how much water?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by DCS, Jun 3, 2011.

1. DCS

DCS Well-Known Member

i apologise for the silly questions . LO is my first and i can never seem to get consistent answers. so i figured other mums r the best people to ask.

so during last weigh HV said we could start giving LO water. She never said how much though.
    Do you give ur bf babies water? and how much? how often?
    Is it cooled boiled water?
    Im sorry the answers are probably very obvious.
    LO is 3 months old.

thanks in advance.

2. CeriB

CeriB Well-Known Member

No need to give LO water if they are BFed due to BM being mainly water. FF mums give water to keep their LOs hydrated as formula is thicker and less thirst quenching, as it were.

In this weather, LO may want to BF a bit more and may only go for a few minutes at a time - this will be because the foremilk is really watery and the best for thirst. Just keep LO topped up with BM and all will be fine :thumbup:

3. bubbles

bubbles 1DS, 1DD & preggo

^^ WSS

BM will alter according to your babies need, also you have foremilk and hind milk. Foremilk is thirst quenching where as hind milk is filling and calorific

4. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

I didn't start offering my LOs water until they were on solids. They started BLW around 6 months old. I would offer a bit of water in a doidy cup with meals. But they didn't start drinking much of it until about 8-9 months. They preferred to get their hydration through breastmilk until then.