How much folic acid???

miss_nat84

Mummy to Ella & Ruby
Reaction score
Hi ladies, just wondering how much folic acid you are all taking? My vitamins which i need to start taking have 500mcg and ive been taking megafol (folic acid tablets) 500mcg between loosing my baby in November last year and now. Ive just found out i am pregnant again (very early im still 2 days before AF is meant to show her face and i took the test and got a positive 3 days ago), and ive been told that taking extra folic acid can be beneficial. I just don't want to do anything that could risk losing this baby. How much do you all take? 😚

The standard amount is 400mcg but if your bmi is over 35 (in my trust policy) you take 500mcg. It's a vitamin so I doubt you would do harm taking 500mcg, but at the same time I haven't heard of any benefit unless you need it, 400mcg seems sufficient :)
Where have you heard that extra is beneficial?

I'm sorry about the loss of your baby, love, I am sending light to your rainbow, cling on! X

I take a huge amount.. 5mg of megafol, plus 500mcg in my prenatals.. so that's 5500mcg. I only take that much because I have had a baby with spina bifida. Anything at 500mcg is a good amount, unless you have spina bifida anywhere in your families.. taking more won't do any harm though, but isn't necessarily needed :)

My prenatal has 600 mcg folate. I think 400 is standard but I've seen the range of 400-800 mcg as what is recommended when I recently looked it up. When this bottle of vitamins is gone I am switching brands, and will then be taking 800mcg. If you don't have the MTHFR gene or don't have a history of neural tube defects in your family, I would think all you would need is the standard amount, although I don't think taking a little extra is harmful.

ive been taking 1000 mcg for months before getting pregnant and still taking that much now.. thats how much they recommend here (canada)

I believe mine is 800 or 1000. I don't know if it makes a difference but my prenatal has folate vs folic acid, which I hear is better than the synthetic folic acid.

I take the 400mcg and the 800mg thats in my pnv. My OH sister had a very very mild case of spinal bifida. So just to be on the safe side I take a little extra

I take the standard 400mcg, I use the free NHS pills they give me! I don't think it harms to take more though! I eat fortified cereal and foods containing folate as well and all seems well!

Thank you ladies :) my vitamins have 500mcg so maybe i can juat start taking those without taking the extra 500mcg in the megafol tablets. I have a doctors appointment today so i might see what she says :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->