how much breastmilk needed w/ solids?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Soph22, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Soph22

Soph22 Well-Known Member

Hi all-
    My little guy is 6 1/2 months old. I've been breastfeeding the whole time. He started solids at 5 months and just recently went to eating solids 3 times/day.

I'm going back to work soon and am not sure how much milk I need to send w/ him to daycare. It seems like he's been taking less from me the last week or so and my supply seems to have gone down slightly when I pump.

I'm very nervous about having enough milk for him to have while away for me. I know formula is ok, but I'd much rather he have breastmilk at least until he's one. I have been freezing so I have some stored up and I plan on pumping 3 times a day at work.

I know every baby is different and there is no "magic answer" but what have you found? About how often is your baby breastfeeding now that s/he is on solids? About how much are they drinking a day? Sometimes I wish our boobs had mL lines :haha:

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

2. MissFox

MissFox Soon2BMomOf3

Hi! :wave:

My baby takes 4-5oz bottles usually and has them every few hours. Pretty sure my DH doesn't feed her as much food as I do though. Didn't want to R&R.I suggest trying to just send your usual amount of milk to see how it goes for a couple days