Human pacifier :(

Salt Air

Reaction score
Ok so after a really great morning this afternoon has gone downhill & LO is screaming apart from if I put him to my breast to suckle. I am exhausted & it's uncomfortable but I don't know what else to do.
I expressed this morning (with the idea I'd get to have a break tonight, ha!) & just tried giving him that but he just screamed again every minute or two, then as soon as I put him on the breast he's quiet.
This seems to happen every few days & always when im on my own. I just want a break!
Anyone else dealing with this, or got any tips? :(

how old is he? unfortunately it really is usually normal. my LO did this for a lot of the time.

I did give her a pacifier around 4 weeks, didn't cause any problems with her latch or anything.

how old is he? unfortunately it really is usually normal. my LO did this for a lot of the time.

I did give her a pacifier around 4 weeks, didn't cause any problems with her latch or anything.

Sorry, should have said, he's 5 & a half weeks. (Need to sort my signature out again!)

We go give him a pacifier sometimes but when he's like this it is not good enough for him!

it could also be clusterfeeding. at 6 weeks my LO basically fed from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. for a couple nights. she would fall asleep, unlatch and if I tried to move her she would scream again and go back on the boob.

will he let someone else hold him, just so you can get a few minutes free?

Ok so after a really great morning this afternoon has gone downhill & LO is screaming apart from if I put him to my breast to suckle. I am exhausted & it's uncomfortable but I don't know what else to do.
I expressed this morning (with the idea I'd get to have a break tonight, ha!) & just tried giving him that but he just screamed again every minute or two, then as soon as I put him on the breast he's quiet.
This seems to happen every few days & always when im on my own. I just want a break!
Anyone else dealing with this, or got any tips? :(

Only thing I can say is remember it's only temporary! I remember a point when that was all Violet wanted. Nowadays, however, if she isn't hungry, she might cry if the boob is offered! It's only temporary. Keep up the good work. Maybe you have a baby who will take a pacifier? On the bright side, it's great for your milk supply!

Six week growth spurt probably, mixed in with normal newborn behaviour. Just let him on the breast whenever he wants, it'll pass in no time. :)

I agree with the other posters, probably a growth spurt. It really isn't fun, but I promise it gets better!

Thanks everyone, I guess it's just learn to put up with it for now then!

will he let someone else hold him, just so you can get a few minutes free?

Yeah, he will calm for a while at least if his daddy holds him & sings to him, but this always seems to be at its worst when I'm on my own. It's like he knows! ;)

I am starting to go through the same thing. DD2 is on me from about 8pm to 1am non stops. By 10pm I am in agony and I know I am empty but she just keeps sucking away. I know it isnt feeding, more or less just a pacifier for her. Tried giving her a real one and she takes two sucks and spits it out :)

I am starting to go through the same thing. DD2 is on me from about 8pm to 1am non stops. By 10pm I am in agony and I know I am empty but she just keeps sucking away. I know it isnt feeding, more or less just a pacifier for her. Tried giving her a real one and she takes two sucks and spits it out :)

On the bright side you will have a fantastic milk supply :)

Well she feeds off of me about 8 times a day and i can still express out anywhere from 5-10oz throughout the day too

I am a human pacifier for my DS too. I've tried introducing 3 different brands of pacifiers but he is just not interested in them. I did read not to give up on the pacifiers because he may be more accepting of them when he gets older so I keep trying them. Also have you tried offering your LO a finger to suck on. This is one thing that works for DS when he just wants to comfort suck. Just make sure you wash your hands first.

My 9 week old will just get herself really cross and wound up with tiredness. The only way she will fall asleep (day or night) is sucking and rocking. It's either a boob or a pinky finger. I've tried 2 different types of dummy, but she isn't having any of it!

Funny how I was really anti dummies with my previous two babies and now I'd love for this one to take one :haha:

I'm still a pacifier at 12 months in! My LO much prefers breast over solids or bottles and is still nursed 95% of the time. He wakes up atleast 3-4 times a night usually just wanting his paci back and a minute later hes knocked right back out. In the beginning six months seemed like such a hard feat, 12 months didn't even cross my mind.. now I see no end in sight!

Awww well at least I know I'm not the only one! It's really exhausting isn't it? I'm going to try the pinky finger again next time - I tried it once but it didn't work, but maybe if I keep trying...

Whilst it seems unlikely when you just fed your baby five minutes ago, don't assume they are not hungry again. When they are that little they will have growth spurts and be hungry all day long. The constant feeding helps encourage your milk supply so that you can support their growing needs. The quickest way to get through a growth spurt is to feed as much as possible. If you offer too much substitute (dummies/pacifier, bottle, daddy cuddles etc), it will take longer for your supply to increase and the frequent feeding will last longer.

If you can dedicate a day to lying on the sofa/bed and just feed, feed, feed you might find that once they get through it their stomach is larger (and your supply has increased) so they can go a longer stretch without milk at night.

But yes, definitely exhausting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"