HSG test and getting pregnant?

Mamaok

Reaction score
I am concerned about the HSG test causing us not to get pregnant this cycle. Has anyone had the HSG test and got pregnant on the same cycle it was done? I get the reason for it but part of me wonders how the dye and radiation will affect it will have on the follicles and sperm?

My FS said that he feels that the HSG test is actually beneficial in couples conceiving. That is why they like to get people in after AF and then before O. I am sure that they flush everything out with saline. I would imagine they do. Maybe you can call and ask if they flush the dye from the tubes?

I had to have mine right after my period was over and I couldn't take Clomid that cycle either. We were however told that we could still time BDing and TTC naturally that cycle. I did get answers to why nothing was working. I had both tubes blocked. The dye opened up my left but they said it looked like the right was scarred shut part of the way through it. At least I got answers. I'm at the end of my 3rd cycle since, last 2 were Clomid 50mg and sadly I have not gotten my blessing yet. AF is due Saturday and I'm planning for her :( Best of luck and :dust:

My FS said that he feels that the HSG test is actually beneficial in couples conceiving. That is why they like to get people in after AF and then before O. I am sure that they flush everything out with saline. I would imagine they do. Maybe you can call and ask if they flush the dye from the tubes?

I remember everything on the try and there wasn't any saline on there. Just the brown iodine to clean first and then the clear dye (I had imagined it would be glowing green, LOL). I was told that the body absorbs it and it's such a low level of radiation it won't hurt you. I was told you get more overall radiation from a CT scan. I was a worry wart in there though so who knows the facts on that but that's what the radiologist said.

Hiya I'm a Radiographer and do HSG. No we don't flush with saline afterwards there is no need a lot of the dye runs straight back out and the rest is very quickly absorbed by the body. As for the radiation - its a very low dose procedure compared to a lot of examinations we do e.g CT scans or Angiograms but is a higher dose than a plain x-ray. I would me more than happy to have one done? (I dont want one tho lol) Good luck xxxxx

I had the HSG x-ray done on September 12th. I just got my BFP yesterday, September 29th.

We have tried to conceive since March. Like you, I didn't expect anything this month (especially because I ovulated a day later than usual) but the HSG may have given me the BFP.

Hiya I'm a Radiographer and do HSG. No we don't flush with saline afterwards there is no need a lot of the dye runs straight back out and the rest is very quickly absorbed by the body. As for the radiation - its a very low dose procedure compared to a lot of examinations we do e.g CT scans or Angiograms but is a higher dose than a plain x-ray. I would me more than happy to have one done? (I dont want one tho lol) Good luck xxxxx

The radiologist that did my HSG told me since one tube didn't open that every other month I have a chance now. My doctor however said that the good tube can "grab" the egg from the other ovary and every month is a chance still. The doctor also said that ovaries don't go back and forth (ovulating right left right left) and that you can have eggs on the right or left a couple months in a row sometimes. Do you have any thoughts on these things?

The HSG test is actually known to increase your chances of conceiving in the following several months, of course assuming everything shows up normal on the test, also that you do successfully ovulate, and DH's sperm has been tested and is within normal range for all contributing factors. I had one done in 2009 and conceived my DS a couple weeks later, my DH is a doctor and he says that it's thought to kind of "clean out" your fallopian tubes, that's why they find that fertility can actually increase by 1/3 in the following months.

GL hun!!

Ok, I have to start off by saying this is a true first for me! I've never joined a forum before, so this is all new to me. I'm 26 and have been TTC for 4 years (technically 6 but husband was deployed for 2 of those years...so I guess I won't count those). ;) I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15...rather a rough age to find out you'll have difficulties in getting pregnant down the road. My husband recently got back from a year tour in Afghanistan, and we're finally breaking down and getting all sorts of tests ran to see what I need to do in order to get pregnant. I recently found out that I have hypothyroidism along with my PCOS, so I am now taking 50 mg of synthroid in order to get my levels back to normal. I don't think I ovulate on my own at all. There was a brief time when my husband was deployed to Iraq for 15 months, that I dropped a lot of weight due to working 50 hours a week, and I started to have a period on my own...I had to be ovulating then. So now, I'm on progesterone to start my period. I take it for 7 days every 5 weeks. Once I start my period, (which should be the 3rd or 4th of August), I have to call and make my appointment for an HSG procedure. My question is this: Will I ovulate if I haven't ovulated on my own in a long time?? Is there anyone that has PCOS and or hypothyroidism that has had positive results from the HSG procedure? I've recently had a normal pap, and a normal ultrasound. I think I just need to ovulate. After my HSG and things come back normal, (and my thyroid levels are ok), my fertility doctor will start me on clomid. Also, can anyone give me a brief run on your abbreviations?? I'm kind of lost with them. :/ Also, my husband is 30 and has a 10 year old son. Great sperm count. ;)

Ok, I have to start off by saying this is a true first for me! I've never joined a forum before, so this is all new to me. I'm 26 and have been TTC for 4 years (technically 6 but husband was deployed for 2 of those years...so I guess I won't count those). ;) I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15...rather a rough age to find out you'll have difficulties in getting pregnant down the road. My husband recently got back from a year tour in Afghanistan, and we're finally breaking down and getting all sorts of tests ran to see what I need to do in order to get pregnant. I recently found out that I have hypothyroidism along with my PCOS, so I am now taking 50 mg of synthroid in order to get my levels back to normal. I don't think I ovulate on my own at all. There was a brief time when my husband was deployed to Iraq for 15 months, that I dropped a lot of weight due to working 50 hours a week, and I started to have a period on my own...I had to be ovulating then. So now, I'm on progesterone to start my period. I take it for 7 days every 5 weeks. Once I start my period, (which should be the 3rd or 4th of August), I have to call and make my appointment for an HSG procedure. My question is this: Will I ovulate if I haven't ovulated on my own in a long time?? Is there anyone that has PCOS and or hypothyroidism that has had positive results from the HSG procedure? I've recently had a normal pap, and a normal ultrasound. I think I just need to ovulate. After my HSG and things come back normal, (and my thyroid levels are ok), my fertility doctor will start me on clomid. Also, can anyone give me a brief run on your abbreviations?? I'm kind of lost with them. :/ Also, my husband is 30 and has a 10 year old son. Great sperm count. ;)

Don't know if you're still reading but I'm due an hsg in 2 weeks and have hypothyroidism. We've been ttc for 2.5 years. I'll let you know if it works!

I have my HSG appt in less than 24 hours .. Feel nervous

Me too trying to conceive for 8 straight months now.
Scheduled to have HSG on Monday. DH was diagnosed with low sperm motility, 38% in June and has been on meds since then.

Me too trying to conceive for 8 straight months now.
Scheduled to have HSG on Monday. DH was diagnosed with low sperm motility, 38% in June and has been on meds since then.

I did HSG on sep 30 .. DH has just 26% motility in march .. Since then on meds

For anyone reading this thread it's great to hear all the positives of having this test done and getting a BFP that month but i think people are forgetting what this test is for.... i read all the positives, thought it might be a mucus plug, planned my BD for that month pinned all my hopes on it then i got the devastating news both my tubes are blocked. I'm not trying to scare anyone i just want a bit of reality brought to this thread. I came out of the procedure a complete mess, totally devastated and inconsolable. To anyone who reads this PLEASE don't pin your hopes on this being your miracle cure like i did. For some it is for others its the complete opposite. Good luck though girls in getting your BFP and i wish you all well. x

Hope: hugs for u .. What was ure next step after you found that .. I am still waiting for my report .. But the doc said my tubes looked fine ..

My husband and I have been TCC for 5 years. If I was lucky I had 2 periods a year. My first ob/gyn put me on birth control for 3 years to regulate my period. As soon as I got off of it my periods disappeared. The 2nd ob/gyn I went to diagnosed me with Thyroid and tried to put me on birth control. My 3rd ob/gyn diagnosed me with PCOS in May. All my blood test and hormone test were normal so she prescribed me some Provera. Once I had a period she scheduled me for a HSG. I had it done in June 7 and had a normal period in July. I found out I was pregnant August 31.

Hope: hugs for u .. What was ure next step after you found that .. I am still waiting for my report .. But the doc said my tubes looked fine ..

First i am so glad your tubes are fine, don't worry about waiting for the report as if they are fine they can tell instantly, they told me straight away my tubes were blocked. Hope the procedure helps and you get your BFP soon. x
My HSG was in due in June and it showed my tubes to be blocked at the proximal end (near the uterus) so i had a lap and dye and hysterscopy on 7th sep to try and unblock them (as i have never had STI they is a lot higher chance) unfortunatly it was worse than they expected my tubes were pulled away from my uterus and stuck to my pelvic wall. They were also blocked at both ends proxmal and distal so i was diagnosed with grade 3 tubal disease and my only way forward is IVF. My partner of 11years and i have since split up so things are really bad for me at the moment.

First i am so glad your tubes are fine, don't worry about waiting for the report as if they are fine they can tell instantly, they told me straight away my tubes were blocked. Hope the procedure helps and you get your BFP soon. x
My HSG was in due in June and it showed my tubes to be blocked at the proximal end (near the uterus) so i had a lap and dye and hysterscopy on 7th sep to try and unblock them (as i have never had STI they is a lot higher chance) unfortunatly it was worse than they expected my tubes were pulled away from my uterus and stuck to my pelvic wall. They were also blocked at both ends proxmal and distal so i was diagnosed with grade 3 tubal disease and my only way forward is IVF. My partner of 11years and i have since split up so things are really bad for me at the moment.

I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through .. Splitting with DH when you are going thru such a rough time must have made it even more difficult for you .. How many kids do you have? From your name I guess u must be having atleast one kid already .. Hope things work out for you .. And u get your hope for one more baby eventually .. The sooner the better .. **HuGs**

I am 35 and have 3girls 15,16 & 17. I got married when i was 18yrs and it was a bad marriage, i have brought the girls up on my own since they were 8wks, 1 & 2. It was very hard as i could not drive and had no support. I was hoping to have a baby with my partner of 11yrs to finally have the fairy tale. I am struggling emotionally to come to terms with never having another and watching so many couples push prams around so happy and in love- it's so hard.
In the past year i have lost my father, my fertility (future i had planned) and my partner. My life is so bad right now i cannot see a way out :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->