huh FOLIC ACID??

I have been taking both prenatal vitamins as well as folic acid. My Dr said the FA can stop at 3months. My understanding is if you take too much your body will pee out the excess.

I have been taking both prenatal vitamins as well as folic acid. My Dr said the FA can stop at 3months. My understanding is if you take too much your body will pee out the excess.

Your body will pee it out regardless, unless it is being used by a fetus.

Hey hun. I just don't want you to worry that you haven't been taking it yet - you are still very early in your pregnancy, so just get hold of some and start taking it, but don't fret that you haven't been taking it.

I only started taking mine when I discovered I was pregnant. I have stopped now, as the medical advice I had said it doesn't make any difference if you take it after 12 weeks really.

It is 400mg a day that you need - this is what is contained in most FA pills.

i didnt bother taking it, was a very personal decsion for me i had my reasons, dont worry that you havnt taken it x

What were your reasons out of curiosity? I'm very concerned.

I was also wondering why you wouldn't - i'm not judging until i hear facts but im struggling to think why you wouldnt take FA

I was also wondering why you wouldn't - i'm not judging until i hear facts but im struggling to think why you wouldnt take FA

I am also curious but I agree we shouldn't judge if we don't know why. I know too much folic acid has been linked to increasing chances of certain cancers so if women feel they already have enough FA in their diet then it may be a personal choice not to take a supplement and not because they are risking their child's health.

In response to the op I didn't know I was pregnant until 5 weeks and hadn't been taken supplements. I'm not too worried as I eat alot of leafy green veg and cereals with folic acid in as well as the bread I have. Even if you were lacking folic acid it is still very unlikely you will have caused any harm to your baby. I started taking it once I found out 400mg a day but I stopped at 12w xxxxx

I am also curious but I agree we shouldn't judge if we don't know why. I know too much folic acid has been linked to increasing chances of certain cancers so if women feel they already have enough FA in their diet then it may be a personal choice not to take a supplement and not because they are risking their child's health.

In response to the op I didn't know I was pregnant until 5 weeks and hadn't been taken supplements. I'm not too worried as I eat alot of leafy green veg and cereals with folic acid in as well as the bread I have. Even if you were lacking folic acid it is still very unlikely you will have caused any harm to your baby. I started taking it once I found out 400mg a day but I stopped at 12w xxxxx

Well not really - it is virtually impossible to get enough FA from your diet unless you are eating a hell of a lot of veg that contains it, which most people don't. I know quite a few women who have eaten a lot of leafy green veg and fruits that contain FA but still had a child with an NTD. I took an FA supplement, just the lower dose because I was unaware too, but my daughter still has SB. BUT the FA saved her life - her SB is so severe that it is more or less certain that if I hadn't taken it she wouldn't have lived at all.

So how much is too much? My Dr put me on high dose FA due to my past. 5mg which is 5000mcg.(I know normal is 400mcg) So I stopped taking my prenatal multivitamin as it has extra 600mcg which I was worried about. So how much is too much? What are the side effects? I not seen prenatal without FA...?? What should I do?

You are on the exact right dose. 5mg is the highest safe dose. I am not sure what you should do about other prenatals. I would ask your doctor.

Folic acid feeds cancer and other sorts of tumours, thats why people with cancer can respond well by using green tea, it binds with folic acid and stops feeding the cancers. You can ovedose on folic acid, but its rare. The side effects are small and most are reversable without any on going side effects. The most harmful effect is for people who have heart problems, too much can cause a heart attack, but most of us wouldnt hopefully be at that stage. The main thing it can do if you take too much in pregnancy is mask a B12 defeciency and deplete your zinc levels, but we are talking more than 1000 mcg taken daily over a long period of time, so its safe to say what we take whilst ttcing and being preg is pretty safe for us. I didnt take it till after I found out I was pregnant with my first, its wasnt a big issue back then over 15 years ago and she turned out fine. Just start the recommended does now preferably one with iodine in it for healthy brain development as well. Have a healthy and happy remainder of you pregnancy hun!:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->