how soon are you getting married after engagement??

LeahLou

Emilia+Brantley+Kyle
Reaction score
Hey!
So I'm curious to know how long y'all's engagements are/are going to be??

OH and I talked about it this morning and we both agree we want a fall wedding. I don't want to wait till next fall, but he doesn't want to do this fall!
I really don't want a long engagement and wanting to be married within a year, but I don't want to be insensitive to his thoughts either.. I mean he is the other half of this marrige :p

Maybe spring 2014? But I feel like that's so typical to get married in the spring!

I don't know why I'm being so impatient about it! I know some of it is because I live with my parents and am ready to be out on our own, but I don't want to move in with him because of the custody battle. Living with a boyfriend/fiance is seen as instable. I don't have a high enough paying job to get my own place, so I'm stuck :(

But at least we're getting there! I just want to be married to him :)

My oh and I got together 27th August 2009 then on September 2010 we found out I was pregnant and got engaged.... Lo was born 28th may 2011 and we are getting married on our 4 year anniversary 27th August 2013 :) xxx

We got engaged the day before my 21st birthday (24th Feb) last year and we are getting married June 15th this year so we're getting married after being engaged a year and 4 months :)

He's still designing my engagement ring (he finds it fun lol). And we're planning for a July - September wedding. We've looked at venues and started getting quotes. While it is getting close, there are still dates open and venues available. BUT, that'll change quickly over the next month or two. So if you are thinking about doing a Fall wedding, I'd start browsing the spots and get an idea of costs.

And I think Spring weddings are gorgeous. :) I want a summer wedding since we'll be getting married at a vineyard and we want grapes on the vines (so it has to be before harvest). :)

My OH would get married tomorrow if I'd let him but seeing as I have to sort it out, and I am a worrier, I'm assuming I won't even be ready by our date haha

I am assuming that its pretty common to get married in Spring where you are? Here a lot of people get married in Summer and quieter months are Nov-Feb :) We got engaged on Christmas day and are getting married on 7th Feb 2014 so just over a year really (but we had always said that we didn't want a long engagement). Originally we wanted a Christmas wedding but we felt Dec was too close to Xmas and SIL got married in Nov so we didn't want that either lol! So Feb it is :) xx

We just got engaged on 1/26/2013 and we are getting married on 9/6/2013. So our engagement will be a little over 7 months.

When we get married in april we will have been engaged 20months. I would've preferred a shorter engagement but i didn't want to be in the final stages of planning a wedding whilst doing my uni finals, so this was a good compromise for us :)

I don't believe engagements should be more than 2 years :) x

Rhi_Rhi; we have used our engagement to save for the wedding of our dreams and to have our 3 children. if people were paying for our wedding for us then we would have been married sooner-but they're not. so we aren't!

I think engagements can be as long as you want :)

see i disagree, i believe people shouldn't get engaged unless they intend to get married soon. Otherwise wait until you CAN afford to get married and then get engaged, each to their own and what not though. I suppose it depends how you see an engagement; to me it is a marriage announcement.

but who sets these 'rules' about how long engagements should be? if I chose to have our honeymoon next year instead of this year immediatly after the wedding would that be wrong too..? in my eyes, it would be foolish to do so this year as we wouldn't be able to afford it. what about if your engagement was a surprise, and you hadn't got any money saved for a wedding....would you turn down the proposal just so you could save money?! :shrug:

I think of marriage proposal as a promise to be with you for eternity; it's like a token to show others that you are 'taken' iykwim?

I agree with you Donna, a proposal is a huge commitment from one person to another to promise you that they want to be with you forever. In my eyes it certainly isn't a wedding announcement - that is its own thing! I would certainly never have turned down my OH if we couldn't afford to get married within 2 years, my first thoughts weren't even about the wedding, they were about spending the rest of my life with the man I love whether the wedding would take 1 year or 10, its still the same commitment. Ohh and his proposal to me was a massive surprise :)

Engagement is an official "im taken" status, not a marriage announcement. Thats what your save the dates are for.

Heyyy It's just my opinion, just answering the OP. I wasn't telling anyone else what to do or how they should do it.

Also that is exactly that Donna; there are no rules, Just opinions :) x

I don't agree there should be a time limit on it but I don't see the point in getting engaged unless you are going to start planning a wedding. You may well book your wedding for a few years in the future and that could be 3 or 4 so you can pay it off a little bit at a time. I just think getting engaged without the intention of marrying in the foreseeable future with a date in mind loses the point of it.

We will have been engaged 7months by the time we get married at the end of April x

2yrs i think.

if want it in fall, go next year!!

i can not believe how much planning it takes, we booked ours 13months before the date - wasnt long enough IMO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->