Huge weight gain and feeling down.

L

Lullabye

Hi, gals. I'm coming up on 8 weeks and have somehow managed to gain a pound a week. My MS has been terrible. All I can manage to eat is bread, potatoes, and cheese on toast, and I have to eat frequently to keep sickness at bay. I don't have any vomiting (a small blessing) but the nausea is relentless and I have no energy to exercise. I'm just napping and eating carbs! :cry:

I've struggled with my weight my whole life and managed to get to a somewhat healthy weight after having my son, but still at the top end of a healthy BMI. I gained SO much weight with him and was so determined to keep it under control with this baby. But I've already gained more that twice what I gained with my son by the end of the first trimester with him! I want to cry. I'm so angry with myself. My self esteem has gone out the window.

This is my fifth pregnancy, so I do feel the need to share my opinion here. The first trimester is ALL about survival. Seriously. It's a miserable time, many of us are sick, we're achy, we're exhausted, we're worried, and we don't know what to do with ourselves. Eat what you can keep down, and you can worry about gaining less later on in the pregnancy. I have an eating disorder, so I know this isn't easy, and the guilt weighs heavily on my heart sometimes when I'm gaining pregnancy weight, so I write in my journal every morning when I get up how I'm going to handle my feelings. Later on, when the nausea is gone, I'll start writing about how I'll control my eating. I'll even create meal plans in second and third trimesters. For right now, you've just gotta make it through this rough stage.

I've been exactly the same! I'm 15 weeks now and starting to feel much better so trying hard to make a conscious effort on what I eat now to control my weight gain going forwards. I too felt really low in first tri, but now I'm feeling better I'm able to think more positively about the next two. Sorry that's no real advice, just know you're not alone.

I feel your pain. I've had severe MS in every one of my pregnancies except for one and have gained weight despite being unable to eat much. This pregnancy I can only tolerate junk food so far. Everything else makes me want to toss my cookies. I'm still taking my daily vitamins but I'm looking forward to the day when I can watch my diet and eat healthier, although that still probably won't help me with the weight gain. I've gained 57 lbs with my first, 52 lbs with my second and 65 lbs with my third. I found out at 9 weeks that I had already gained 6 lbs. :(

Hi, gals. I'm coming up on 8 weeks and have somehow managed to gain a pound a week. My MS has been terrible. All I can manage to eat is bread, potatoes, and cheese on toast, and I have to eat frequently to keep sickness at bay. I don't have any vomiting (a small blessing) but the nausea is relentless and I have no energy to exercise. I'm just napping and eating carbs! :cry:

I've struggled with my weight my whole life and managed to get to a somewhat healthy weight after having my son, but still at the top end of a healthy BMI. I gained SO much weight with him and was so determined to keep it under control with this baby. But I've already gained more that twice what I gained with my son by the end of the first trimester with him! I want to cry. I'm so angry with myself. My self esteem has gone out the window.

Hun, don't beat yourself up. I agree with the other ladies, first trimester is all about survival. I have had horrible morning sickness with this pregnancy, I've never had it before, and omg some days I've been unable to function. I have to eat what I can or what I fancy and if that is carbs or stuff that isn't quite weight friendly then tough! You look after yourself and know so many of us are in the same boat. I am nearly 14 weeks pregnant (4th pregnancy 2nd child) but I have a blatant bump I look about 5 months, people keep asking if there is two in there lol and there isn't! Your body is doing an incredible job or growing your beautiful baby, embrace it xxxxx

Thanks for the support. I just want to be healthy and do right by my baby and myself.

I've discovered that I can handle sliced apple with some peanut butter! So I'm going to aim to snack on that.

I could have written this post. I can't believe how big I am already. I'm eating to survive and just not moving.
When 2nd tri arrives I'm praying I will feel bit better and become more active. We can do this! X

I could have written this post. I can't believe how big I am already. I'm eating to survive and just not moving.
When 2nd tri arrives I'm praying I will feel bit better and become more active. We can do this! X

It's frustrating, isn't it?! Feel free to get in touch if you want a buddy.

I've gained 7lbs so far this is my 5th baby 9th pregnancy and I'm 13 weeks .
I really just don't want to get fat :(

I feel your pain :( I've put on 4kg since finding out at 3.5 weeks. I don't even feel that sick, though I have had lots of food aversions. My diet hasn't drastically changed in truth, but I've put on all this weight somehow. I've read your metabolism changes during first tri and your digestion slows down to get more nutrients (and I suppose calories) out of your food. Maybe this explains it too I'm feeling really down about it. With my other two kids, my body basically didn't change up until around 20 weeks. At this rate though, I'm going to be massive by 20 weeks this time around. I too have always struggled with my weight. I'm not overweight, my usual BMI is the lower end of normal, but when I put on weight, it cripples me (I had an abusive ex who made me so paranoid about my body). So now, I am freaking out. I was already the heavier end of my normal when I got pregnant this time around, and now all this weight gain. I really do feel terrible and feel frustrated that I have to start dieting as I'm putting on all this weight without my diet changing.

I was the same with my first two pregnancies, the only thing that seemed to help with the constant nausea was snacking constantly, and all I wanted were carby things like crackers, buttered toast, crisps, the second time I had gained over a stone by 12 weeks if I remember correctly (I didn't weigh myself with my first until the end) I gained a shocking amount in both pregnancies.
This time around I've been avoiding sugar and carbs but also taking magnesium (to help prevent migraines) It could just be a coincidence but my nausea was A LOT better this time, which in turn helped me not snack so much to keep it at bay, and I'm currently weighing less now at 20 weeks than I did pre-pregnancy with my other two. That's probably not very helpful if all you can stomach is carby stuff, but I found things like oxo cubes mixed with hot water and a bit of cream and sugar free jelly really helped when I needed something in my stomach that wasn't full of sugar.

Try not to beat yourself up, gaining loads sucks but in the long run you have to think about you and your baby and getting through the first tri, it might be tough but you can lose the weight again later :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->