How long to be off BCP before wwt?

snowflakes120

Mama Birdie!!
Reaction score
We are wtt in Late July/Early August. I have been on BCP for 12 years. I have been planning to get off them in May, that would give me a full 3 months to get my periods regular. I can't remember for the life of me - how regular my periods were before I started them as I was so young. I have no idea what a normal timeframe is for a womans body to adjust. I am wondering, do y'all think that is enough time to get them on a schedule? Should I get off them sooner? I have no idea what the best thing to do is....

Basically we really really really want to get pregnant our first 3 months of trying in either August, Sept or Oct due to hubby being in school and summer of 2012 would perfect for a birth for us.

I'm not sure how much time you should allow your body.

I'm planning to go off of BC right before TTC, but I've only been on BCP for about two years.
After 12 years it might take you a couple months to get back to having regular periods.

I've stopped my bcp 6months before I've been on it 5years and took my last one about 2 weeks ago. I don't think there is a set time frame as everyone's body is different. If your worried 3 months wont be long enough I'd stop it sooner just to be safe
Good luck xx

It all depends on how your cycles are off the pill. It can take anything up to a year for cycles to return to your normal pattern x

I was on the pill for 12 years (with a year break in 2005) and I came off the pill in Oct-10 (we are TTC in Aug-11) I wanted to make sure my cycle is back to normal as I heard it could take up to a year! and although my cycles now seem to be stable they are short and I am trying to chart to just make sure it is all functioning properly (I am 30 now will be 31 in Apr)

So if you want a quick conception and your going to try July/August I would probably come off sooner if you can just to be sure! only my opinion

Hi,
I spoke to my doctor about this and she said to just come off the pill when we were ready to start trying.
So we came off the pill in December and i am now on my second cycle. Touchwood it seems like mine are going to be quite regular. (i was on the pill for 11 years with no break)
I think there is no way of knowing, you could come off in May and it could take them a year to regulate, or you could come off and they would be fine straightaway.
Even if your cycles aren't regular you can still get pregnant, it just makes it a bit tricker to figure out the due date.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
x

Hiya,

Congrats on having a ttc start date!

I was on the pill for 12 years too before I came off to ttc. My doctor suggested that as soon as we were ready to try I just stop taking them. My cycles had been all over the place before, ranging anything from 22 days long to 46 days so I didn't have a clue when I ovulated etc. I didn't like the idea of charting and temping etc, I just wanted it to happen on it's own so we just had sex every other day from the day after my withdrawal bleed and i fell pregnant first try.

I would say though if you plan on charting and temping and want to know what your body is like then coming off 3 months before I'd say is a good place to starf!

Good luck!

X

I was on the pill for 5 years before having my DD and came off the pill and conceived straight away in our first month of trying, however I have heard of some women that it has taken months to get regular cycles back and I don't think there is any way of knowing how your body will react.

3 months sounds a decent amount of time to suss out what is going on if you are worried and really want to track your cycles in advance and don't mind using another form of contraceptive like condoms then come off even earlier.

What every happens I wish you luck when you TTC later in the year

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->