HPV.....Sorry its long

Vikki2010

Reaction score
Has anyone had a pregnancy while having HPV?

Ive known for a while and everythings OK with pregnancy but ive never told my partner and its in my notes which I have at home now and im scared he will find out.

I know its selfish of me not to tell him but im scared ill lose him we have been together for nearly 5 years and I dont want to lose him now im pregnant the thought of being a single parent frightens me.

Ive never actually told anyone and the guilt is eating me up so I thought id share with you lot and get it off my chest :(

Do you think im doing the right thing not telling him?

xx

didnt want to read and run, im not sure what HPV is, excuse my ignorance. I suggest maybe explaining to your partner, im sure it would be worse if he found out by mistake?x

I would advise looking it up as its kinda hard to explain x

isnt that humanpapiloma virus or something? I know women can contract it from men.. but can a man contract it form a woman? if so..id say tell him..its only fair. if he cant catch it its up to you. But, if you dont want to say you knew this whole time you could always say you didnt know until now. just so he knows incase of an emergency or if he needed to be aware some time in the future. (hopefully im thinking of the right thing..)

i have it at th min - will PM you

but like you i dont know what to say to bf! told him i have been told i have it!!! but he doesnt seem to have a clue what it is! so i am just like argh what do i do now!

I have had HPV and honestly one) it won't affect your pregnancy...and 2) if you and your partner are going to be together exclusively I wouldn't worry about it. for one obviously you have had sex so if it was going to be passed on it would have already..and it doesn't have the health effects on men like it does on women. over 80% of women get HPV at some point in there lives so it's not uncommon. I was very ashamed when i got diagnosed many many years ago but after doing some research and learning how prevalent it is and that there was really nothing that can be done about it now so i think you are fine in my opinion.

most important thing is to keep up on your checkups since it can be a precursor to cervical cancer.

Hi there, I don't currently have HPV but I had it a few years back. First thing is you HAVE to tell your partner. Men can contract HPV and while there is no test for men, HPV can lead to cancer of the penis in men, so his doctor should be aware of the risk.

For those who don't know about HPV roughly 80% of the sexually active population will have contracted HPV in their lifetime. Most don't know it because the disease usually clears up on it's own with no ill effects. But in women if it doesn't clear up it can lead to cervical cancer. When you go in for a pap smear one of the things the docs are looking for is HPV. If you test positive for HPV they do a procedure in which they examine your cervix for abnormal growths and then take biopsies of said areas. After the results come back the decide what action to take. In my case they didn't do anything because it was no where near cancer and they wanted to see if it would clear up on it's own (which it did). Others will have the infeceted parts of your cervix frozen off or burned off. In extreme cases the entire cervix is removed.

Anywho....keep an eye on your HPV, alert your doctor if you develop the warts that show up with certain strains of HPV, and make sure you get a pap smear done at least every six months so they can keep up to date on your abnormal cells.

Also, if you don't tell your partner everytime you have sex you're bascially just bouncing it back and forth between the two of you, never really giving it a chance to clear up (if it's going to)

HPV is very common. They say 1 in 4 people have it. When I went to the OB and got my pap smear I was half expecting it.. I was shocked that I didn't have it.. that's how common it is.

Has he ever had a wart? It's the same thing- just a different strain- and it doesn't always show any symptoms at all and it often resolves itself.

You need to tell him just so he knows. It would be silly for him to leave since it is so common. Anyone he is with could have it and he wouldn't necessarily know about it unless someone told him.

So does this clear itself up or does it remain dorment in your body??

Hey hun i've currently got it and had it for the last 18-24mths. I got for smears and checks up every 6mths. I was told it wouldn't affect my pregnancy unless warts developed and in that case they would decided whether a vaginal birth was still appropriate and if not c-section. It can do no harm to your baby while its cooking away :D

It can sometimes remain dormat in the body and potentially develop into pre-cancerous cells which is why its very important to keep going to your check ups, but more then often it clears up on its own. MY OB told me my body hasn't kicked started itself into fighting it off yet. It has just remained the same for the last 2yrs very mild and barely an issue for now.

Hope that helps.

Ok..so sorry for being a pain but here is my question. Do they routinely test for this during paps? I have never tested pos for it if that is the case...but all of a sudden I have noticed a small smooth bump(wart?) on the inner part of my V....I am married to a man that I have concerns of faithfulness with...so if this IS hpv does that mean it was given recently if my pap in July came back problem free?

Hi- this is a area i work in so i will try and de mistify it for you- HPV or warts is a virus. Anyone who has ever had sex at any time may have come in to contact with the virus - there is not just one strain there a loads of strains and it os at your smear screening that athey are checking for the cancerous ones.

Warts can suddenly turn up in pregnancy and be no reflection of your partners faithfulness- just your immune system reacting to the pregnancy and may be that the virus has been dormant for a while :)

Different stats about but they say about 50% of population has come into contact with the virus at one point in their life.
:) x

Do they test for this during pregnancy screening?

Ok..so sorry for being a pain but here is my question. Do they routinely test for this during paps? I have never tested pos for it if that is the case...but all of a sudden I have noticed a small smooth bump(wart?) on the inner part of my V....I am married to a man that I have concerns of faithfulness with...so if this IS hpv does that mean it was given recently if my pap in July came back problem free?

Dr do not routine check for hpv. They will usually only test if there is a reason to believe hpv is present. Also you can never get rid of hpv but the virus can go dormant in you body after a couple of years.

Really once you have HPV it never goes away, there ia no cure, but it can stay dormant in ur body.. I have Hpv ( genital Warts) Had it for 6 months last year and it hasnt come back ever since

Just to throw in a new one, I think I may have hsv. It's equally common and a high number of men in particular who have it never get symptoms. Not only is it not routinely tested for, you can't test unless there are sores present. Hence its prevalence, about 1 in 4. I think I got it from my ex but as it can be years in some cases before it shows and you can get it without symptoms its impossible to ever know. I told my boyfriend straight away and he understood because he recognises how common it is and how its just part of life. Its a virus like any other its just taboo how its caught. Which is daft when you think how prevalent it is. We all have sex with a trusted partner without a condom at some point. I would tell him and give him all the facts. Don't be ashamed about it. Thats a part of the problem and why these things are passed on. If he's not understanding send him to me for an arse kicking. :)

I think that you have a responsibility to tell him if you have something that he can contract. Just tell him you never knew before as it can be completely asymptomatic and you've never had reason to get tested for it until they tested for it during your pregnancy as a routine test.

Hi ladies, If you go on to jostrust its a cervical cancer site they have lots on the HPV subject. I have cervical cancer 4 years ago caused by the HPV virus.

I'm pretty sure that anytime you get a pap smear they check for abnormal cells, which is the indicator of HPV....and to OP, many times it DOES resolve itself. They just have to keep on top of it in case it is a strain that causes cervical cancer...but there are plenty of strains that don't.

As for HSV, usually they do a culture on an outbreak...but they can do a bloodwork to test for it, there's just circumstances that might make it negative when it's positive. It also might not be able to tell if you have a "current" HSV infection or a "dormant" one. It might not show up either if you were recently infected.

A lot of viruses can be seen thru bloodwork because your body fights it off and leaves antigens which can be picked up from a blood test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->