How to tell the difference between a kick and a flutter?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Bingles, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Bingles

Bingles Proud mum of one

Ok girls this is prob a stupid question so sorry :wacko: but I have been having flutters for weeks now but just recently they have been getting stronger and I am wondering are they kicks. I have had my hand on my belly where I feel them but cant feel them on my hand I really really want my OH to feel what I am feeling so maybe I am just hoping they are kicks, What di you think. Can you get kicks that you cant outwardly feel?

2. alibaba24

alibaba24 Well-Known Member

yes you can definatly get kicks that you feel with your hands wait until your bump starts moving around :rofl: I never really got the flutters and if i did i didnt realise. There was no mistaking my first kick though it feels like a blunt nudge/poke from the inside and lasted a second. Well thats how it felt for me anyway

xxx

3. Bingles

Bingles Proud mum of one

Yes they feel like a strong poke from the inside out but no feeling on the hand, I like the fact i can feel it and I know its ok and moving just wish he could feel it too

4. Emx

Emx Mum/Cautiously pregnant

I didnt really get flutters either - went straight on to kicks... the best way I can describe it is like having a heart palpatation (if you've ever had one?) but in your tummy... My OH has only felt her twice, even now.. with his hand on my tummy all he seems to feel is my pulse unless she gives an almighty kick!

5. honeygrl

honeygrl Well-Known Member

Mine can be seen and felt pretty well moving from the outside but the second DH puts his hand on my bump the baby just freezes and won't move until DH moves his hand. haha Seems to be a common problem from what I'v read from other women here. Doesn't help that DH doesn't have enough patience to wait long enough for it. After about 30 seconds he says his hand feels too sweaty and he moves it. The second his hand moves away, baby kicks.

6. lamplighter

lamplighter Well-Known Member

I always thought of 'flutters' as the sensation of some sort of movement but not being able to distinguish what it was - a weird butterfly flapping in the tummy or the feeling like something in there 'shifted'. Kicks I would describe more as a deliberate push or poke from the inside toward the outside! I think you can definitely still call it a kick when you feel it, even if you can't feel it with your hand yet. Sometimes I can't tell if I am feeling it from the outside. My OH has felt it with his hand several times, but a lot of the time I get a really strong kick right where his hand is and he doesn't feel a thing.

7. Babynumber1

Babynumber1 Mum of 1 & Pregnant

Well the flutters i got at around 14 weeks then it felt like pokes now its kicks as thier strongest iv felt and im like oh my god but my little fella doesnt kick all day at all only cpple of time late in the night.Bingles in 2 weeks you`ll know what strong kicks are if you think you havnt felt them yet :) xx

8. wait.and.see

wait.and.see Please stick little bean

I cannot wait to fell flutters, let alone kicks! :)

9. honeygrl

honeygrl Well-Known Member

A flutter IS a kick that just isn't strong enough to feel very well. As the baby gets bigger and stronger the flutters grow into kicks that you can feel more and more. You will also feel baby turning around and pushing out with his/her arms and elbows. Later on you may even be able to tell which appendage is poking out and have to push it back in a little with your hand so it doesn't hurt.

Don't worry... if you are feeling it, it's a kick! (or a punch or hiccups)

10. lillprutten

lillprutten Guest

Well I get both now, flutters feel like a finger stroking my belly from the inside (only way I can try to explain) and then kick is like a finger poking my belly from the inside suddenly and quickly whilst flutters arent usually that quickly over with meaning they last longer time if that makes sense?

11. minichicky

minichicky mummy to isaac

The way i describe it is like a throb. Hubby has felt them everyday since saturday now

12. Rozie_1985

Rozie_1985 Mummy To Joel

OH felt little man kick last night and it was hard, no mistaking it! His face was a picture bless him! You can tell the difference hunny xxx

13. Embovstar

Embovstar Mummy to Isaac 23.04.10

It's hard to put into words but I'll try my best...

M flutters were from about w'k 17?? They were SOOOOOOOOOOOOO light that I could have missed so many of them.

I've been getting full on prods and kicks since w'k 20 and you REALLY notice the difference. Some of Beans movements have stopped me in my tracks. I now know when Bean is awak / asleep and turning.

It is SOOOO obvious, you really will know when baby is moving or kicking! <3

Nicola xx

14. Bingles

Bingles Proud mum of one

Thanks for the replys. After reading this I think I am getting little kicks here and there they are just way to strong to be flutters I am sure it will be only a matter of time till he gets to feel them. xx