How much walking after a c-section??

SuperKat

New baby on the way!
Reaction score
So, I keep hearing/reading about walking after a c-section...in fact, in the hospital the nurses encouraged it...so, i did it....lots of it. They never specified the amount, just said that walking would speed recovery. So as soon as the catheter was removed (about 12-16 hours after the c-section), I went off walking...I did 15 laps around the L&D department. I was walking as often as I could. That evening I was in a lot of pain, and the nurse said to make sure i was walking, then I told her how much I had walked already and she gasped saying i overdid it. I explained to her that no one told me exactly how much i should be walking- then she said that they are happy when their c-section moms do 4 laps in a day...lol. oops. So, she advised that I rest in bed the following day since overdoing it can slow healing...

Well...i am now 2 weeks post partum...this is my 4th c-section, and it followed a pretty decent labor, in my experience that has a big impact on recovery- it seems much slower that a c-section without labor. I am going a bit stir crazy...I've been out shopping a couple of times within the last 2 weeks, I also went with my DH and kids on Halloween for trick or treating for over an hour or two....when we got back I was seeing stars and tunnel vision (maybe I did too much? i don't know?).

Anyway...so, I am wondering- when people say to walk at this point- how much should we be walking? I am considering walking to pick my kids up from school, it is a mile round trip- that is a good amount, right?? Not really considered "exercise"? I seriously have no idea...

So, I keep hearing/reading about walking after a c-section...in fact, in the hospital the nurses encouraged it...so, i did it....lots of it. They never specified the amount, just said that walking would speed recovery. So as soon as the catheter was removed (about 12-16 hours after the c-section), I went off walking...I did 15 laps around the L&D department. I was walking as often as I could. That evening I was in a lot of pain, and the nurse said to make sure i was walking, then I told her how much I had walked already and she gasped saying i overdid it. I explained to her that no one told me exactly how much i should be walking- then she said that they are happy when their c-section moms do 4 laps in a day...lol. oops. So, she advised that I rest in bed the following day since overdoing it can slow healing...

Well...i am now 2 weeks post partum...this is my 4th c-section, and it followed a pretty decent labor, in my experience that has a big impact on recovery- it seems much slower that a c-section without labor. I am going a bit stir crazy...I've been out shopping a couple of times within the last 2 weeks, I also went with my DH and kids on Halloween for trick or treating for over an hour or two....when we got back I was seeing stars and tunnel vision (maybe I did too much? i don't know?).

Anyway...so, I am wondering- when people say to walk at this point- how much should we be walking? I am considering walking to pick my kids up from school, it is a mile round trip- that is a good amount, right?? Not really considered "exercise"? I seriously have no idea...

wow! i had my cs 12 weeks ago! for the last 3 weeks i have been walking 5 miles a day (school run) and i find it hard still! if you feel ok walking some then you can my hv told me to listen to my body, if i hurt stop, or if bleeding got heavier etc! make sure you eat enough as that could of been why you were seeing stars etc

:flower: Thank you for taking the time to read my long post and for responding!!! You'd think that since this is my 4th c-section that I would know the drill! This one is just do different from my last two- they were much easier recoveries that this one has been so far! Good point on the eating thing! I didn't think of that! I ended up doing the walk and managed better than I thought, and it felt great to get out!

5 miles, man, I can't wait to be able to do that again! Thanks again for the advice and tips!!:flower:

It took me a good month or so to be walking a long way with no discomfort. If you're seeing stars, definitely stop and rest! Listen to your body. Each c-section is harder to recover from, so it's no surprise this one is taking its toll on you.

If you're worried, go see your GP.

I was walking the next day. The midwives told me off for over doing it. I'd say take it easy because when ever I overdid I'd bleed heavily for the day. I think that was a sign that I needed to slow down a bit

Its really confusing isn't it. The MW's advised to me keep active which I did and then I mentioned aches and pains they would tell me I was overdoing it:dohh: I just ended up trying to listen to my body and just do what felt comfortable. I did overdo it at times and would be in pain and have increased bleeding but I would just try and take it easy the next day or two to compensate.

At 2 weeks I could have walked a mile but it would have taken me a while and it would have hurt afterwards.

I had mine on the 5th of November and I still can't walk very much without it causing horrible pain in my epidural site. I had a very bad experience in that department. I am doing the best I can, and hope to feel more like walking in a few days.

BTW, I just discovered this section! Didn't know it existed! Hi SuperKat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->