How to relieve migraines during pregnancy?

LilPeanuts

Reaction score
As if morning sickness wasn't enough! Now I'm getting these awful migraines a couple times a week and I literally can't move from bed. Tylenol hasn't touched the pain. I've tried cold ice packs on my head and neck, rest, plenty of hydration...nothing works. When I have the headaches it also increases my morning sickness a whole lot. Any advice? I doubt there are any medications for migraines that are safe during pregnancy but if you know of any, please let me know!

I've been having bad headaches here and there too that make me nauseous, I know how you feel. The only thing that helps me is DH gives me a light head/neck lymphatic massage. Have your OH or someone just lightly rub their fingertips from your forehead, down the back of your head, down your neck, and into both your armpits. Your armpits have lymphnodes that will empty any excess fluid back into your system. Might sound strange, but it helps a lot!

The only thing that works for me when I have a migraine during pregnancy is drinking some caffeine and laying down in a dark room with soothing music on (usually New Age like Amethystium). I was told no medication for migraines except Tylenol, which does absolutely nothing, blah. Hope you feel better!

Do you get the visual aura first? As soon as I see a hint of it, I lie down and cover my eyes up and it helps.

Do you get the visual aura first? As soon as I see a hint of it, I lie down and cover my eyes up and it helps.

Unfortunately I never get the aura. By the time I realize I'm getting a migraine, it's too late! I am finally getting relief from it today. It lasted 3 days this time :(

You could try aspirin (small dose 75mg) lots of women take it in pregnancies and their is research to show it can help relieve migraines. Obv check with your health care provider first.

Tylenol + caffeine is the only thing that ever seems to help mine. Using doTerra's "Past tense" oil on my temples and the back of my neck gives some temporary pain relief, too.

Sadly when I have migraines (whether pregnant or not), I have to go through all my triggers first (like do I need caffeine, do I need sleep, is there a weather front coming through, are my allergies acting up). If it's not a bad migraine, caffeine or sleep will help it, but if it's allergies or weather front, or something more, then I have to take something for it, and when pregnant Tylenol, but that rarely touched them. So I just coupled it with a cool wash cloth over my eyes and sleep.

Are you feeling better today LilPeanuts?

Selaphyna that's usually what I try to do is go over what could have triggered it. I usually stick to one cup of coffee in the morning and sometimes a soda with dinner so unfortunately another dose of caffeine doesn't cure my migraines. Tylenol doesn't touch it either. I think mine might be stress related. And yes I'm finally feeling back to normal today! Thank you!

I'm wondering the same thing. I suffer with menstrual migraines (which get exacerbated by low pressure) and am now entering my third day with this beast after a thunderstorm on Monday.

Tylenol doesn't do a damn thing. Massaging my head and neck and getting some fresh air helps a little but otherwise I'm just waiting it out. It really does seem to make all of my other symptoms worse. Miserable.

Maybe I'll just have to move somewhere hot and sunny for the rest of my pregnancy :)

Hope you found some relief.

Caffeine always makes mine worse. I'm not sure how I would cope if I didn't get the aura first, you poor thing :-(. I have had an aura almost every day during this pregnancy, my migraines seem to be triggered by hormones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->