Hubbys work holiday/paternity question

MNORBURY

Reaction score
Didn't really know what to title this thread but does anybody know where we stand on this.

Hubbys work only allow them to have christmas period off (inbetween christmas and new year) once every 5 years. We decided that he would work last year and have this coming christmas off as Evie will be more aware etc.

Anyhow it's been mentioned that he already had christmas off (2009) which was true but he was on paternity leave as we had a baby christmas day! it's not as if he booked it and planned to as she wasn't due until 13th Jan.

Does anybody know where he stands on this and if 2009 should be exempt as he was on pat leave?

I think it would just be up to his employer/ colleagues as him getting Christmas off every 5 years is not part of any employment law, it's just his employer's own terms& conditions.

It's not part of a written contract, but it is a gentleman's agreemennt if you could call it that, that in my work people who worked the previous year get first preference over getting the current year off. I have worked alternate Christmases the past four years.... but two of them I was off on maternity leave (the two that were my turn off!) At the end of the day though, the fact that I wasn't there means somebody else had to be there instead.

I do agree, even though he was off work for pat leave he was still not in work and someone else had to be in work. So i dont think there is much that can be done.

Depends. As mentioned if someone covered for his absence then fair play absence for what ever reason is absence. However say in my case I was off work Xmas just gone sick so no cover wqs put in place as it was last min iykwim. Therefore it won't go down as me being off.

Depends. As mentioned if someone covered for his absence then fair play absence for what ever reason is absence. However say in my case I was off work Xmas just gone sick so no cover wqs put in place as it was last min iykwim. Therefore it won't go down as me being off.

That's a good point, nobody had to sacrifice hols to cover him, whatever holidays had been booked remained x

Over here, fathers are legally allowed 2 weeks unpaid paternity leave after the birth/ adoption of a child. Unless they took annual leave to ensure they received pay during that period, it wouldn't be considered a holiday as such so could probably fight it if they really wanted to.
I would take a closer look at his contract, and paternity leave laws etc. and see if it's worth fighting with his employer about or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->