HSG and Antibiotics- Nervous!!!

FrancoRie710

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I just scheduled my HSG and I'm nervous enough about that, then they told me I would need to start on an antibiotic the day before and take it for three days. I know this is standard procedure for them, but is this always the case? It kind of scared me that they automatically prescribe the antibiotic, like the risk of infection is THAT high?! I'm nervous enough about them injecting radioactive dye into my baby-maker, I don't need more things to worry about! If you guys could ease my mind with your experiences that would be helpful!

PS. Bonus for you of your HSG experience ended up in you getting pregnant!

Hmmm....I'm curious to see the answer to this also. I've never heard of a doc giving antibiotics before a HSG before. I've had 3 done with 3 different doctors and that wasn't suggested by any of them. It seems like from everyone's experiences on here that the doc usually just tells you to take a few ibuprofen before the procedure.

You may want to Google and see if that is normal?

Same as PP, I had one done (when we weren't TTC, so can't help ya there) But I never was on anti's and the doc never told me I had to be on them or prescribed me any..
The only thing the doc said to take was Ibuprophen if I felt crampy.. I'd do some research hun!!

Also, I really really liked having DH there. It didn't hurt, it just felt like a little rough pap honestly. but It was nice that he was there to hold my hand, because it can get kind of overwhelming.

Good luck!!

Yeah this website https://www.reproductivepartners.com/fertility-treatment/HSG.html said

"Prior to the HSG appointment, your physician may prescribe prophylactic antibiotics to be taken beforehand to minimize the risk of infection secondary to the HSG."

I guess it's normal but set off my alarm bells for sure. If anyone else is reading this and did take antibiotics please respond! Thanks to the other ladies for you input!

I'm with the PP, I was just told Ibuprophen. I just had mine a week ago.

Some people say that it is painful and others say it's not. I wish I knew what the difference was because I am one of the ones that felt the pain. It was just a couple minutes though, noting too long.

I'm with the PP, I was just told Ibuprophen. I just had mine a week ago.

Some people say that it is painful and others say it's not. I wish I knew what the difference was because I am one of the ones that felt the pain. It was just a couple minutes though, noting too long.

Thanks for the input everyone. I just had the HSG and it was painful but not unbearable and it was over super fast. They said the antibiotics are just a precaution that they use with everyone because even though the risk of infection is small, introducing any foreign object to the body causes a risk and the preemptive antibiotics "significantly" reduce the risk of infection. Hey, I'm all for increasing those chances. I was just nervous about the procedure period and anything at all unexpected probably would have freaked me out. Glad it's over!

BTW- they said everything is normal! I guess I'll just have to be patient... so hard.

I guess what they say makes sense, I'm kinda thinking maybe we all should have been taking something.

Glad that everything is ok, lets cross our fingers for an HSG baby.

I know this is kinda late since you had your already, but I was prescribed azithromycin, 500 mg to take the night before (it was two pills at 250mg). I was also told I could take Ibuprophen at dinner, bedtime, and breakfast the day before/morning of to help with cramping, but I didn't have any so I just took the antibitotics...I had discomfort during but very little after and then some pink fluid for the first hour and that was it. I do believe most of my discomfort was during the transvaginal ultrasound they did immediately after the HSG because they were really searching for my right ovary and tube ...anywho..all done and on to the next test

I know this is kinda late since you had your already, but I was prescribed azithromycin, 500 mg to take the night before (it was two pills at 250mg). I was also told I could take Ibuprophen at dinner, bedtime, and breakfast the day before/morning of to help with cramping, but I didn't have any so I just took the antibitotics...I had discomfort during but very little after and then some pink fluid for the first hour and that was it. I do believe most of my discomfort was during the transvaginal ultrasound they did immediately after the HSG because they were really searching for my right ovary and tube ...anywho..all done and on to the next test

Thanks for the reply!

No worries as was said that is super normal. I had my hsg 2 weeks ago, took antibiotics day before day of and day after hsg. I was nervous too about it. I popped 3 extra strength liquid Advils an hour before and it wasn't too bad just slight crampy feeling. After I spotted and had mild cramps (manageable) for 3 days then everything was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->