HV told me to get rid of them?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by DextersMummy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. DextersMummy

DextersMummy Well-Known Member

Hi my HV told me that when my LO has hiccups to put him on the breast to get rid of them as it will make him take in more wind yet on this website https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/wind/ it says For some babies, hiccupping seems to be the only way to get rid of wind.....OMG so does that mean I have been in fact making the matter worse?

2. charli87

charli87 Chloes Mummy

i havent heard of feeding more to get rid of hicups:shrug: but it could be the case sorry hun im not help lol!

3. 2016

2016 Mummy and Preggo with #2!

I normally offer the breast for hiccups cos I find LO swallows more wind and/or spits up. But every baby is different so just try different ways and see what works best.

4. littlestar85

littlestar85 Wife and mother

When LO was teeny I found that feeding was tthe only way to get rid of hiccups and have done it ever since! He's never gassy afterwards so I doubt it makes wind problems worse. Just burp LO after to be sure I guess

5. sazza

sazza Well-Known Member

I found feeding helped too. :) x

6. Nervous_1

Nervous_1 Well-Known Member

my LO feeds while having hiccups! Doesn't seem to work in his case :haha: he takes after his mum though and will have hiccups for hours!

7. whoops

whoops Just me and my LO

Feeding helps my LO too but she usually only gets hiccups after a feed when she won't take any more.

8. Sazaroo

Sazaroo Well-Known Member

I was told to feed to get rid of hiccups too, by my MW x

9. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

I was also told this by a MW and I always feed to get rid if them. As far as I know hiccups don't bring up wind so not sure it would make a difference?

10. Bingo

Bingo Well-Known Member

Unless hiccups are bothering him I would just let them run their course. My LO has had hiccups lots every day since birth. Now that she's older I immitate her and she finds it really funny.

11. Princess86

Princess86 Well-Known Member

Yeah I found that worked too.

12. Gen79

Gen79 Well-Known Member

I feed her to get rid of them just because I know how annoying they are to me when I have them. Never noticed anything to do with wind.

13. bigbetty

bigbetty Mammam to a princess

Hiccups occur when the muscles in your diaphragm go into spasm and that causes you to take those little gasps of air. Babies get them alot because their muscles are so weak and as they grow and get stronger the bouts of hiccups get less and less.

There isn't really anything you can do to stop them, it's just a case of waiting until the muscles calm themselves down xx