How much does your car cost to run per month??

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by CatStorey, Feb 1, 2011.

1. CatStorey

CatStorey Mum to Chloe and Tom :)

I am going to be getting a car soon :happydance:

I have never driven or had a car so absolutly no idea how much I am looking to be spending per month. Just hoping I can afford it really :shrug:

I know everyones costs will be different and it depends on the car ect but I just need an idea really. I honestly have no clue!!

The costs that I know of are -

-Finance for the actual car

-Insurance

-MOT

-Tax

-Petrol

Is this it?? Are there anymore??

Thanks everyone :flower:

2. xxxjacxxx

xxxjacxxx My Eggo is Preggo!

I adore my car, but unfortunately Its going up for sale as I cannot get 4 kids in it safely:nope: and I need something a little bigger.

I have an Audi A2 TDI 1.4 SE
    This is she https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz112/SiggyStoreUK/Random%20shizzle/a2.jpg:cloud9:

-Finance for the actual car- No paid outright £5.5 K

-Insurance - £32 monthly (lowest insurance group)

-MOT- Yearly around £40 (if nothing needs fixing)

-Tax - This is the best one! £30 PER YEAR

-Petrol - No, diesel, another reason we are selling, as I just dont do the mileage/journeys to warrant a diesel and is now costing more than a petrol would.

Other things to consider, you will need to replace tyres as and when needed. My car is around every 2 years. You will need to service your car too, keep it topped with oil and water.:thumbup:

3. amie-leigh

amie-leigh Mummy To Princess Morgan

i dont have a car yet but my OH was looking at how much his costs so i will put down his info to give you a rough idea

he drives a P reg Toyota corrola (known as the old banger)

-Finance for the actual car he bought it outright for £500

-Insurance he pays £59 a month fully comp

-MOT last one in October cost £300 that was for the mot its self and 4 new tyres and new brake pads

-Tax he gets it free due to disability

-Petrol around £40 a month his work is 15minute drive away and he drives that 6days a week and then weekly trip to asda :haha:

also as Jac said oil, tyres if they need replacing and OH just paid out £200 two weeks ago on a new exhaust after his fell apart :dohh:

4. ames_x

ames_x Mummy to 2 beautiful boys

I have a Y reg Fiat Punto 1.2 and it was my first car, I'm hoping to sell it once I have it fixed :dohh:

-Finance for the actual car - Paid outright

-Insurance - £78 a month. And I had to pay a deposit, think it was around £200? Can't remember lol.

-MOT - £35 I think?

-Tax - Mine is £120 a year

-Petrol - I use quite abit of petrol because I'm a career so I'm driving to each call and inbetween. I don't actually know how much I put in, I try not to use it as often anymore because of how much petrol is lol.

All I would say is make sure you have spare money saved up. My power steering went in my car 3 weeks ago, it's going to cost me £300 to fix :nope:

5. topsy

topsy Well-Known Member

Hi Hun,

I have a little auto micra 53 reg, cost me £5,000 4 years ago, which i paid outright I had to borrow about £1000 ish from my parents, but they let me pay it back with no interest :)

MOT £40 The garage my OH uses were doing a minor services and mot for £90 last year when I had mine done, so i got it all out of the way at once.

Car insurance £ 240 ish a year, I have all the extras with mine.

We also have join tesco car breakdown which i think was about £80 for the 2 cars, we went for the middle package with home start, but you can do a cheaper one.

I got 2 new tyres last year and i think they were around £90 for both, but you can shop around for these, we went again for the middle range ones.

Petrol???? Now cost me £46 ish for a full tank, which lasts me about 3 weeks, buts would obviously depend on how many miles you do, sorry dont count mine, so couldn't tell you. My OH had a toyota igio and it cost him about £34 to fill it up and that lasts him nearly a month, but he really only uses it to go 3 miles backwards and forward to work, and its got cheap tax, about £35 a year :) mine was £155 last may.

I TRY to save around £50 a month to cover next years, MOT service, insurance, breakdown cover, tax and tyres if needed but its not always possible :(

Enjoy your car when you get it :)

xxx

6. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

My insurance will be like 200 a month :( lol

7. CatStorey

Eeeeee! Its expensive to run a car :(

I do have get one as my current commute is 2 hours each way 5 days a week on various buses and trains and poor Chloe is getting tired and pissed off which in turn makes me tired and pissed off...lol! A car would make my life sooo much easier :)

Do you reckon this looks realistic?? -

Insurance - £80 a month (I am thinking as its my first car it will be quite expensive)

Petrol - £50 a month (I will only be driving 10 mins 2 x a day to the childminders 5 days a week, then small random trips on the weekend)

Tax - Am I right this is paid yearly?? Also is the cost of this depending on how new/posh your car is? So say I am getting a cheapish car maybe £200 once a year?

MOT - Again is this paid once a year? So say £200 a year

I am hoping to borrow the money for a car from the bank of Mum and Dad...he he!! Hoping to pay maybe £50 a month.

And Jac I LOVE you car.....its georgous!! I bet you will be sad to see it go :(

8. babydevil1989

babydevil1989 Well-Known Member

our insurance is £40 a month and petrol £20 a week. then tax twice a year and services and stuff (but i dont pay for those as stepdad is a mechanic!) M.O.T once a year xx

9. ames_x

ames_x Mummy to 2 beautiful boys

Your insurance may be more than that because you will be a first time driver :nope: also depends on age it will be over £100... but shop around as you may find it cheaper :thumbup:

10. aly888

aly888 Lana-Boo's mummy & WTT #2

-Finance for the actual car - None, paid outright

-Insurance - £400 for the year FC. Would probably be around £40-£50/month if I paid monthly. I paid £750 for my insurance as a learner (TPFT) a few years ago, but it was on a much smaller car. Depending on the engine size you are looking at I think £80 should cover that fine :thumbup:

-MOT - £35/year, assuming nothing needs fixing :lol:

-Tax - This one creeps up on me every year...can't remember exactly but it's something like £240 for 12 months. My OH pays something like £280 for his :shock:

-Petrol - I fill mine up with diesel every week and a bit...costs about £75/tank at the moment. It's suprising how quick it goes, even if you are only doing little journeys here and there.

You have to take into account servicing costs as well. If you want your car to last you MUST service it regularly. To get a garage to do it you are looking at around £100-£200 a year...if you or your OH can do it, you will probably be looking at around £30-£50 for non-genuine parts.

HTH x

11. Chocciebutton

Chocciebutton Well-Known Member

Ive just been reading this and its got me thinking......ive just passed my theory test and I am hoping to take my practical soon, if I get a relatively cheap car to insure, how much do you think I will be looking at? I am 39

12. CatStorey

Thanks so much...your all so helpful x x x

So I think I am looking at around £250 per month.

I can put into a separate bank account around £50 per month to save for Tax, MOT and servicing. Then £200 per month for insurance, petrol and money to pay my mum for the car :)

Am so jealous everyone bought their car outright.....wish I could afford to do that!

13. Mrs Mayhem

Mrs Mayhem Guest

Hey, I have a 05 Vauxhall Meriva and I pay....

-Finance for the actual car - Nothing, paid outright for it

-Insurance - It was £30 per month for me but since hubby passed his test and went on it, its gone up to £68 per month!

-MOT - about £40 if no repairs needed

-Tax - I can't remember but think its £130 per year

-Petrol - If its just me driving then around £100 per month, if Hubby is taking it to work then it's nearer £300 per month!!!

14. aly888

aly888 Lana-Boo's mummy & WTT #2

My dad bought me my first car, and I've been very lucky since. It got written off for more than I paid for it, meaning I could buy something better to replace it. Then I sold that for more than I paid for it and bought my now car much cheaper than it is/was worth, so only had to save a little bit extra to afford it. I suggest starting small and working up...and looking after it well so you don't lose money on it :thumbup:

15. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy Mummy to Jack and Mia

I have a ford fiesta and pay...

£226 a month - (but I pay for all my tax, insurance yearly)
    Plus general repairs

So not too bad.. :)

16. TennisGal

TennisGal Well-Known Member

Cat - have you thought about leasing a car? My friend has just done this - she flew into a complete rage at how much money she had lost when she sold her old car, so is now leasing. Takes care of tax and MOT…I think all you have to pay for is insurance and running costs. If anything goes wrong, she just phones the garage and they deal with it / pay.

To be honest, she’s finding the whole thing fab! Am not sure how much she pays a month for the car. No gut-wrenching depreciation to angst over, though!

I’m not sure how much ours costs to run, I leave all that to DH! :blush:

I’d recommend, if buying, that you look at fuel consumption – as this is what can turn a car into a money guzzling nightmare. Also look at something that is a decent enough size for you and your family to ‘grow’ into. Maybe a Polo or a Golf?

17. TennisGal

Oh, and congrats on passing your test! Bet you can't wait to get behind the wheel?

18. foxyroxie

foxyroxie Well-Known Member

cars paid outright for

insurance is £150 a monthtfor both of us

mot £30

tax £120 every 6 months a think

petrol roughly about £60 a week

were looking at selling ours and getting a diesal cause we speand stupid ammounts on fuel oh is a mechanic so dont have to pay for anything to be done on the car just parts which we get on trade to

19. CatStorey

Ooooh, I'll have a look into this car leasing Tennis Gal, thanks :)

And I haven't actually passed my test yet....lol! I have my intensive driving course booked for March (I know everyone told me not to do it....but I have no choice!) so trying to get myself sorted.

20. TennisGal

Good luck! You'll be fine - just be confident :)

My friend said leasing costs can be anything from £100 plus per month, depending on what kind of car you get, and for how long. Cars are all brand new.