Husband is angry with me..

Cheyanne

Reaction score
Our daughter Kassidy turned 11 in March. She's been begging me to drop her and a few friends at the movie. For months, I've said, "NO!" Well, I finally agreed, along with the other moms and dropped them to see Evan Almighty (G rated) and my husband was furious. It's not like she went alone or with a boy..she's with a large group of young ladies whose families we know very well..they're all neighbors. They all have cell phones, and I know the manager of the theater. They were given a long speech about being responsible, safety and all the warnings. I even went so far as to say, "make sure you sit beside a group of women or mom with kids." He thinks I'm letting her experience things too early, but what is the right age?

Well It sounds like you had all your bases covered......

You have to let them start doing things for themselves at some point,

She is in a large group, h a ell and got dropped off and picked up!

sounds to me like your OH doesn't want to let his little girl grow up thats all!

xxx

I don't see a problem with her going to the movies with her friends. There are a lot of lessons involved in doing that which are valuable to both your daughter and family as a whole. It will teach her to be respectful in public even when you are not around, teach her to have some form of responsibility etc.

I think that your hubby is just being a lil overprotective and doesnt want to admit that his little girl is growing up. As long as she was with a group of friends, was dropped off and picked up i dont see the problem. She has to learn to be responsible at some point and what better way than letting her have a little bit of freedom.

I don't think you did anyting wrong personally.....you need to let them experience things and start to get some independence!

My sister's step daughter is 12, but she has been allowed to walk to and from school alone, go out shopping with friends and go to the cinema for the past year, and she is a resposible kid, and she knows very well that if she breaks the rules or lets herself down, her independence will be taken away from her!

It is all part of growing up, I remember at a young age wanting to be older than I was, as I wanted to do things........we all have to start somewhere, and it sounds like you made very sure your daughter was as safe as possible. If you don't start letting them have idependence and go out with mates, it can make life very miserable for them! Your Hubby needs to find away to compromise and let his little girl start to grow up a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I am dreading it all happening with Jade, and I know Paul will be a nightmare, but we have to let them start to grow up at some point, we dont want them not to have ANY life skills as they get much older!

I hope she had a good time babe! x

my dad started letting me go to the corner shop when i was 9 i thinks its good for them to be a little street wise and if u know they are sensible then y not at 11 she be going to big school soon so wont be far off going out with her friends i guess i think dad r over protective though i live directly opposite a shop and crossed amber over the rd and even stood on doorstep for her to come bk shes 7 very sensible and her dad even moaned at that i was even watching her from the doorstep hate to think what he will be like when she has to walk to secondary school on her own in another 4-5 yrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->