HV told me to get rid of them?

DextersMummy

Reaction score
Hi my HV told me that when my LO has hiccups to put him on the breast to get rid of them as it will make him take in more wind yet on this website https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/wind/ it says For some babies, hiccupping seems to be the only way to get rid of wind.....OMG so does that mean I have been in fact making the matter worse?

i havent heard of feeding more to get rid of hicups:shrug: but it could be the case sorry hun im not help lol!

I normally offer the breast for hiccups cos I find LO swallows more wind and/or spits up. But every baby is different so just try different ways and see what works best.

When LO was teeny I found that feeding was tthe only way to get rid of hiccups and have done it ever since! He's never gassy afterwards so I doubt it makes wind problems worse. Just burp LO after to be sure I guess

I found feeding helped too. :) x

my LO feeds while having hiccups! Doesn't seem to work in his case :haha: he takes after his mum though and will have hiccups for hours!

Feeding helps my LO too but she usually only gets hiccups after a feed when she won't take any more.

I was told to feed to get rid of hiccups too, by my MW x

I was also told this by a MW and I always feed to get rid if them. As far as I know hiccups don't bring up wind so not sure it would make a difference?

Unless hiccups are bothering him I would just let them run their course. My LO has had hiccups lots every day since birth. Now that she's older I immitate her and she finds it really funny.

I feed her to get rid of them just because I know how annoying they are to me when I have them. Never noticed anything to do with wind.

Hiccups occur when the muscles in your diaphragm go into spasm and that causes you to take those little gasps of air. Babies get them alot because their muscles are so weak and as they grow and get stronger the bouts of hiccups get less and less.

There isn't really anything you can do to stop them, it's just a case of waiting until the muscles calm themselves down xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->