How much milk at 9 months?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by Gooseybear, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Gooseybear

Gooseybear Well-Known Member

My LO is 9 months old and is still drinking around 28oz of formula a day (this doesn't include his milk mixed with his cereal and yoghurts). He has his bottles at around the following times: 5am, 10am, 2pm, 5-6pm. He is on 3 solid meals a day and NEVER refuses food. In fact, every time he eats he moans for more! I'm pretty sure he would eat until he throws up! The other day he ate a whole bowl of pasta bolognese and moaned for more after :haha:

I am starting to worry about his weight gain; he was on the 75th percentile when he was last weighed (a month ago), I know that isn't massive, but it's a huge increase from when he was born. At 4 months, he was so small that he was off the charts! I guess it doesn't help that he is still immobile.

This afternoon I have tried to offer him snacks and water instead of milk, but he wasn't impressed :blush:. Do I just wait for LO to drop the bottles himself? Do I keep offering more food? Also, what healthy filling snacks could I give him? Thank you! :flower:

2. jd83

jd83 Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

I don't think that is too much milk. I think my pediatrician said not more than 32 oz a day total when DS1 was around that age and was a major milk drinker. She told me if he was hungry enough to be wanting more than 32 oz of milk, increase the food amount I was giving him. Then when he turned 1, she told me not more than 24 oz of milk a day, since he should be switching to eating more food and if thirsty enough for more, give water.

DS2 only takes about 22oz a day, but he gets less because he spits it back up if I give him more than that.

3. josephine3

josephine3 Well-Known Member

My lo is 10 months and has 2 6 oz bottles a day plus 2 bfs, so im guessing about 24 oz total.. I wasa actually wondering if she shud be having more in her bottle. She has 3 meals a day too but since she stopped letting me spoon feed her as much im worried shes not getting enough.
    Your 28 oz seems about right to me !

4. JMB1992

JMB1992 Well-Known Member

When their on 3 meals a day they say to aim for about 20oz of milk a day. Some eat more and some less i guess! i would carry on as your doing as he obviously needs it and aslong as he isnt filling up to much on milk and not wanting his food then i wouldnt worry x