• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

How often should I feed my 4 week old?

gwiff

Reaction score
My LO will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. For the first two weeks I breastfed and he gained 5oz going from 6lbs 14 to 7lbs 3. After this I decided to switch to formula for various reasons and fed on demand and he gained 1lb 1oz up to 8lbs 4oz. I'm worried that I'm feeding him too much. His feeding varies from 2oz to 4oz every 2-4 hours. He will be weighed again tomorrow.
How often should i be feeding him? Should I be feeding on demand like breastfeeding or should I try to get him into a routine?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

My 4 week olds feeding pattern also varies... he had 4oz at 6am and 5oz at 10am and just had 2 1/2oz there at 1pm... before falling asleep!!!! I try to do roughly 4-5oz at 2,6 and 10 o'clock xx

I would say at the moment you lo is still getting used to the bottle from being bf so don't worry hun, all babies are diff & they all take diff amounts.
I never bottle fed so can't exactly say what josh fed, For now hun i think i'd be feeding on demand i mean feeding when a baby isn't exactly ready for it baffles me.

Liss fed every 3-4hours and at that age I cannot remember how much I am afraid, but they'll let you know when they are hungry!!!

morgans a big boy and loves his milk !! he has 6-7oz every 3 1/2 - 4hrs :D sometimes he goes 5hrs xbut every babys different x

Mia would only take about 3oz every 4 hours at that age, the hospital set her off onto having them every 4 hours when she was in there until she was a week old and getting fed by a tube. Then she's just stuck to the four hours, it's very rare that she will want it any sooner than that. Only time she will is on a night if she is due at 9 she will cry at 8 for it just after her bath, as she is in the routine of having a bath and then last bottle before bed at 8.

when connah was 4 weeks old he was takin 4oz every 3 hours and sort of fell into his own routine,but now i wake him for a feed every 3 hours and he almost sleeps through...so i would say routine everytime.
However your LO is still young and routines dont suit some babies,u might find you try putting your LO into a routine and it wont work,but you can always try again in a few weeks :) xx

I would say at the moment you lo is still getting used to the bottle from being bf so don't worry hun, all babies are diff & they all take diff amounts.
I never bottle fed so can't exactly say what josh fed, For now hun i think i'd be feeding on demand i mean feeding when a baby isn't exactly ready for it baffles me.

As you say it baffles you, here are my reasons for not feeding on demand:

- when you bottle feed you have to get it ready and I don't want Ruby screaming while I sort it out for her
- All of Ruby's cries sound the same, so when I used to feed on demand I was misinterpreting every cry for hunger
- If Ruby is starving, she gets very worked up and sucks too hard on the bottle, coughs and splutters and takes in air, making her windy
- Total milk intake through the day is what helps babies sleep thru the night, so if you let them sleep endlessly through the day they will miss feeds and whaddaya know - need feeding at night! (night feeding more of a pain when you bottle feed)
- Wouldn't you rather eat when you were just starting to get peckish, rather than when you were so hungry you felt uncomfortable?

I think at 4 weeks I was offering a 4oz bottle every 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"