How many words does your 18 month oldish say?

Mee_Mummy

Mummy to DS & DD ~ <3
Reaction score
DS is 17 months and can only say Mama, Dada, Nana, Bye Bye and Dog. He babbles no stop and when i tell him to 'bring me a book' he will bring me a book, he knows what things are just will not say anything.

We have been reading the same book since he was 6 months old every night in his bath - i say reading, its a picture bath book - and he still can not say anything from the book. He can point to a few of them like duck and frog but he cant say them he doesnt even attempt to. He doesnt attempt to say new words at all.

Should i be worried? How can i get him talking? We read, i talk to him loads, pretend play, make dens etc, when ever we are out walking i will point to things and try to get him to talk but he wont.

So how many words can your 18 month old say??

Ok my Lo isn't 18 months but he still doesn't say much either. I shall watch this thread if that's ok as I'm a little bothered about it too :hugs: for you

of course that is ok silly! Hope this thread helps you as well.. :hugs:to you too xx

Alfie didn't say many words at 18 months I would say around 30-40 but now never stops talking and I can have full on conversations with him and by 2 was putting 4/5 words together.

Molly is 18 months now and can say any word I ask her to repeat and is saying 3/4 word sentences now.

It just shoes how different children are I havnt done anything different with them but she here's Alfie talk and repeats him all the time.

Mama
Dada
Ta
Whassssdat (whats that)

:shrug:

My HV isnt worried. She said he would get there in his own time x

Madeline's speech is pretty good - she will repeat, or at least attempt to repeat, everything, and can sing lines of the odd song, string a couple of words together and answer what seems like any question. I would say she has between 30-40 words. But she is quite advanced in her speaking (according to nursery and other mums), and most of her little friends around the same age do not say half as much. Some say fewer words than you describe here.

Everything comes when it's ready. Understanding things is much more important than being able to say them x

Harry is nearly 19 months and can say mummy, daddy, nanny, grandpa, Harry, ball, boat, car, lorry, tractor, digger, doggie, please, all gone, no, tata, bye bye, night night (na na). Some are clear and some of them only I understand! His 21 month old cousin only says about 2 words, they are all so different, I wouldn't be worrying yet if I were you!

issy is 20 months old and she can only say mama, baba, oh no and no. so not a lot really

I understand your worry but honestly all kids are different!! Katerina only says a few words. She just doesn't seem interested in repeating things and the words she says its mostly things that fascinate her rather than the things we keep repeating to her every day! Go figure! :dohh:

Like you say though, if I ask her to bring me a book or her water she will do so, if I say: lets go change your nappy she'll run to her room so she does understand much much more than what she is saying. They will get there eventually! To be honest I love this language of hers that she is bubbling in, its quite funny to listen to! :haha:

Zachary is only 16 and a half months, but hope you don't mind me posting as he says just over 30 words:

hello
hi
bye
let's go
yeaahh!!
nose
toes
teeth
belly
ceiling
tree
car
oh no
no
don't know
tea
mummy
daddy
boo (boob)
dinner
nana / nanee (banana)
weeee!
ack ack (like a duck)
Ernie (his cuddly dinosaur)
grrr... (dinosaur growl)
cheese
carrot
yummy
ball
oww!
shoe
telly
stomp
hey
boo

Alfie didn't say many words at 18 months I would say around 30-40 but now never stops talking and I can have full on conversations with him and by 2 was putting 4/5 words together.

Molly is 18 months now and can say any word I ask her to repeat and is saying 3/4 word sentences now.

It just shoes how different children are I havnt done anything different with them but she here's Alfie talk and repeats him all the time.

Id say 30-40 words at 18 months is way above average :shrug:

Emily is 17 months and can say mummy,cat,bye,mooooo and ben, Im not worried though as she understands when I say bring me the phone, or where is daddy she ll point for example

Emily is 17 months and can say mummy,cat,bye,mooooo and ben, Im not worried though as she understands when I say bring me the phone, or where is daddy she ll point for example

My HV said that they should be saying around 6 words at 18 months, so yes 30-40 is way above average!

When Sophie was 18 months (a month ago) she could only say a handful of words, but over the last couple of weeks she is starting to say something new every day, so can now say about 20 I think x

Aiden had around 30 words by 15 months and now he just copied everything and can say words together like - stairs - anna (meaning go upstairs and see the rabbit anna) etc

But my friends LO is the same age and only days odd words like mama dada nanny they all are so diff she walked about 4 months before aiden.... xx

Ok, I was so worried as my LO didn't say any words, he's 21 months old. We went on holiday for a week recently, and when we came back he was all of a sudden talking!
He says
Spider
Car
Birdy
Fish
Cat
Bye bye
He went from nothing to that in a week! I thought he'd never talk lol x

My LO is 18 months on the 30th, she can't say much. She can say Mama, Daddy (I think.. not clearly though) Knees and Eyes.

They all come on at different rates. My LO can understand SO much, she just can't speak.
I honestly think understanding is more important than talking at the moment :flower:

My HV said that they should be saying around 6 words at 18 months, so yes 30-40 is way above average!

Glad you said that as I'd always been told by the nursery that my daughter's speech is good and I was starting to think they were lying to me after reading this thread, because she is nearly 19 months old and she probably only says half of what some others here say. The 22 month old I look after, however, says anything you say and used 4-5 word sentences! She also sings songs to herself (not necessarily with all the words) - her speech is amazing and like nothing I've heard from a child her age in all my years working with children! But she has an older brother who is very very forward and chats at her non-stop!

I can't remember all the words Isabella says, but off the top of my head:
Hello
Bye Bye/ tata - whichever she's in the mood to say!
Der (there)
Wha dat?
Who dat?
Shoes
Cat
Tigger (our cat)
Hor (horse)
Geor (George - our horse)
Ed tiiiiii (bedtime, said in same tone of voice I use!)
Nana - Banana
Dada/daddy
Andaaaa (grandad)
Ellya (Elliott - name of child I look after)
Mamamama (mummy lol)
Uh stairs (upstairs)
Door
Ca (cow)
Ta (thank you - not sure who taught her that one! She says ta if she wants something from you or wants to give you something).
Row row (she loves row row row your boat)
Ot-ohhh
No
Yes

She understands EVERYTHING. She follows commands, she listens. She uses so much tone, expression, variation and volume in her voice and babbles and converses constantly. Although she only has the words above (and a few more I can't for the life of me think of), she gestures a lot - points and makes vocal sounds to communicate. She uses some babble that I can understand even though they may not be words. She also smacks her lips to kiss and goes 'aaaaaaahhhhh' when she wants a cuddle from anyone. She also copies sounds; for eg, we were on a steam train the other day and the whistle blew and she copied it using her vocal chords!!

She's not behind; the nursery say she's got very good speech and her expression for one of her age is excellent, but I know it doesn't stop you worrying!

About 30 words but she went from nothing to 30 within the last month; it happened very quickly and now she copies practically everything we say. "They" don't worry about speech until the 26 month review so I'd just wait and see how the next few weeks/months pan out for your LO x

DD is 17 months and she says Mummy, Daddy, Hiya, Bye, Yes, No (alot), Car, Booby, Bowl, Baa (when watching Timmy Time), Bob (as in the builder) and Pat (as in postman), god she watched too much telly doesn't she!

She also says Randma (Grandma), doo's (Shoes), tees (trees) and boon (spoon)

But a month ago she wasn't saying much bar no and Bye, she babbles alot though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->