How much research should i do?

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
Im going to be trying BFing but im keeping open minded about it, if its not for me then i will have no probs switching.
Ive gone with the approach of wait and see how it goes so ive not really researched much into it, am i shooting myself in the foot doing this?

No i think ur doing the right thing.. give breast feeding a good go (its easy to give up in the first few weeks) just be flexable and in the end just feed ur baby however ur both comfortable with.

I think you should research into the first few weeks. They can be hard, and it's hard to know what's normal x

No I dont think yuo are. I think you can scare yourself sometimes knowing too much.

Its one of those thigns where its personal to everyone so just see how it goes and how you feel about it :)

Good luck hun, not long to go :)

xxx

i wouldn't really bother if you know why you prefer to breastfeed over formula. If you were unsure between breast and bottle then it would be good so you can figure out what's going to suit you. every experince is different and besides that's what we're here for :happydance:

I didn't research anything.
And we got on just fine!
If it will make you feel more comfortable, I would!

I think the sticky at the top of here is a good, realistic, point of reference. :)

I don't think you need to research anything, you do need to prepare yourself for a tough 6 weeks where you have to put everything other than feeding your baby on the back burner, you need to realise that noone else can take over the feeding for you no matter how knackered you are but remember they can take over everything else (i.e dirty nappies/bath time/housework etc.) You need to look after yourself and believe in yourself and your bodys ability to feed your baby. Finally you need to prepare yourself for feeling incredibly proud of yourself for being soley responsible for the healthy little baby that you are continuing to nurture and help grow all by yourself!!! Breast feeding is bloody hard work in the early days but once you get over the 6 week hump it gets easier and the rewards are just fabulous. Good luck x

Your local maternity unit will often offer a breastfeeding class - I know my one did. It will give you advice on breastfeeding positions, what to expect, possible problems and how to resolve them etc.

Also, most hospitals will have breastfeeding counsellors if you have any problems.

Good luck!

xxx

I didnt take any of the classes offered to me, bit late to go to them now lol.

Personally I think it's a good idea to do some research so you know what to expect and how to deal with problems as they come up. Understanding how breastfeeding works is a big part of being successful at it. It doesn't necessarily come naturally, and doctors and midwives unfortunately don't always give you the right advice to help you succeed.

If you can get your hands on "Breastfeeding for Beginners" from the National Childbirth Trust, I highly recommend it. Otherwise Kellymom is a very helpful site.

I agree, its a good idea to have info on your local bfing help etc... and a good idea to have some referances online for site... the le leche league website is excellent for info too... they also have a chat forum with lots of helpful people.

babe I do it as you know, and forumla feed at night. Its been that way for 12 weeks and thats how its staying for now, she is happy, im happy :D
You do what you feel comfortable with, just go with the early days, as hard as they seem oit will be worth it if you come through. If you dont then its no big deal, a little collostrum is better than nothing at all :D
xxxxx

not at all in fact i say the only thing worth doing is looking at how to latch the baby on - because as long as you get that right thats half the battle

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->