• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

How much milk is he "supposed" to be having, and should I reduce his intake myself?

KamKol

Mother of one
Reaction score
My son is now past 9 months old and is measuring on the 91st centile. He has roughly 20-22 ounces of milk in 24 hours (give or take a few) and is on a puree/mashed food diet 3 meals a day at the moment.

I went to the HV on Wednesday for his 9 month development checkup and was given some advice about his milk intake seeing as though he is "slightly overweight" according to his height and weight correlation. My HVs are generally really good and all the advice they have given me haven't been completely bad, but I'd just like to take the advice from you experienced ladies too, because I feel that your advice is just as good, and sometimes better than theirs.

Is his milk intake ok for his age, or is it too much? Also, I was sure that I should let him decrease his milk intake on his own, but was advised to reduce it myself by giving less.

In all honesty, rathen than decreasing, his milk intake has increased, and I'm guessing this could be due to a growth spurt. Should I just carry on giving him as much milk as he would have or should I control it more? Also, could his milk intake affect his weaning...as in, he's getting loads of milk so he's not interested in solids. :shrug: And eventually, he might go off the milk aswel?

Sorry to sound like a dope, but I really rely on you ladies for good advice. :flower:

My SIL was told similiar but she did nothing and my niece has slimmed out alot and is just a tall toddler.

IMO if they are drinking that much milk then thats what they need so would ignore the hv

The recommended amount of milk for a 6-12 month old is 18-20oz a day so you're doing fine!

I mean yeah, too much milk could well decrease a baby's appetite but it doesn't sound like yours is having that problem as he is eating 3 meals a day.

Agree with the other ladies hun, my lo is 9 months, 3 meals a day and has around 21 oz a day spread over 3 bottles, (1 breakfast, 1 afternoon and one bed) she is very slowly dropping ozs week by week naturally.
I think the amount you are feeding him is around the recommended and if he seems happy he must need it.
My lo will NOT drink anymore than 21oz (recently its been more like 18 oz a day) they know what they need. He will drop in his own time IMO xxx

I thought Sophie was never going to reduce her milk intake but just suddenly this week she started doing it herself. She was on 4 x 7oz bottles for months, from before we started weaning but this week I've been a little bit braver with the weaning and given her slightly more, and fruit for puddings etc and she only took a bit of her milk at lunchtime today and nothing at teatime so she's had around 18oz today. I still offered the bottles but she was just playing with them. The rest of the week she's had just bits of her lunchtime and teatime bottles. The whole weaning thing is quite scary till you know you're doing it right! xx

I think it's better to let them reduce it in their own time which they will.
LO is only 8 months but he did have 8oz morning 8 oz afternoon and 8oz night which is 24oz, i reduced the afternoon bottle to 5oz and now he doesnt bother with it at all. He's not drinking all of his morning/night bottles now so i'm trying to include milk in his diet too. I wouldnt worry as long as he's still eating his food and isnt too full from his milk then he's fine.

sounds fine hun, just keep doing what your doing! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"