huh FOLIC ACID??

Zebra Stars

3RD Trimester
Reaction score
i can't see a midwife until january so ill be like 9 weeks then & a friend of my OH told him i should be taking foli acid for the baby, but i went to boots today & there was soooooo many, can i have any folic acid i or is there any requirements??

HELP!!

get prenatal vitamins and keep taking them dont stop even when people say to stop at 12 weeks keep taking them they help with ur vitamin intake

Hi!
Rather than just taking a folic acid pill, if you pop into your chemist you should be able to find some good Pre-natal vitamins easily. Your Pharmacist can always help you choose one, too. They're very helpful!

You should be getting between 600 - 800 mcg of folic acid per day to help prevent neural defects.

I am taking pre-natal vitamins that give me 800mcg of folic acid in conjunction with a bunch of other beneficial vitamins and minerals.

If you get a prenatel vitamin it should have folic acid in it. I take extra folic acid with my prenatels.

My DR told me I didn't need to take folic acid because my prenatal has the amount I need in it. Plus if you are eating lots of dark green veggies with the prenatal, you should be fine.

i didnt bother taking it, was a very personal decsion for me i had my reasons, dont worry that you havnt taken it x

im the same, wont get to se the midwife till after xmas and i will be 12 weeks by then so i wouldnt have any folic acid at all had i not found some i had left over from when i was preg with leyla last year, ive been taking that but once i finish them i will be going onto my pregnacare, im only taking the folic acid now to use them up cos pregnacare are expensive lol

x

You can get it by itself or take it as a prenatal vitamin - I have the tommys ones which are great. If you don't know, Tommys is a charity that basically look into healthy pregnancies, etc - it might be worth going on their website as they offer free books about pregnancy and stuff which might help you until you see your midwife:
https://www.tommys.org/Page.aspx?pid=253

im the same, wont get to se the midwife till after xmas and i will be 12 weeks by then so i wouldnt have any folic acid at all had i not found some i had left over from when i was preg with leyla last year, ive been taking that but once i finish them i will be going onto my pregnacare, im only taking the folic acid now to use them up cos pregnacare are expensive lol

x

I got the pregnacare from Boyes for 99p for 30 tablets - just thought I'd share the info in case anyone else has a Boyes nearby they can pop into

Yep, they are in my prenatals as well as my B complex pill I am taking. I need extra for the two babies!!

It is really important that you take it. Ideally you should have been taking it before now as any neural tube defects are already present once you know you are pregnant.

Hun plz take folic acid it is very important, nip into any chemist and the pharmisist will be able to help:)

Please please take your FA as soon as possible. I've just lost my little girl to a neural tube defect as the docs don't think I absorb the FA well. As Tegan's mamma says, this key development happens at just 26dpo. xxx

The recommendation is that you take 400mcg of folic acid every day in tablet form for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and preferrably 12 before getting pregnant. Don't worry that you haven't done that, just get yourself some pills from the pharmacy and start taking one a day right away. If you have any questions or are confused by the amount on offer (there are soooo many so it's understandable), just ask your pharmacist, they should be happy to help. :)

Tesco also do a good pregnancy multi vit with folic acid in and it can be taken througout pg, it's on 3 for 2 at the moment and much cheaper than some of the branded ones and has the ingredients you need. Just in my own opinion I think it's important you start taking it, don't get yourself stressed tho. Oh and congrats on your :bfp:

Hi,

You can get the Folic Acid from your doctors on prescription, I didnt even have to see my doc I just asked for it over the phone. I didn't have my NHS prescription excemption certificate at the time but didnt have to pay at the chemist because he said it was proof enough that the doctor had prescribed it that I was pregnant.

Give it a go.

I am taking my folic acid but feel bad as i only took it for 2 weeks before babba was conceived! ( fell quicker then planned) with Jack i was taking it 3 months before i had him.

Since FA is water based, you pee it out anyway. So it doesn't really 'build up' in your body. They say to take it for 3 months before you conceive so you have created a habit, not so you have a storage. I'm sure you'll be fine hun :hugs:

x

I got the pregnacare from Boyes for 99p for 30 tablets - just thought I'd share the info in case anyone else has a Boyes nearby they can pop into

ooh youre from darlo! me too but i live in liverpool now and we dont have a boyes here :nope:

will stock up next time im home though

x

Since FA is water based, you pee it out anyway. So it doesn't really 'build up' in your body. They say to take it for 3 months before you conceive so you have created a habit, not so you have a storage. I'm sure you'll be fine hun :hugs:

Thank you lovey! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->