• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

How long does the first stage last?!

Tacey

Reaction score
I'm starting to get fed up. I had very mild contractions from 7am yesterday,then they started getting serious around 11pm - just as I went to bed! I've managed to get maybe 2 hours sleep in 15 minute bursts since then and I'm so sleepy. The contractions are really painful now but only every 10 minutes or so and only lasting about 40 seconds. I'm trying to keep moving, but I'm so tired. What are other people's experiences of the first stage and how long it goes on for?

how long is a piece of string???

it varies from lady to lady and pregnancy to pregnancy. with my eldest my whole labour was 7hrs til birth, with my youngest it was 4hrs til birth. this 1 i have been classed as early labour since tuesday! contractions are now less than 5mins apart but osp say not strong enough to be full labour yet!

The first stage can last for days as they don't class this as established labour. Unfortunately you have to grin and bear it and go with the flow. The only time they intervene is when your waters have gone or your baby shows sign of distress in your show/discharge (you would need to call the ward). Good luck with it, I hope it goes well and your labour becomes established very soon. x Ps. My first from start (when my waters went at ASDA) to finish was 2 and half days, but established (3 cms dilated onwards) was 23 and 3/4 hours. My 2nd and third were better at 18 and 14 hours consecutively from start to finish.

I started at 36 + 4 and i had Soph at 38 weeks exactly. Long drawn out process and was so relieved when she was born! Real pain started at 37+4 xx

I was having regular painless contractions from 40w. Waters broke on 40+3 in the morning, by 8pm the contractions were becoming painful, I was in established labour by 4.30am and had my baby at 12.49pm. So I guess about 8-10 hours. But I had a pessary at about 11pm to make things happen faster because of my waters having already broken.

It could be long but everything could also change in the next 15 minutes. It so unpredictable. Hugs to you--that must be so difficult to cope with right now.

The thing is that if you are tired your first priority should be to find a way to rest. As much as we get revved up for the first stage--we needd energy to cope and manage the second stage well. I know that for me exhaustion has been my undoing. Try taking a bath with some lavender in it or burn some candles to relax. You are going to need strength for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"