How much estradiol/PIO does your RE have you on?

skookie

Reaction score
Sometimes when I read these boards I feel like my RE has me on way too much estradiol/estrace and progesterone/PIO. If birth control can be dangerous and lead to stroke, can't estrogen and progesterone in these high doses be even worse?? I have tried to just trust my RE on this but now that I'm having weird symptoms (possibly pregnancy symptoms I guess?) I'm anxious.

Back story.. I had a frozen embryo transfer a few weeks ago and it did result in a bfp (hopefully I am allowed to say that..Trust me, waiting for it took a huge portion of my adult life so far). So because of the bfp I have to stay on the PIO shots (100 mg/day) and estradiol (2mg, 4x/day!). Why do I need so much?? Isn't the pregnancy producing its own hormones and stuff? I know I should be asking my RE but he takes any kind of anxious questioning as doubting him and he gets visibly irritated.

Can anyone help calm my frail little nerves?

Some people like me, our body doesnt produce much and needs alot of help.

I had a bfp from my Fet but unfortunate had a spontaneous mc Wednesday for unknown reasons. But to answer your question: I was on100mg PIO, vaginal progesterone and an estradiol patch. Your dose is correct and really isn't that much compared to some protocols. Also your placenta won't take over until around 9-10 weeks so right now you arent making any hormones on your own. Your body makes those only when you ovulate. The estrogen Increases as the egg matures and stays elevated while pregnant. The follicle that releases the egg releases progesterone until the placenta takes over but since you did not ovulate this "natural" process cannot happen. Your body will pick up when the placenta is established around 10 weeks. If you go off the meds before the placenta takes over you will lose the pregnancy since it needs those hormones to thrive. Good luck with everything!!

On my last ivf cycle which I had my son from :)
I was on 1200mg vaginal & rectal progesterone and 2mg estrogen 3x day I stopped them around 12 weeks

High hormone levels can cause blood clots which lead to stroke etc... Usually people you develop these are pre disposed i e if your mother or grandma has had a dvt stroke you will be higher risk... But when your body is pregnant especially later month you produce large amounts of these hormone so you will have the same risk regardless of medication...

If your concerned consult your Doctor but keep an eye out for painful red legs, etc

& congratulations :D

When you do a FET or IVF there is no corpus luteum cysts as you do not ovulate naturally and in natural cycles the corpus luteum cyst is what produces the hormones that support a pregnancy. Now you have to wait for your placenta to take over before you stop the drugs. I was on PIO, progesterone suppositories AND oral progesterone. Then I was on Estrace orally and a shot of estrogen every 3rd day. That wasn't enough estrogen to support my pregnancy so they also added patches. They know what they are doing and these levels of hormones you make when on the supplements will not be different than the levels of hormones you make when pregnant naturally. You will be ok. Congrats :)

When I did ivf turned iui, I was on two hundred progesterone and 2mil of estrogen. First patch then switched to pills. I also when I do clomid or natural cycles on the same thing as my body has a really hard time reproducing either hormone. What ur doc has u on sounds right . If u have anyquestions call ur doc office. Im sure the nurse will be helpful with ur concerns x.

Thanks so much for all your answers ladies!!! Sorry I am just now making it back to say this. I didn't realize all that about not producing the hormones since I didn't ovulate. I'm grateful for all this modern medicine that sustains our babies.. I'm about 8.5 weeks now so it sounds like it won't be too long before the natural processes take over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->