how often does your 8 month old nurse?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by maisiemoo, Jan 31, 2011.

1. maisiemoo

maisiemoo Well-Known Member

Within a 24 hour period, olivia could feed up to 10/12 times. She still feeds throughout the night and is on 3 good sized, well balanced meals per day. Should she be feeding this much?

2. kerrie24

kerrie24 me,him and 3 lo's

I dont think there is a set amount they should feed,some babies the same age might be a lot less but my son feeds a lot too.As long as its not a problem for you and she is not having breast instead of solids then thats fine.

3. Cassiesam

Cassiesam Member

TBH, even if she were having breast instead of solids, at 8m, that's still not an issue. Babies can survive off nothing but breastmilk for two years! Like PP has said, if it's not a problem for you, go with it. My 15m old is going through a spat of separation anxiety at the mo and it feels like she hasn't stopped nursing all day!

4. A3my

A3my I am so lucky!

Alex still feeds a lot, but sometimes just for a quick drink rather than a full feed. He is also on 3 meals a day. He likes a big drink first thing in the morning, then mid morning, after lunch and mid afternoon and then he feeds to sleep. Generally he feeds 3-4 times in the night as well. I'm happy to follow his lead. Sounds normal to me :hugs:

5. trynitey

trynitey Guest

Every baby is different. DS feeds about 10-12 times per day still, plus eats 1 meal a day around dinner time. He's not 8mos yet, but will be in 2.5wks. Your baby's main nutrition should be the breast milk til he's a year and the solids shouldn't be interfering with that.

6. Mrs RC

Mrs RC Lucas' Mummy!

Lucas has 3 feeds a day - 730, 3 and bedtime. He has 3 meals a day and sleeps 7 - 7.

Xx

7. maisiemoo

maisiemoo Well-Known Member

Thank you for your replies. It is nice to know that other babies feed just as often at the same age. I have been advised to cut the night time feeds, but think i'll allow lo determine what she wants and how often.

8. Nicoleoleole

Nicoleoleole 2 kids + 1!

LO is 8 months in 2 weeks, but she nurses about 20 times a day and feeds every hour at night.

Why were you advised to cut out night feeds?