How long to leave between IVFs...Back to back cycles?

tulip girl

Reaction score
So, my last IVF was a fail. I came on last Thursday...I potentially want to start my next IVF on my next period. This means there would only be the 'breakthrough' bleed as clinic calls it. The nurse phoned today and said my doctor would like me to have another period before we start again. I would not! For me, next month would be ideal as I won't be at work (I'm a teacher, so I'm on holiday) I find the whole thing difficult in that my work is lovely, yet very gossipy and everyone knows your business. More people than I wanted knew about my last cycle, and to be honest I don't want anyone knowing his time. My class are also SEN and hard work.
So my question is anyone go back-to-back with cycles? From researching it seems they like to give you a rest to recuperate/destress - but I find cycling while working the most stressful thing! I'm fine emotionally and just want my best shot at next time (and believe this will be if I can go next month)
Does anyone know of any reasons why I couldn't go next month? Just looking for some arguments for my case when I get to speak to the doctor!!
Many thanks xxx

Sorry I don't have an answer about back to back, but my clinic requires us to wait 2 months (3 periods) between ivf/fet. They said it's to let the ovaries recover, they apparently take a while to return to their pre-ivf size

My doctor asked me to wait for a period before we did a second IVF cycle in 2013. She wanted my body to recover a bit from the ER and to let all of my meds leave my system before trying again. Hopefully someone will be able to offer more information about back-to-back cycles for you. Good luck!

I live in Denmark but I also had 1 cycle between my 2 IVFs (IVF #2 worked and am almost 27 weeks) but think that was also partially because IVF #1 resulted in a CP. But I do think they may very well have given me a forced break anyway even though I didn't produce more than 3 eggs. I think that's just normal procedure to put you on at least 1 cycle break in between. Maybe have a talk with your RE and find out the reasons from him/her?

Hi, Tulip girl! I'm so terribly sorry for your failed cycle. Firstly would like to say it depends on us how long we should wait before another attempt. Sometimes we are ready to move on physically, but alas emotionally not. After my fresh ivf cycle with OE in 2013 which ended in a miscarriage we took quite a long break because I couldn't cope emotionally. Almost did let the thought of living childfree get stuck in my head.. But time flew and I started to feel better and better. The previous desire showed off again and we proceeded with another ivf cycle this time with donor egg in a clinic abroad. So all in all, our break was even longer than 1.5 years, but it was worth it. I regained my strength and self-confidence and became ready to "work" again.
I'm wishing the process to be fast and smooth for you. May God help all people struggling! X

Just updating this for anyone in the future who is looking for answers. My clinic are letting me go ahead with cycling this month. So I have only had the bleed from my negative cycle and will start stimming again on my first 'true' period that will start in the next week or so.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and good wishes. It's lovely that people who don't even know you, take time to help. Xxx

Updating for future ttcers! When I was looking for answers about starting my next IVF cycle asap, I always wanted to know the outcome of the threads/posts I'd read...so I thought I'd update! I was interested if a back-to-back cycle was;
a) allowed by doctors (they usually like a 2 month break) b) the effect of back-to-back cycles on egg number/quality.

Here are my results so far:-

Cycle 1 - started stimming June 1st 2016 for 8 days (450 menopur)
3 eggs retrieved, all mature, 3 fertilised.
An early blastocyst and 1 full blastocyst transferred on Day 5. Final embryo not suitable for freezing. RESULT - chemical pregnancy

Cycle 2 - started stimming July 26th 2016 for 9 days (525 menopur)
11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 6 fertilised
Currently growing them to Day 5 but all 6 are looking good.

Will update with final embryo transfer etc and then pregnancy result when it happens.

So sorry for your failed cycle. I did 4 fresh cycles in a yearx with better results on each one. So no harm in doing them close for me.

Just updating this for future ladies who are searching the net for answers/info and perhaps stumble upon this thread.

So in the end I transferred 2 great looking blastocysts and we managed to freeze another 1. 2 more made it to blastocyst, but weren't suitable for freezing.

Unfortunately, this cycle looks like it's ending in a chemical pregnancy too. Many thanks to all who gave advice\good wishes. I'm hoping to move forward with a FET when I've given myself a little rest. I don't regret doing back-to-back cycles at all though and I'm guessing it's probably my ancient eggs that are the problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->