HPV.....Sorry its long

Thanks for all the info ladies....I go to Ob/Gyn today and am going to ask about getting tested...
This is a great post for any ladies who are unsure of how or where to get info on this common yet untalked about virus....

I'm pretty sure that anytime you get a pap smear they check for abnormal cells, which is the indicator of HPV....and to OP, many times it DOES resolve itself. They just have to keep on top of it in case it is a strain that causes cervical cancer...but there are plenty of strains that don't.

As for HSV, usually they do a culture on an outbreak...but they can do a bloodwork to test for it, there's just circumstances that might make it negative when it's positive. It also might not be able to tell if you have a "current" HSV infection or a "dormant" one. It might not show up either if you were recently infected.

A lot of viruses can be seen thru bloodwork because your body fights it off and leaves antigens which can be picked up from a blood test.

That's interesting. In the UK it seems we are only tested by swab. Can't see why they don't do bloods if it's possible to pick up antibodies / antigens in the blood. But there doesn't seem to be that option! So far I've had three tests, the first two have been negative, but the nurse said that does happen often with this. Waiting for the results of the third - no idea what else it could be if it isn't this, I've had a full screening done too. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure that anytime you get a pap smear they check for abnormal cells, which is the indicator of HPV....and to OP, many times it DOES resolve itself. They just have to keep on top of it in case it is a strain that causes cervical cancer...but there are plenty of strains that don't.

As for HSV, usually they do a culture on an outbreak...but they can do a bloodwork to test for it, there's just circumstances that might make it negative when it's positive. It also might not be able to tell if you have a "current" HSV infection or a "dormant" one. It might not show up either if you were recently infected.

A lot of viruses can be seen thru bloodwork because your body fights it off and leaves antigens which can be picked up from a blood test.

That's interesting. In the UK it seems we are only tested by swab. Can't see why they don't do bloods if it's possible to pick up antibodies / antigens in the blood. But there doesn't seem to be that option! So far I've had three tests, the first two have been negative, but the nurse said that does happen often with this. Waiting for the results of the third - no idea what else it could be if it isn't this, I've had a full screening done too. :shrug:

It does make you wonder doesn't it? I got very sick a few years back and they diagnosed me with an autoimmune disease, but before that I went to an infectious disease Doctor and they actually tested me for a bunch of viruses.. he said he could see some old illnesses.. i asked him what and he said Parvo in an offhanded kinda way.. can you believe that?

Just rambling.... sorry.

The swabbing I think it one of the best ways, and a culture of a sore if you have one.. but yeah, not sure why they wouldn't do bloodwork.. maybe it's expensive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->