How much weight should i be gaining?

Mummatobe

Mum of 1
Reaction score
Hi mummys to be,

Im 20 weeks next week. Before i was pregnant i was weighed at 9.8 stone i have weighed myself a couple of times over the last week and i have gone up to 10.7. So there is 14 pounds in a stone so this works out that i have put on 12 pounds.

Is this quite normal to put on that much weight in the first 5 months? obv that is only 2 pounds off a stone.
Ive been a bit more warey of my weight the last couple of weeks as i have noticed a big change in my body shape. I know that my body is going to change.. but ive never had to worry about my weight before because ive always been quite small. Ive been quite lucky with that.

Any advice and knowledge would be very grateful :kiss:

Thanks x

Everyone is different. Generally those in the healthy weight range to start with will put on more and those a little overweight don't always put on as much. Although obviously this isn't always the case.

I probably put on about the same amount at 20 wks too.

With DS I put on 20kg (just over 3 stone) an lost about 2/3 of it after the birth and the rest came off in the months after (I stacked some of it back on between then and this pregnancy but that is another story!)

I'm 20 and a half weeks, and I have gained about a stone. Not 100% sure of my exact start weight but at 7 weeks I was 9st 8lb and yesterday I was 10st 8lb. I think it's in the ok range but it's a teensy bit higher than I'd like it to be - I am weighing myself once a week and am gaining 1lb a week, which I know is ok but I'm sure it'll gain pace. It's my own fault, I eat too much junk. Last pregnancy I gained almost 3.5st (from 9st 5lb to 12st 10lb), and I hoped to keep it closer to 2.5st this time.

I'd gained 11 pounds at 20 weeks and my midwife said I was right on track. From here on out you are looking at about a pound a week until your due date :flower:

That said, everybody is different, some women gain less or more, some need to gain less or more. . .

That sounds about right although it depends on your pre-pregnancy BMI. You can get a good idea of what you should be gaining here: https://www.indiacurry.com/women/pregcalc.htm

I think it's worth noting in threads like this that women who are gaining a lot are the ones who stop weighing themselves and don't post about their weight gain!

Personally, I've gained 17 lbs at 21 weeks, which is obviously a little higher than I hoped, but I don't think it's crazy. I started out about 15 lbs overweight, as well.

I had gained 14lbs by the time i was 18weeks. and im happy with that. dont worry, you;re normal :thumbup:

I think it's worth noting in threads like this that women who are gaining a lot are the ones who stop weighing themselves and don't post about their weight gain!

I think you might have a point here. I know last time I didn't weigh myself at all from about 16 weeks (when I found I'd gained 11lb) till the day before I went into labour. I was too scared. And then I wished I'd kept track along the way because I was horrified to see I was up 45lb. :lol: This time I am weighing myself once a week, and it's helping me be more aware of some of my poorer food choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->