how many Braxton Hicks is too many!?

tiffanyleigh

Reaction score
Last night for at least an hour I had BH every 6 minutes on the dot!

I googled and there were mixed reviews on whether to go in or just wait it out so I just went to bed and tried to get some sleep.. unsuccessfully of course!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? What did your doctors say?

I am 35 weeks 3 days right now and with my first I didn't have BH like this; my water broke at 36 weeks, despite being on medicine to stop labor, and she was born 6 hours later!

With your history of ring delivery suite. No harm in seeing what they say. Good luck :)

I read if you have more then 4 in an hour you should ring. with your history it would be best to phone them

I was told that if there are more than 6 in an hour, to call. To be honest, I haven't actually adhered to that. I just figure if they don't get worse, I'm probably fine.

I was told that if there are more than 6 in an hour, to call. To be honest, I haven't actually adhered to that. I just figure if they don't get worse, I'm probably fine.
Same here even though I also went early with my babies...but I'd ring them if you're concerned.

I got a solid scolding from my midwife because I was having some more-than-braxton-hicks and just passed them off as particularly strong and insistent BH's... I ended up effaced and slightly dilated. Whoops! So it's probably a good idea to call, especially if you tend to go early.

I've been getting them every 5 mins to 35 mins for 3 days straight. ... I was told not to come in unless they're more than a minute in length and 5 mins apart. If you stand up or move and they go away or change frequency there's no need to go in.

With your history I'd call if it were to happen again, or if they got closer together, lasted 1 minute, and got stronger.

That being said, when I was pregnant with DS, I got BH just about every day at around 35 weeks, many were more than 6 in one hr, some were quite painful, but none ever developed a real pattern or got closer together. I was so certain he'd be born early, but I didn't actually go into labor until 40 weeks, so anything is possible.

I have been having BH with cramping for two weeks now. They got to be very painful and I felt baby pushing. Turns out they where still BH at 5-10mins apart even with cramping. Hospital sent me home. I have been having BH again all day today. This is such a hard question to answer because it seems like it's unpredictable and different for everyone. With your history I'd give dr a ring just to see what they recommend for you! I was told by my hospital they don't want to see me til water breaks or I lose mucous plug and I live 35 mins away from my hospital. Unsure I feel comfortable with my obgyns suggestion for me.

It could be worth phoning and asking but as others have said this can go on for weeks. I never had them in my first pregnancy but in this one it's been every day for two weeks. Always worse and more painful in the evening but has yet to turn into anything.

If you are worried call. Tbh I have never bothered calling in as for me personally it is pretty normal to get tonnes. Last time I had them every 5-20 mins non stop all day and night from 24 weeks. They were very uncomfortable and sometime a bit painful. I delivered at 34+1 weeks but I knew as soon as they changed from BH to real contractions.

This time my BH started at 15 weeks but were very mild and infrequent. By the time I was into the 20's weeks I have often had days where I can get a good 2-3 hours, some times even several hours solid, of getting BH every 2-3 mins. Sometimes it is just uncomfy, sometimes very uncomfortable and sometimes painful.

I have been going on the basis that if the length of the BH themselves are not increasing and stay at around their usual 20-30 seconds I just need to rest. Make sure you keep well hydrated as being dehydrated can cause BH too.

thanks everyone! i think i will just wait and see if they get any longer or more intense before going in or anything. so far they have only lasted about 30-45 seconds and it seems to be worse in the evening like i've just overdone it during the day.

Im 38 weeks and 5 days, I get sometimes up to 20 a day. I discussed it with my midwife and she did say every woman's body/every pregnancy is different (of course) but that it is completely normal. As long as they aren't getting more and more painful or closer together and it's just that slight discomfort and tightening it's just your body getting nice and ready :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->