How much to start?

xnewxmummyx

Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle
Reaction score
I will be starting to wean Isobelle as of next week, starting with 3weeks on baby rice, porridge etc. And it will be mixed BLW and TW.

But what I am wondering is, how many teaspoons do you give to start? Becuase i understand you give in middle of a bottle feed..?

X

i think ur babys to young to start on baby rice yet ?x

I would wait until she is at least 4 months if you want to start early.

I think it's about 2 tablespoons then mixed with whatever it says to be mixed with. The instructions are usually on the packet.

I am waiting until she is 4months.

I dont want to start a debate on whether or not she is old enough. I have been advised by my HV that babies digestive systems are ready for more than milk at 16weeks, therefor I can decide when I want to start anytime from then on.

16 weeks isn't 4 months, its 17 weeks. The government do not advise weaning before 17 weeks; and the guidelines have been such since 1993 or thereabouts. One week may not seem a huge difference; but it can be when their development is so rapid at this age. Weaning before 17 weeks has been proven to increase the risk of allergies etc. Not all health vistors have up to date knowledge re: weaning.

I have never said I am weaning her at 16weeks. I am going to wait until she is 4months exactly at least, I may even wait longer. The reason I posted this thread is pure curiosity and I wanna know as much info as possible before I start.

I debated with myself before I posted about whether I would get hassle, and now I wish I hadn't bothered. Understand you all wanna help etc and want whats best for babies, but I think sometimes people tend to jump down throats when there is no need.

In answer to your original question, just a couple of teaspoons of rice/porridge mixed in with milk will be more than enough in those early days, they barely take any.

You will know once you start how much hun. Fran has been on solids for a week now and has eaten a little more each day. She was on baby rice and porridge for the first couple of days then we introduced a little carrot then 3 days later she had some apple both mixed in with her rice or porridge.

I went on a weaning course at my local surestart centre and it was very informative - it covered things like ideal first foods, when to introduce certain types of food such as meat etc, drinks and using a cup, what to give at what age e.g nothing with gluten before 6 months, how much to give and when.

If you have a centre close by it might be worth seeing if they do a similar course. Fran was the only baby there who hadn't actually started weaning too - the other mums had started their babies on solids but just wanted some reassurance that they were doing it right.

If you are interested in BLW then I suggest you read the book Gil Rapely's Baby Led Weaning, or for TW, Anabel Karmel's Guide to Starting Solids.

BLW means no puree and no spoon feeding - ever. TW, is the spoon feeding, and does include a variety of finger foods to be introduced. You can't do TW and BLW, only TW with finger foods. I recommend Anabel Karmel's book (as you really can't do BLW at 4 months) which will have a meal plan, lots of information for you, I found it very useful and clear in the beginning.

At least you got a couple of answers to your question in the end! X

:dohh:

Just make up a few teaspoons worth to begin with if shes having it in the middle of a bottle :D
Good luck!!!
Xx

If you buy a packet of baby rice it usually tells you on the back how much milk and rice to add.
<3

I have found with my LO, who is just 4 months, he is taking 7oz of milk and about 3 spoon fulls on the unmade up baby rice mixed with formula (thats the cow and gate stuff)

I have been watching threads on weaning alot quite recently. Even though I have two sons and I have done this before you do forget certain lil bits of what you did and when. I must admit I was so disheartened to see people jumping all over the mums who decide to wean thier children at 4 months. This was the 'advice' from the health visitor with my first son, who is now 2 and a half years, as he was chewing when we were eating, wasnt settled etc and my 2nd son who has just turned 4 months I have decided to wean him at this stage also.

I would like to think any mother who comes onto a site such as this for advice is looking for advice because they care deeply about thier little ones and want to get the most opinions from as many like minded mums as possible to allow them to make thier own informed decsions. Its sad to see the same people in most of these threads saying that they wouldnt do that as it may harm their child and making the other mums feel bad. Government advice changes all the time, if you have half a brain cell and love for your child you will know what is best for them...believe me. I knew it was right to wean my boys when I have done and all babies are different.

If you are interested in BLW then I suggest you read the book Gil Rapely's Baby Led Weaning, or for TW, Anabel Karmel's Guide to Starting Solids.

BLW means no puree and no spoon feeding - ever. TW, is the spoon feeding, and does include a variety of finger foods to be introduced. You can't do TW and BLW, only TW with finger foods. I recommend Anabel Karmel's book (as you really can't do BLW at 4 months) which will have a meal plan, lots of information for you, I found it very useful and clear in the beginning.

This is the book my HV bought with her when she came to talk to me about weaning. I am going to get it :)

xx

I have found with my LO, who is just 4 months, he is taking 7oz of milk and about 3 spoon fulls on the unmade up baby rice mixed with formula (thats the cow and gate stuff)

I have been watching threads on weaning alot quite recently. Even though I have two sons and I have done this before you do forget certain lil bits of what you did and when. I must admit I was so disheartened to see people jumping all over the mums who decide to wean thier children at 4 months. This was the 'advice' from the health visitor with my first son, who is now 2 and a half years, as he was chewing when we were eating, wasnt settled etc and my 2nd son who has just turned 4 months I have decided to wean him at this stage also.

I would like to think any mother who comes onto a site such as this for advice is looking for advice because they care deeply about thier little ones and want to get the most opinions from as many like minded mums as possible to allow them to make thier own informed decsions. Its sad to see the same people in most of these threads saying that they wouldnt do that as it may harm their child and making the other mums feel bad. Government advice changes all the time, if you have half a brain cell and love for your child you will know what is best for them...believe me. I knew it was right to wean my boys when I have done and all babies are different.

Well said! It has really started to get my back up when you read post after post from people about how they would wait until 6 months when quite cleary most threads arnt asking for a debate but for advice. I am starting to gradually bring in solids at 4 months which is the end of this month, im doing so because i feel is right and i dont need to explain my reasons in doing so. At first this made me question my parenting but i know that this is the right thing to do for my son. I will more than likey be coming on here asking for advice and i really hope i dont get jumped on like some of the poor ladies have that i have read and seen on here! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->