Hyperemesis affect labour/birth?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Amelia Pond, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Amelia Pond

Amelia Pond Well-Known Member

I have suffered from pretty bad hyperemesis from week 5 of this pregnancy, I am still taking ondansetron. I have been in and out of hospital and some days can hardly lift my head off the pillow....infact only 2 days ago (TMI) I was sick all over myself because I couldn't move quick enough! And it has got me worried that I am going to have no stamina when it comes to labour. I get tired out so easily as I have spent most of this pregnancy in bed!! How am I going to push this baby out? I had hyperemesis with my last pregnancies, but the sickness cleared up around 16 weeks.....this time I think it is here to stay. Has anyone out there had bad hyperemesis right up to birth and managed fine or was it a stuggle?

I am also waiting for the results of my GD glucose test, it has been a week since I had the test and I haven't heard anything yet.....If I do have GD I feel this will just put the tin lid on this pregnancy!!! .....God I am a moan today.

Posted this in complications forum too.

2. Gems89

Gems89 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will be much help as mine was no where near this bad, I had sickness the whole way through with my DS but usually wore off by lunch time and came back if I got too tired in the evenings.

I managed to give birth normally, all be it vomiting the whole way through my labour! Just make sure you have plenty of those paper kidney dishes to hand!

Can they not discuss an early induction for you, that way you know when its coming and can rest as much as possible before hand?

I really hope it wears off for you before then, I take it you have exhausted all the prescribed options of anti-sickness?

3. tink30

tink30 Well-Known Member

i sympathise ive been off work since week 10 since terrible hypermesis.. and im diabetic.. today found out i need iron tablets.. can only get better hun :) it will vanish as soon as they arrive xx

4. roseyblossom

roseyblossom Pregnant with #2

I have no idea if it will affect the birth, but as far as im concerned it shouldn't do so. I've suffered from hyperemesis and was on Zofran too but mines not as bad as yours. I'm nauseous all day and might get sick every now and then even now but its not that bad. I hope you start to feel better soon :hugs:

5. Amelia Pond

Yes, tried most medications and to be honest the one I am on, ondansetron, has been the best. I am just weak and have no stamina.... I just want enough strength for the birth...

6. jl.

jl. Well-Known Member

I'm terrified of the same thing - hyperemesis since week 9 - I've had to take early maternity leave because i'm shattered by 11am - can't deal with sitting staring at a computer screen.

I'm now on anti-depressants because my hyperemesis has gotten me so down - i've hardly left the house my whole pregnancy :(

I feel for you - I'm so glad i'm not the only one still stuffering and on medication at 33 weeks.

Hope you all feel better :flower:

7. FiNZ

FiNZ Lucky mum of 4 darlings!

Oh no, big hugs to you. I'm so sorry. I have had sickness and vomiting and fatigue for the last 2.5 weeks and it's just awful, so I can't imagine how you must feel. I do think that when labour starts, your adrenaline will kick in and somehow you'll find the energy you'll need. Can you eat to build your strength up while you're under the influence of the anti-nausea tablets? I have gone off so much food lately, but I can drink milk (flavoured or just regular) and have just discovered tuna sandwiches stay down (so hope this doesn't make your stomach turn while you're reading this!). Or smoothies with berries might help you? I hate everything else!

Good luck and I hope so much you feel better soon. xxx

8. AshleyNichole

AshleyNichole mommy to 2 boys!

I had the same thing with my son, and was on Zofran and honestly it really didn't do anything for me...but I managed to labor although i was completely drained, you will be amazed how quick the hormone drops right after delivery, I do remember I didn't feel 100% better right after, but felt better enough that I was not vomiting, just nauseous.

9. Amelia Pond

I know how you feel, it has left me so low and down.... I can't walk to the local shop without stopping to be sick. I used to give myself milestones....'it will be gone by 16 weeks' then it was '20 weeks' and then '24 weeks'. I have now given up hope!

10. jl.

jl. Well-Known Member

I did the same! or when people say to you "have you tried ginger biscuits"
    UNLESS IT IS A MAGIC GINGER BISCUIT - IT AINT GONNA DO ANY GOOD! I live off cereal - when i can stomach the milk. cereal and toast are all i can handle at the best of times. It's a nightmare!
    Im on stemetil - two in the morning and two at night.

11. Amelia Pond

I know! I want to shove their ginger biscuits up their arse! :)

12. Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

I had hypermesis with Charlie and managed fine in the birth. Knackered after though!!! I'd talk it over with your mw hun if you're worried x