HSG Test...

Baby4MeRenee

Reaction score
Sooo I'm scheduled for a HSG test next Thursday. Can anyone share their experience during and after. And did it help you in your journey to conceiving.

Hey girl- I haven't had one yet but am scheduling one for next week so just wanted to say hi so we can share results and be there for each other!

How long have you been trying? What's your story?

Hi. So glad we're on the same journey and doing the same test. I've been trying to conceive for a little over a year, but just recently decided to be more proactive about it. I decided to consult with a fertility doctor and see what my steps could be. So with my very irregular cycles, my dr figured I probably have PCOS because I have other symptoms other than just the cycle that align with PCOS, but we have yet to really assume that that's what I have. I've had a lot of blood tests and hormone tests done, which all come back normal, in fact the last test showed that I have a high number of eggs in my reserve which I'm so excited about, and my doctor figured a HSG would be the next best step to see if maybe my problem is perhaps a blocked tube or something so I'm excited for this test next week and excited to see if it'll be the gateway to me conceiving soon after. Best of luck with yours as well. I'm definitely going to keep updating you on everything. Oh and we've also talked about the possibility of getting on Clomid, because of the good things I've heard about it , but only if it gets to the point that we need to try it. (Hopefully the HSG is the miracle I need though)

I have an HSG scheduled on Friday!
So although I have not been trying 12 months or more (8 months for us) I am worried something is wrong. My first 3 pregnancies (including an early miscarriage) were conceived the 1st cycle. My 4th pregnancy, and youngest dd, took 2 cycles. We have been timing everything perfectly and yet this time no pregnancy in 8 months! I never thought it would take this long.
My cycles are pretty irregular. Anywhere from 29-40ish days. But for me this has kind of always been the norm and it has not effected my fertility in the past. Like you I also had my progesterone, estradiol, FSH, prolactin, and TSH tested and all were normal except my TSH was 3.49. That means I have a little bit of hypothyroidism since they like to see it between a 1-2 if you are TTC. So I just started meds for that. But I wonder if I possibly have fibroids or adhesions from my c-sections. I have been having random pains and cramps the last several months so I am worried something is wrong! I actually have special ultrasound on Thurs to check for that. They are going to insert saline into my uterus until it's full then do an ultrasound and that will help them see any abnormalities. The HSG is the next day.

Hi everyone

I had an HSG last year. Mine was pain free but a bit uncomfortable as they had trouble keeping the tube in the right place. I think that was unusual because they seemed surprised.
I was dreading it but it wasn't too bad.
Mine was at my hospital in a full operation looking room. My husband wasn't allowed in as it involved xrays. I had to change into a gown and funny pants and walk in. You get it all explained to you and then you lie down and put your feet up. You can see the x ray screen the whole time so will see the dye moving around.
I was told straight away everywhere was clear.

Messy afterwards, the dye is clear and sticky so bring pads and pants with you. Few tummy cramps after but no big deal.

For me I had it in July last year and fell pregnant in December. Not sure if it cleared everything out or helped. I did nothing different, when I fell pregnant we had been trying for two and a half years. I say the HSG was the thing that helped us.

Good luck, it's not too bad!
Joy x

I had one last year. It was a little painful but no worse that mild period cramps - the worst bit is when they insert the tube into your cervix, again that’s just uncomfortable more than painful (although I did take two paracetamol half hour before my appointment). It is very undignified as basically you’re lying on an operating table with a speculum in keeping you open, with two people in the room slowly injecting stuff into you while they take X-rays. It is supposed to increase fertility and I got pregnant that cycle after three years with no pregnancy ttc, and again the next cycle after that, but sadly they both ended in miscarriage (untreated to hsg). I agree take some wet wipes and a pad as it’s gross and sticky after!
Good luck.

Thanks so much ladies for the replies ! I hope all goes well and I don't experience as much pain/discomfort, and I'll remember to bring pads and a change of pants. I'll have my boyfriend accompanying me for support. I'm really hoping this helps us conceive, as I have no kids and I'm getting so anxious as to when my day will finally come .

@red_head, I'm so sorry about the losses.

Thanks for sharing your story! We are on similar timelines- we have been ttc for over a year with no luck. Just went for our first infertility appointment this week at my OBGYN! Going to get blood work done on CD 3, HSG, and hubby is getting SA. We are going back in to review results next month!

My cycles are all normal and my doctor said "the good news is everything looks normal and you're doing everything right. The bad news is you're doing everything right. Which is relieving and also makes me very sad and frustrated at the same time.

I left the appointment and cried. This whole thing has just been such a roller coaster!

Let's stay in touch about all our results!!

Wow! Our situations are so similar except my cycles are very irregular. I talked to my bf about getting the SA. At first he was asking why lol but then he started joking about having his sperm in a cup lol but said he'd do it. I hope we both get the results we're looking for in the end. I'll definitely keep you updated trough it all .

Wow! Our situations are so similar except my cycles are very irregular. I talked to my bf about getting the SA. At first he was asking why lol but then he started joking about having his sperm in a cup lol but said he'd do it. I hope we both get the results we're looking for in the end. I'll definitely keep you updated trough it all .

My husband was not happy about having to get a SA. He said it was really embarrassing, but he did it. He did it at a fertility clinic and that is where I got my sonohysterography today and am getting the HSG tomorrow. When I went in today there were a couple of guys by themselves at the fertility clinic which I am guessing they were waiting for their SA's.

That was nice of him to go through with it despite being embarrassed, hopefully my boyfriend sticks to his word and get his done too. Good luck with your HSG tomorrow and please share how everything goes.

Just scheduled my HSG for Tuesday!! I will let you know how it goes!

I just got back from my HSG. My tubes are open and clear. They said there were no blockages or anything. Literally took about 60 seconds to do. I just had to undress from the waist down then lay back on the table with my feet in stirrups. Then the metal clamp thing was inserted to open my cervix a little. That felt like a little bit of pressure for a couple seconds. Then he inserted the catheter and that part gave me a little bit of cramping, but not bad at all and it maybe lasted 3-4 seconds. Then they started pushing the dye through and I didn't feel that part at all. You can see it going through them on the screen. Then it was over and I was off. They provided a pad and told me that I would probably leak the dye over the next 24 hrs and that it will be sticky. On my drive home I had the slightest cramps. But hardly even noticeable and much less painful than period cramps. They lasted about 10 minutes only so we will see if they come back or not? I took tylenol about 30 minutes before the procedure so maybe thats why i dont feel pain?

I dont think I mentioned they do it with x-ray.
I don't have insurance right now so it cost me $495.
The saline ultrasound I did yesterday cost $450. So I spent $945 for 2 minutes worth of procedures!

@jmack54- I'm so excited to hear how everything goes! And good luck!

@ashley2pink- I'm so glad everything is good and clear! How are you feeling now? I did hear it could be a bit expensive, but thankfully my insurance covers it.

That's great your insurance covers it.
I feel fine. I had no pain after the small amount of light cramping. I did have some bleeding after though. At first it was light spotting. The next day I suddenly had more, but it wasn't heavy, but more than just spotting. I am actually still spotting old brown blood today. Im not sure how long is normal to spot after it, but it has been a little over 48 hrs since I had it done

I finally had my test today!! Everything looked normal and there were no blockages. Hopefully this test has been beneficial in helping me conceive soon. I apologize for being away these couple days, I've been sooooo busy with work and everyday things, but couldn't wait to give an update. I felt so much pressure during the moments of the catheter and dye going in. I had little leakage afterwards and my bf was there by my side the whole time. My personal experience wasn't too bad , but thank you ladies for sharing your experiences. That gave me a idea of what I too could possibly experience during my test. Next up I'll see about him possibly getting a SA if that's part of the next steps recommended by my doctor, but I'm excited to find out where we go from here.

Glad it went well and that your tubes are open! My experience was the same- a little uncomfortable. I would say similar to getting a pap. Tubes were open so that's good! Unfortunately my insurance didn't cover it so that was a big bummer. We are meeting with my doctor on April 5th to review results of my blood work and husbands SA.

Jmack54- thanks! Glad your tunes are open as well. I have to meet with my doctor as well to go over my results, but I'm just glad everything came back normal. And sorry to hear your insurance doesn't cover it , that sucks! Hope all goes well when you go review your results/ husband's SA and your blood work comes back good . My boyfriend has yet to do his SA lol I think he changed his mind.

Hey! So I have been reading that you can be especially fertile for the 3 cycles following the HSG! Just another reason to get my hopes up lol. My follow up with the doctor after all our testing is next Thursday. How ya doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"