How much food to give 5month old?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by Aphrodite, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Aphrodite

Aphrodite Well-Known Member

Iv started to give jack solids but not regularly.im just not sure how much i should be giving him.he will just keep eating and eating until i stop.i think iv been giving him too much but i just assumed he'd let me know when he'd had enough but no!he had 2 broccoli florets at lunchtime on sunday and on monday he was sick and sick and sick with broccoli bits in it. when he had carrots his poo had undigested white lumps in it.
    Is it that perhaps he is not ready for solids or that he's having too much?

2. ke29

ke29 Well-Known Member

maybe not ready. I started weaning at 5 months and didnt have that problem and he quickly went from one ice cube full to 4. I havent tried broccoli though. White lumps in poo is usually a sign of undigested fat so wouldnt be from the carrot. I would be inclined to just watch and see, the fact he opens his mouth and takes it is a sign of readiness and babies dont wont over feed so it may even be his body adjusting.

3. Farie

Farie Well-Known Member

I'd say not ready, at his age I'd stick to baby rice and something like pear which is very very low allergen

4. lily123

lily123 Mammy <3

I'd say not ready!
    He's not even 5 months old yet, too early for weaning.

5. starrybean

starrybean Proud Mom of One

Hey, I was told to wait until 6 months to give broccoli as it's very high in fibre.

Maybe just stick to porridge for now & do the 4 day rule when you try a new veg/fruit. Sounds like his tum might not be ready yet though :flower:

6. Aphrodite

Thanks for the advice.true maybe i was bit over enthusiastic!wonder what those lumps were then.looked like chewed up chewing gum :shrug: i actually gave him some baby cereal this morning which went down much better.i would be inclined to wait but he doesn't seem very interested in his milk but watches every mouthful i eat and drink!

7. starrybean

starrybean Proud Mom of One

Sounds like it was undigested food :flower:

I'd stick to the baby porridge for a while and then at least he will be getting some more milk too :) It can bung them up though :dohh:

8. MrsR32

MrsR32 Mum to twin boys

I would think he'd be ok if the veg was pureed - I've been giving my twins pureed veg since 17 weeks (on advice of paediatrician to help with reflux) and not had any problems but nothing I've given them had any lumps.

9. Aphrodite

The veg i gave him was completely pureed,no lumps atall which is why it was weird. gonna get some more baby cereal at the weekend as flipping asda didn't have hardly any hipp products in as usual and this is what he has.Thanks for your advice ladies :flower: