HV is coming tomorrow for a home visit?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by bbyno1, Nov 17, 2011.

1. bbyno1

bbyno1 Well-Known Member

So i got a phone call from my local clinic,from the health visitor. She said as im new to the area she wants to come and introduce herself? and tell me all about the services they have to offer?

Well im not THAT new. Been here nearly a year now..
    I take Aliyah baby group twice a week and get her weighed every month,so i have seen most the health visitors..Also signed up to get the monthly news letter.

Anyway im sort of getting paranoid..

Aliyah had quite a bad acident 2 weeks ago. She fell with the bottle in her mouth and her teeth were literally hanging out,blood everywhere and gums were broken. I took her to the hospital straight away where they have obv made note of this...

The health visitor asked straight away 'is Aliyah ok?' that sentance has kinda got me worried.Has anyone else had this before when moving area?

Worrying now that because of the accident they wanna come round :/

2. mrsraggle

mrsraggle Wifey & Mummy

I don't know for sure, but I think HVs are informed by the hospital after any child incidents. I know my cousins LO split a mug of hot tea on himself so they took him to the hospital and the HV "popped in" a short while after. I suppose they just want to make sure all is well.

It may not necessarily be the case though and you have nothing to worry about; kids have accidents but I suspect after the cases in the news they're trying to be more thorough these days.

3. RachA

RachA Well-Known Member

Every time you take your child to the hospital they inform the HV of this. I have had the HV phone several times (i have 2 children to double the fun!) following visits to a&e. Very nerve racking to quite honestly its never been anything more than 'hi, heard about the a&e visit, is everything ok now'
    I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. I think it's quite nice they are prepared to come and see you rather than just phone up.

4. ~RedLily~

~RedLily~ Well-Known Member

I don't think it's anything to worry about.
    They sometimes like to check see everything is ok after an accident and also to introduce themselves properly when you're pregnant. They have probably decided to just put the two together.
    I hope Aliyah is ok now x

5. going_crazy

going_crazy Still learning.....!

As others have said, everytime you take your child to a&e, they notify your HV and they have to follow it up - it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong and it doesn't mean they have any suspicions or anything, they are just following the guidelines and giving a follow up phone call/visit.

I took my LO to a&e one night and they wanted to keep her in overnight with suspected heart failure, but I ended up discharging her as I knew she was fine (long story). Anyway, the HV called me the following week and wanted to do a visit, but I told her I wasn't interested in her visiting me as she was usless (another long story). Not heard from her since!

I hope Aliyah is ok now :hugs:

Sorry, just read back and that turned into a mini rant. Sorry :flow:

6. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

The HV probably got the referal from the hospital and thought "ah crap, I've not even met this family. Better get my arse into gear and go and see them". ...or words to that effect. She probably feeling a bit guilty that you have been here a year and she hasn't even made contact.

7. louisiana

louisiana mummy and ttc#2

try not to worry it sounds like its just protocol because of the accident-and we all know toddlers have them.
    is there anyway u could have a friend with u at the time cause i know it can feel a bit scary if ur by urself

8. JASMAK

JASMAK Mom of three

I would try not to worry too! But, I am pretty sure you can say NO too. :)

9. Feltzy

Feltzy Well-Known Member

I took Alfie to a&e about 6 months ago when he knocked his front tooth into his gums and I had a visit from the HV a couple of weeks later. I didn't even get a warning she just turned up. She did say not to worry as its procedure for a HV to do a home visit after a child has been into a&e.

10. Gingerspice

Gingerspice Well-Known Member

Each time we've been to hospital with LO we've had the HV ring up for a chat. Its just procedure

11. pinktaffy

pinktaffy Well-Known Member

its just normal hun. its just a chance for u to show off your toddler anyway hehe. wouldnt worry about it u will prob not see her again when she see shes happy and fine.

when my little girl fell over and cut her lip i took her the hosptil she was about 11 months the dr said the hv would prob visit but she didnt ever come cos i knew my mw and my dr's know me well so new nothing was wrong so just left me. ive lived in the same house for 16 years and my dr's is just around the corner so i know them by name lol.
    but if u have only lived there a year they prob just wanna check up.

12. minties

minties Complete

What??? I would think that was an extreme breach of privacy, informing an HV like that? Sure, inform the police or social services if they think it's that bad, but a bloody public health nurse nosey bitch type person - I would be FUMING!

13. going_crazy

I think I would be more fuming if the police or social services were informed over a minor incident...... It's just the way things work over here, and it is because there have been things like Baby P where abused children have slipped through various healthcare professionals because things were never followed up.

The Health Visitor isn't a bad person (for most mums anyway!) :flow:

14. pinktaffy

pinktaffy Well-Known Member

i think i would sooner a health visiter than social services or police lol then i would probly be worried sick.

i do think it is good to inform the health visiter or dr just to be on the safe side cos of the whole baby p thing and stuff they r just being more safe

15. minties

minties Complete

Aren't they just a helpful service though, rather than a legal body with rights to know that sort of thing?

16. going_crazy

Although I am unsure about them being a 'legal body' as such, I do know that they work very closely with gp's, social workers etc and they have a say in things like whether they feel a child is "at risk" or not. Every child gets a health visitor, but the mum can choose whether or not to see her, although in cases like a&e visits, I think the HV will always call/visit and if the mum refuses, they may put the case over to social services, depending on the extent of the situation IYKWIM?

Health visitors are seen as a "friendly face" (for most mums), and someone who can offer advice and help them through tough parenting situations, yet Social Services are seen (from what I know) as the people who deal with taking children away from families (because of abuse, suspected abuse, neglect etc)

I, personally, don't like my HV and as I said in my previous post, I pretty much told her where to go!

Not sure if I explained it clearly!! :haha:

17. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

I think it is routine for them to inform the HV after any hospital visit. Mine rang me after i had been to hospital for a jaundice blood test with george when he was very little. I was actually referred there by the midwife so it wasn't even a trip to A&E.

18. Aunty E

Aunty E Mummy to Mog and Teddy

The health visitor rang both times I took Teddy to a and e (once for a fall, once for a bite) and she made me take teddy to the poxy clinic, I wouldn't have minded a home visit! I did think about telling her to bog off, but I figured if I jumped through her hoop they'd leave me alone again. I hate health visitors ;)

19. JASMAK

JASMAK Mom of three

I kind of feel the same way. I mean, I know that's 'the way' it is over there, but here, if someone did that...it would be a huge breach of privacy....and we don't have HV here, but we have health nurses, who do injections and well-baby visits (in the clinic, not our homes) and I have told them not to phone because I don't need their advice. But, if one of them gave me a call after my daughter broke her arm, I would have told her where to go, politely, of course. But, that isn't how it is here, so...

20. bbyno1

bbyno1 Well-Known Member

Thanks girls.
    She came and was really nice! She said her A&E trip had just brought the fact we were 'new' to her attention. She said she felt bad she hadn't come and said hello earlier..She was pleased with Aliyah and said i wouldn't see her again until after the new baby is born. She will do the hearing test etc..