How long have you been waiting to start IUI/IVF?

Discussion in 'Long Term Trying To Conceive' started by Imaan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Imaan

Imaan Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I am getting really impatient and thought to let off some steam by writing this thread. I've been ttc for 7 years but was referred in November. I won't be starting IUI until July.... that's an 8 month wait since initially seeing the GP about our fertility issues.

I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as me and is waiting around to begin IUI or IVF. If so, how long have you been waiting and what are you doing to stay sane!?

2. KJM2

KJM2 Well-Known Member

we have been trying 2 1/2 years. We referred to FS in august last year seen in November eventually referred for IVF seen in May 2011. Told the wait time is 3 years for NHS IVF in Edinburgh and we can only go on the waiting list once weve been trying 3 years!!!!!!.(as we are classed as unexplained)

For self funded NHS IVF we could start iin Jan 2012........... so were going private.

We know we are lucky we can afford it I just feel for those who have to wait. Its ironic the longer you wait and the older you get the less chance of success. Im 34 and Im not getting any younger If we were to wait for 3 years I would be 38!.......and have gone slowly insane I think with all the waiting.

Fertility treatment in this country (UK) is one big postcode lottery

3. Imaan

Imaan Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! 3 years!!! that's a life time! I am also 34 and can't imagine waiting till I am 38! you must have felt terrible after being told that :(

I am so happy that you have the option to go private. Other than that, I guess one could temporarily move house or seek treatment abroad.

4. Debbie82

Debbie82 Privileged Twin Mummy

We've just been referred in May and told the wait for nHS Lanarkshire is 18 Months:growlmad: but totally appreciate KJM2 it's nothin like your 3 years and as you say postcode lottery! Apparently if you live in the Borders there's no wait but get treated at same hospital as Edinburgh patients:dohh:

Our wait is in addition to trying for 3 years. We are very very lucky that I have the most wonderful mum who is going to pay for upto 2 private cycles. Whilst I might be considered young at 28 I wanna strike whilst the irons hot so to speak :thumbup:

5. MariaF

MariaF A new Mummy!

I don't know... When we went to see our GP when we were only trying about 8 months. But I didn't get periods at all...and they still didn't want to know, so we went private right away. So since May 2010 we've been going private - no waiting lists at all! I loved it.

Thoughout the year I kept going back to my GP to ask for an NHS referral, but was told there's no funding. Then a month ago that changed and we are going for our first free appointment in 3 weeks :happydance: and we are seeing the same dr we saw privately!

I'm also very grateful we could afford to go priivate. I don't know how I would have coped over the last 21 months just being told there's no NHS funding...

Not long till July now!

6. BobDog

BobDog In Limbo...

for my area it's a 3 month waiting list so we are very lucky up here and we are being funded for 3 full cycles and 2 FET's if required so i am counting my blessing with that one and we have cancelled our plans to move away from out area because we don't want to loose out on this fantastic oppertunity, however i have to get my BMI under 35 and at present i am around 40.1 BMI :(
    i have PCOS and possibly a thyroid imbalance which i am waiting results from.

but for now it is a big push to lose the weight and have joined slimming world on line as there are no meetings in my area, so i'm going to try my best at that and it not then i will go to weight watchers meetings for the weigh in's as a kick up be butt and keep the momentum but still follow slimming world rather than weight watchers diet plan if that makes sense? lol.

so right now i am the only thing holding us back at the moment for IVF, and as soon as i am under 35BMI i will be starting the injections! it's a scary thought and almost called it all off. but i'm glad i didn't.

i hope you can hold out with the waiting, and i know that it will be well worth it for you!

xxx

7. Imaan

Imaan Well-Known Member

Ladies: sometimes I don't think they realise how terrible the waiting actually is. I am so happy that you had the opportunity to go private. Maria all the best with your free appointment... it must feel great seeing the same Dr. and knowing you don't have to pay a penny :thumbup:

Jenbrem: that's absolutely wonderful! where do you live? have your tried the South Beach Diet? You can buy a recent copy of the book from Amazon. It's really easy to follow and cuts out all processed foods, snacks etc. very healthy diet. I am currently trying to get my BMI down with it. I lost 2 stones on it... weight watchers never worked for me. I am hoping to lose 2 more stones.

8. Armywife84

Armywife84 Guest

Due to lack of funding, we're waiting till my husband deploys and comes back to start IVF. In the mean time we're still trying naturally and hoping that we can get lucky. While he's gone, I'm moving back in with my parents, going back to school, and helping my dad with his home renovations. So I'll be pretty busy.

7 years, goodness...I don't know how you keep your sanity. I would have already cracked and ended up in the looney bin. What infertility are you facing?

9. Ame

Ame Waiting For Our Miracle

We have been trying for 2.5 yrs. We talked to our GP several times but just now were we able to get referred. We are now on a 4-5 month wait list. I was told to lose about 20 lbs so I'm just focusing on that until we can begin the process. Waiting is very frustrating and we are looking at going to another clinic further away that doesn't require a referral and can get us in within the month.

10. Mummy2Boo

Mummy2Boo Well-Known Member

We've been TTC since March 2008, so over 3 yrs now. Just started on Clomid so that's the next 6mths accounted for and then we'll get a referral for ICSI (FS said there's no point us doing IUI with DH's low count). I'm told the wait list is at least 12 mths for an IVF referral and that's assuming they don't pull the funding here. Only reason we've been told to do the Clomid is that they want to see how well I respond to drugs as it's "highly unlikely" we'll conceive naturally :nope:

We're in the process of getting the house on the market and we're hoping to move to Oxfordshire towards the end of this year so we'll have to see what the NHS provisions are like there. We've already discussed using some of the equity from the sale towards private treatment though.

11. Imaan

Imaan Well-Known Member

Well, it's good to keep busy... definately helps to keep your mind off things. I noticed that when I am realy bored and have lots of time on my hands, I spend the day wallowing and dreaming and depressing!

Yes 7 years is a long time. It feels it too, although to be honest I have not been 'trying, trying' for that long.... just thought it would happen though... and got pre-occupied with life. Then all of a sudden realised that I am 34 and I don't have children. The issue is low :sperm: count. Same as your dh I think.

12. Imaan

Imaan Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Just waiting a few months for me feels like a life time! My mood swings from high to very low.. it is a rollercoster in every sense. And like you, on top of everything I need to lose weight... most women find that a big enough stress and challenge by itself. I think we are real heros for enduring what we have :hugs: I hope you are able to get a referral from the other clinic :hugs:

13. Imaan

Imaan Well-Known Member

:hugs: Wishing you all the best with the clomid. I wonder why they decided to put you on clomid though if it's due to male factor infertility. If they wanted to see how you would respond, surely they could do that during an ICSI cycle. Are you sure you will be on them for 6 months? I think 1 month is good enough to check a patient's response. 12 months is a long wait :( can they not put you on the list now whilst your are going through this trial of clomid? how low is the sperm count? my consultant said she is not hopeful about IUI since my dh's count is so low. WIsh we could have just gone straight for ICSI.

:hugs:

14. Armywife84

Armywife84 Guest

That's understandable...you see everyone else getting pregnant around you so you put it off, or you're not doing anything to prevent and welcoming it if it does happen. I have the upmost respect for those women who are in their 30s and have done just about everything they wanted to do before having children. But I am curious as to if their biological time clock has gone off or not, that broodiness can come at any age or not at all. I find myself wishing I didn't want children because it's such a struggle.

A little story for you my (father's sister) aunt married my uncle when she was 35. She had done all about she wanted to do and was the head nurse at a hospital in Chicago, feeling accomplished she of course wanted children. So when it came down to trying, they found out at the end of the year that her husband had a low count. My aunt checked out just fine. They decided to do IUI..in which she got lucky and it took the first time. A couple of years they try it again and it works again the first time. So there's some hope.

We've decided IVF because of his really low motility on both SA's. IUI, in my opinion would be a waste of time for us. It sucks that you have to put a price on something that should be priceless.

15. Imaan

Imaan Well-Known Member

That's a really positive story :) thank you for sharing that :hugs: and lucky your aunt didn't have to go down the IVF route