How to handle 2 year old helping herself to food out the fridge

I'd set her a shelf of things she is allowed and some healthy snacks outside of the fridge too. Rory does this too, but can't open stuff properly so he'll just carry his yoghurt or babybell around for ages. Once he bought me the entire milk carton because he wanted a drink.

I would lock the fridge. My kids couldnt reach the fridge at that age, because I have a freezer on the bottom, but I would be concerned with choking. Its one thing to teach your child healthy snacking....but a two year old is too young to make choices. There will be plentyy of time to teach your children about food and snacks. Even my older kids who are 8 and 10 ASK before they eat.

We have an open door policy with nearly everything in the house (garage being an obvious no go area). My daughter has a designated shelf for fruit and bits, that she can help herself to. There are certain foods that have conditions attached I.e a yoghurt after lunch or eve meal - she is very respectful of this. My daughter is great with food, eats her meals, conveys her preferences well and enjoys having an element of freedom of choice. I think it's been great for her.

I think a shelf for her snacks is a good idea, especially if she tends to snack on a variety of things (carbs, protein, dairy etc.). I'd love to give Maria access to her own snacks but she will only eat carbs if left to her own choice so I can't let her yet.

We have a large American fridge which LO can get in, but TBH she tends to reach for fruit, so I put that to the front & hide that goodies?!

Good idea for the shelf, but I still think 2 is way too young for this. They don't understand the concept that they need to eat full meals and that they can't snack right before dinner so that they are hungry enough to eat a proper meal. I knew can't.. My lo oftern asks for snacks around 4 and I have to say no because I know that he won't eat his dinner and him being a bad eater this is important

It would worry me e could be helping himself to food when my back was turned if it was close to meal times, and I like to know what he has had so I plan his meals. Also I know with my lo the new experience will be fun and he would do it even if he wasn't hungry it would be a game

I'm all for this in a few years but right now I would lock it.

Good idea for the shelf, but I still think 2 is way too young for this. They don't understand the concept that they need to eat full meals and that they can't snack right before dinner so that they are hungry enough to eat a proper meal. I knew can't.. My lo oftern asks for snacks around 4 and I have to say no because I know that he won't eat his dinner and him being a bad eater this is important

It would worry me e could be helping himself to food when my back was turned if it was close to meal times, and I like to know what he has had so I plan his meals. Also I know with my lo the new experience will be fun and he would do it even if he wasn't hungry it would be a game

I'm all for this in a few years but right now I would lock it.

Same here. I don't let my kids get in the fridge on their own, because i like to keep track of what they have been eating. My older son is a very picky eater, so with him already eating poorly at meal times, I can't just let him get whatever he feels like when he feels like getting it. He tells me when he is hungry, and I give him options of what he can have for a snack. Then the next snack, I offer different options from what he chose previously, so its not him picking the same thing over and over, which is what he'd prefer to do. I don't withhold snacks if he's hungry, but I also don't feel like at 3 yrs old he is responsible to pick a variety of snacks throughout the day. He'd pick chips, or pudding, or animal crackers every time. Which are fine in moderation, but certainly not something I would offer him regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->