Hubby got shingles - Just my luck!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by pictureperfect, Oct 13, 2008.

1. pictureperfect

pictureperfect Well-Known Member

Hi all
    Hubby been feeling abit rough for a few days he went to the docs today and he has shingles!!!

The doc said as long as i've had chicken pox [which I have] then I will be fine but he is sending me for blood tests first thing tomorrow morning just to make sure, not sure what to do for the best, so I stay away tonight, phoned NHS direct and they said that I could only catch chicken pox from him if I touched where the rash is which i havn't so fingers crossed everything will be fine, apart from the fact I have a man who thinks he is dying to look after - worse than man flu :)

x

2. Nikkinoonoo

Nikkinoonoo Mummy to a gorgeous girl

Good luck with your tests tomorrow :) Hope hubby doesnt have you running around too much xXx

3. KatienSam

KatienSam Mummy to Ella & Faith <3

this is identical to my post couple of weeks ago. I wasnt sure if i'd had chicken pox and OH had to stay at his parents for a week, he is slowly getting better but you will be surprised at how painful it is, my OH was nearly rushed to hospital twice with it, once with the pain (it affects your nerve endings and can cause nerve damage if not treated) and once because he had a reaction to the medicine and couldnt move, couldnt eat or drink anything without being extremely violently sick etc, i was upset to see him so ill, he is never ill!!

Just be careful, dont touch the sores, dont touch his towels, cover all affected areas up overnight if he is in your bed etc, certainly not something you want while pregnant! I have managed to avoid it so far and OH's are just about scabbing over now!

xxx

4. pictureperfect

Thanks am just back from having blood tests at the hospital so hopefully i'll get the results this afternoon. Am sure i'll be fine, hubby is feeling fine at the moment but maybe that will change - i'm staying away from him until I know for sure that i'm ok x

5. Nikkinoonoo

How did it go? Did you get your results? xXx

6. katieandbump

katieandbump Well-Known Member

good luck for your results xxx

7. KatienSam

KatienSam Mummy to Ella & Faith <3

it took me 4 days to get the results at my hospital lol!

hope all is ok xx

8. pictureperfect

Still no results, phoned them late yesterday afternoon and nothing so got to phone them back between 12 and 3pm today - they had urgent on the slip but obviously they weren't that urgent!!!

Am sure everything will be fine [fingers crossed!]
    x

9. heather91

heather91 Preggers with 2nd

Surely nothing could be worse than man flu? :rofl: Good luck for your results. Hope your OH is feeling better soon x

10. pictureperfect

Just called the bloody doctors and they said that the results have come back but it says insufficient information and guess what only my doctor can call the lab to find out what that means and he doesn't work Wednesdays, this whole system is a joke!!!!
    So I have to wait another day to find out - AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

SORRY RANT OVER [well for now anyway!]

11. Nikkinoonoo

Awww no! Good luck for tomorrow! Hope thet have pulled their finger out by then and you get your results xXx

12. Angeldust

Angeldust Guest

Oh hun i wish him a speedy recovery
    there swines at giving out results over the phone its a pain hope you get the all clear hun XX

13. Holly21

Holly21 Well-Known Member

Poor you and poor OH. This is quite a good link and covers the basics https://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=1110

Most people have had chickenpox when they are younger - a lot of people get the bug and make the antibodies but don't display all the clinical signs. Some unfortunate people get reactivation of the Varicella zoster virus and develop shingles - he'll be infectious until they scab over. If he's sore and over the counter drugs such as paracetamol, ibuprofen etc aren't working then there are more effective painkillers which his doctor can prescribe. Antiviral drugs may be of use in the early stages of shingles.

Any doctor can access results from the lab so if your own GP isn't in that day, the duty GP can call up on their behalf to access them :hug:

14. Nikkinoonoo

Did you get your results yet? Hope everythings ok hun xXx

15. pictureperfect

Got my results today after alot of chasing around and me and baby are both immune from catching it so i've moved back home [yeah] not sure if hubby is more pleased to see me or the fact that he can have cooked dinners from now on again :)

Thanks for your messages
    xxx