how to express more milk with a pump?

luvnafctn

Reaction score
So we had our little girl on March 30th, and we've had a really difficult time with BFing. I have flat nipples, and was advised to use a nipple shield (which she doesn't really care for). We also have to supplement with formula since she wasn't latching on at all.

At this point, I am okay feeding her breast milk from the bottle versus from the breast, because I will be having to go back to work in 5 weeks, and she'll have to take milk from someone else during the day.

Anyway, how can I get my breasts to express more milk? Does it happen automatically? Right now, we are feeding every two to three hours (so I'm pumping every two to three hours). I double pump for about 10-15 minutes, and all I usually produce is about 1/2 ounce of milk (15-20cc). I want to start storing milk for when we have errands to run, or if I have to be gone somewhere. Right now, everything I produce is going to the baby. I know that we have the option to use formula as a backup, but I was hoping to use as much breast milk as possible.

Thanks so much!

Congratulations!

I'm sure there are people on here you can advise you better than me (I never produced huge amounts when pumping either) but the things I was told were to
always pump at about the same time each day, so your body gets used to producing milk at those times,
drink loads of water,
pump whilst looking at your LO, or at least at a picture (it works, honestly!) and keep going for longer as you will often get a second let down, even though you think you've pumped all you can.

Good luck, you're doing a great job so far by the sounds of it.

OMG you're going back to work in 5 weeks:cry:....poor you.

Expressing takes patience and practice, try it when you've had a nice warm bath and you're relaxed. I can only do it 1st thing in the morning:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->