How much milk does your baby drink???Am worried

tracy1982

Reaction score
I am a little worried at the moment, Megan is on the comfort milk and her milk in take has gone down to 4/5 oz per bottle sometimes 3oz. So a total of no more than 20oz a day, normally around 16 at the moment though.

She is taking some solids now:

Breakfast- few spoonfuls baby cereal
Lunch (only since yesterday) a few bits of finger foods.
Dinner- finger foods and some purree. Not much though....

I am a little worried that she is not getting what she needs in particular with the milk....

She is 6.5 months old. Any idea what is going on.

Just put her to bed and she had 3 oz of milk........... :shrug:

Ta!!!

x

My little man is a bit like this. He has never liked his milk and since starting weaning it has been even harder to get milk into him. He does have reflux though and gp advised to just concentrate on food. Both my girls dropped milk feeds quick once i started weaning so they had vit tablets to ensure they did not lose out on anything! Will prob do same with pascoe...

can't really answer what it could be but my lo is exactly the same. he was taking 4 8oz bottles and 2 solid meals a day. several weeks ago he started refusing most of his bottle feeds and now every feed is a battle to give him 4oz or so.

i have spaced his 4 feeds out now so the 4th feed is now a dreamfeed, he seems to feed really well this way.
he as 2 oz in his porridge in a morn and i give him something for tea with his formula added too. atm i'm using the box of heinz sunday dinner with his milk. he loves this.
i have been giving him formula in his sippy cup with meals. he gets dribs n drabs this way.
i have also started giving him a yoghurt most days for the extra dairy.

i have read from 6 months they need 18-20 oz per day. anything added to food makes up part of this amount.

also it may be an idea to give a vit d supplement. this was recommended by my hv x

My LO is only 15 weeks so isn't haven't any solids yet so I probably can't help to be honest but my LO takes around 43oz a day he is a very greedy boy lol

I would say if your worried give your HV a call, is your LO still gaining weight?

I wouldn't worry in the slightest as long as your LO is gaining weight. Just keep offering every 3hours.

My LO drank 2oz bottle every 3hours until she was 5months and we up to 3oz. Even now at 12 months she has only just gone up to 5oz! xx

Xander has never liked milk and its always been a struggle, he has reflux which he takes meds for and is on SMA Staydown, he drinks under 20ozs a day so we feed him food with milk in it when his milk intake hasnt been that good, he has been dropping weight which has been a worry, but the odd thing is if i offer a bottle with 8ozs in it he doesnt drink it, if i offer a bottle with 6ozs in it he will take 3-5ozs off it, odd lad lol

I wouldn't worry, my LO has days where he'll only take 2-3oz every feed! but he makes up for it at night which is annoying! x

Cadence is the same. Been told there's not much I can do when she wants food more than milk because we can't force her to drink it. We give her extra yoghurt and cheese so she still gets the calcium and we've put her on follow on milk with more iron in it.

My son is 7 m/o. He drinks wayyyy better now, but for the first 6 months, he'd drink only 2-4 oz at a time. He even slept 12-14 hours every night after 3 months despite drinking only 2-3 oz per feed at that time. Up until 6 months, I was lucky to get 20 oz into him each day. Usually it was about 14-16 oz.

Unfortunately for your peace of mind, you can't force feed them.

Maybe your LO is teething and thus the nipple hurts his gum? I notice my son doesn't drink or eat as much on days when they bother him more. some people say after a growth spurt they tend to not eat as much and sleep more. You're pretty much right in that time frame for the 6 month growth spurt so it's possibly that.

My LO mainly drinks about 4-5 oz per feed, sometimes 6. Since I have started weaning her and she is on 2 big meals a day her milk feeds have dropped even further. I would say she gets about 22oz ish a day

Thanks for the answers- at least i know we are not the only ones with a baby that doesnt drink a lot.

going to get Megan weighed on Thursday and speak to the HV. She has been gaining weight so i think that she just doesnt need a lot.

Spoke to Aptamil advisor and she said to put her on the follow on milk to ensure that she is getting what she needs as she doesnt drink a lot.

KateyCakes- our little girls are the same age, Megan also arrived on 4th May 2011 @ 15.08!!! xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"