How much of an age gap do you want between #1 & #2

hanni

Reaction score
My DS is 3 months old on Saturday and I'm already thinking about TTC #2. Whilst I was pregnant I wanted to wait around 5 years but now he's here I want children close in age.
I'm thinking of starting to try again when he's 1 or 18 months old.

What age gap does everyone else want for their children?

I was like you by 6 months I wanted another :haha: we got pregnant with number 2 when our 1st was 18 months! They have a 27 month age gap. In the early days it was great pregnancy with a young one was a little rough but not to terrible. It's only started getting my rough here recently because my youngest has developed quite the little personality. So the two clash and fun get ALOT. However they can be super close at time watching movies and playing babies so all the stress and work is worth it. I def like our small age gap but I'm shooting for a bigger gap next time :haha:

If all goes according to plan my daughter will be 3 and 3 months - 3.5 when the new baby is born - I think that's a good gap because I will be off on mat leave for a year (yes Canada is good with that :) ) and then when I go back to work I will only have to pay for 1 daycare - my daughter will be in JK

I was horribly broody that first year postpartum, but I'm glad we've waited now! If everything goes works out, we'll have a 3-4 year age gap, and here preschool starts at 3, so I'll have some one-on-one time with the new baby. Plus DD is becoming more self-reliant every day (she'll even go throw her diaper in the trash now... it's the little things! :haha:), so I'm hoping it'll make things easier when I'm outnumbered at home with a completely dependent baby.

If hubby was home more often I'd probably consider a smaller age gap between kids though!

I go back and forth. But I think I want about 2.75-3 years gap. That way DS is a bit more independent and possibly potty trained and then he will start preschool at 3 and hopefully our new one can continue with the current daycare set up with have.

One of my biggest fears is that DH works swing and I work days so he doesn't really see our son and I do almost all the parenting. I am afraid I won't cope well with a new baby and a toddler.

I originally wanted a 2-3 year gap, even with a horribly high needs baby, until she hit about 6 months... and then I think the hormones calmed down and I realized how terrible an idea that was for me. :haha:

My LO is 3 now and I'm honestly still nowhere near ready. I think it'll be at least a 5 year gap at this point and that's okay with me. My LO is still very mom-dependent and spirited and I don't feel she'd do well sharing attention. Plus she's finally at an age where I really enjoy her company so I'm cool just focusing on her for a while, too!

I spoke to my OH about it and we've agreed I'll get my implant taken out when dominic is 1 (wasn't even worth getting it put in!) If everything is going to plan. Although judging by what some of you ladies say I might end up changing my mind, who knows! My OH isn't fussed in the slightest 😂 I could probably telling him I'm getting it out tomorrow or going to get my tubes tied and he'd be happy.
One of the reasons I want a close age gap is there's 17 months between my brother and I and it was great growing up. We've always been super close and we still are to this day. The plan is another one close in age, wait 5/6 years and have 2 more close in age.

I'm thinking about 3 years will be a good gap for us. 9 months ago I desperately wanted another baby. Now that DS is 1 I am happy that we decided to wait. with a 3 year age gap hopefully DS will be out of nappies, using the pram less and can feed himself

Hmm, interesting thread. I occasionally think about this but not too seriously as we are still focused on having #1. :flower:

My brother and I were just over 3 years apart and I felt like that was okay. I like the idea of kids having a sibling close in age that they can grow up and do things with. Some people I know even have the same friend group as their siblings, which I think is kind of cool. However, when I think about the precious baby and toddler years with #1, it makes me feel like I'd be rushing them to grow up too fast if we had #2 before they turned 2. Sometimes I feel like I'd want to wait until #1 is in school full time, then both would have their toddler/preschool years of being the only one home during the day. But I'll be in my early 30s by the time #2 is born, and I really want to be done having kids by 35, so I guess we'll see!

We are hoping for a 2.5-3 year gap. I go through periods of being super broody now- DS is 13 months- but really my focus is getting him weaned an sleeping better at night. I dont want to get pregnant again until those things happen.

We are about to start trying for #1, but ideally, I would like a 2-3 year age gap. I only want 2.

I originally wanted 2-3yrs gap but after a loss in 2013 (unplanned) it kinda made me realise that i wasnt ready.. I am now though Lol, waiting until July-August officially & not going to start my new pill packet tomorrow 😳 eeek! Still scary ha ha xx

I originally wanted a 2-2 1/2 year age gap but now, ideally, we'll start trying for #2 when my son is around 19 months old (or, at least, that is when I plan on getting my IUD taken out). I have baby fever so badly right now and I have no idea why. Haha. :cloud9:

I'd love a small age gap but it's realistically going to be about 4 years before we have another baby :(
There's just over 2.5 years between me and my sister and we're best friends now, I'd love for DS to have a similar bond with any brothers and sisters he may have but I'm also glad because he's a high needs baby and I couldn't manage 2 right now.

I wanted a 2 year age gap between my two, but I ended up with an 18m gap after a very happy surprise. Looking back now, as much as it was hard work in the early days I wouldn't change it for the world :D I love having them so close together and I hope they will have a close brotherly relationship as they grow up.

We got pregnant when #1 was 18 months. It would have been sooner, but we had a miscarriage between the two.
Now #2 is 17 months. We were going to start ttc this month, but decided to have fun this summer and put it off until the fall. I get horribly sick all pregnancy long, so I wait until I'm sure I can handle it.

I've always thought I wanted at least a 2 year age gap. I'm still WTT #1 at 32 so maybe we wont be able to have 2 years between kiddos if we want more than 2. My brother and I are close and we are 2 years apart. But I'm closer to my youngest sister who is 5 years younger, than I am to my other sister who is only 2.5 years younger. My OH is close to his sister who is 8 years younger. You never know!

Ideally I would like a 2.25 - 2.75 year gap! 2 seems a bit soon and 3 seems too long!

We had 2y9m between our first and second. Started TTC when our first was 19 months but it took 5 months to conceive. I'd like a smaller gap between our second and third, we're TTC next cycle so they could be 18 months apart if we catch straight away!

I would say 3-4 years. Years ago, I would have said 2 years. But now I have an almost 2 year old and I am soooo glad we don't have a 2nd one yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->