How to maximize my maternity leave

twiggy327

Reaction score
I havent even had my son yet and already im having anxiety and depressed about having to leave after such a short time!! The company I work will give me 6 weeks paid leave for maternity. 9 weeks paid for "medical reasons." I am finding this increasingly worrisome and disheartening. There have been a few men in my department who have had shoulder or knee surgery over the last few years and they have gotten up to 12 weeks of paid leave to recover. I push a human being out of my body and I only get 6 weeks to bond and recover. Total BS if you ask me!! I am eligible to take up to 12 weeks thru FMLA but I would then lose all of my vacation time and it is severly discouraged to take unpaid time off work after you have used your PTOs. So I would have to ask a family member to take my infant to the 100 doctors appointments during the first year and dont even want to think about what would happen if myself or one of my kids got sick! Anyways, I want to maximize the time I have at home, ideally the full 9 weeks paid. Anyone been in a similar situation? I want to have a plan to convince the doc that I need more time at home..

I thought you could get 39 weeks paid leave and an additional 13 weeks unpaid, totalling to 52 weeks off work.. the 39 weeks u should get statuary maternity pay or like myself maternity allowance if you dont qualify for SMP... google it..

I have looked and looked and looked and in the states you only get 12 weeks of job security and they suck every last vacation, sick, and personal day you have in the process :cry:

oh hun, that does suck! i didnt realise you were in the US.. :( hope u figure something out soon xxxx

Are you positive they take your sick/personal/vacation time? I think that's up to the company and you might be able to negotiate with them.

I know in California we get a few more benefits, but its nothing outrageous. Maybe try asking your doctor if they know who you can ask about maximizing your maternity leave.

I hope the following doesn't totally confuse you (and keep in mind I'm in CA so I tailored it to me), but I started making notes a few months back because I'm neurotic and crazy. :haha:

California Maternity leave:

Under State Disability Insurance (SDI) (this is paid)

Up to 4 weeks before EDD.
Up to 6 weeks after delivery
*Does not guarantee job security.*

Paid Family Leave (PFL)

Up to 6 weeks
*This can be used anytime within the first year of the child being born.*
**This can be used immediately after the SDI, and the one week holding period to get PFL can happen at the same time as the last week of SDI coverage.**
***Does not guarantee job security.***

Family Leave Medical Act (FMLA)

Unpaid and up to 12 weeks total
*Can be used concurrently with SDI and PFL*
**Guarantees job security**

California Unpaid Family Leave (CFRA)

Up to 12 weeks total
*Guarantees job security*
**Can be used for child bonding**
***Doesn’t need to be taken all at once, but within one year of childbirth***

California Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL)

Up to 12 weeks/4 months
*Guarantees job security*
**Can be used for morning sickness, prenatal visits, bed rest or child birth recovery**
***You can use PDL in addition to the 12 weeks of leave provided by the CFRA to give you time to bond with your new child.***
****Runs concurrently with FMLA****

So if you use SDI then PFL concurrently with PDL and then CFRA, you will be paid for most if not all of maternity leave. Not full pay, but at least some portion of your normal salary (~55%).

I'm not sure you will be able to convince a doctor to tell the company that you need additional time off unless you really do need the extra time to heal. If you're going through short term disability, I know they got my medical records and notes from the hospital and OB.

I'm six weeks postpartum today and I'm pretty much fully recovered and back to my old self (even after a nasty third degree tear). I go back to work on Monday and honestly I am *so* ready to do something more than change diapers and wash bottles all day - I thought I would enjoy being home, but I miss adult interaction!

no advice just lots of :hugs::hugs::hugs:
it boggles my mind you ladies get such little maternity leave....

I get 8 wks paid because I had a c section. I was also told that I could apply for 10 extra days, but there would need to be a letter from the pediatrician stating why I need that extra time. My LO was in the NICU for over 2 wks so I'm hoping I can use that as to why I need those 10 days.

I get 12 weeks total but I have to use my own vacation time to get paid for all 12 weeks. Actually even if I just took 8 weeks, I would need to use vaca time then too!

Stinks!

Where on earth do you live where u get 39 weeks PAID??????

Yea, this is why the US has a lower percentage of working mothers compared to other western countries. It's hard, especially if you're breastfeeding because you can't take turns with night time feedings. But just remember that thousands of women have successfully gone back to work in 6 weeks and successfully breastfed. It will be hard but you can do it!

in the united kingdom you are entitled to 39 weeks paid maternity leave and you can then take a further 13 weeks unpaid leave if you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->