Hyperemesis Gravidarum - How do I know when it's not just 'morning sickness'?

I was admitted to hospital at 7 weeks and kept in hospital for 3 days I called the doctor a week before I was admitted and given 10mg of metoclopramide and desolvble tablets but they dident help at all :( I got to the point where if I was not being sick I was sleeping all day and night I couldn't even stand up stright I left it for over 2 weeks thinking it was normal I lost 7+ lbs I couldn't keep food or water down so I asked a few friends and family members if there sickness was this bad and they all said they was only sick a few times but I was feeling very dizzy and sick and wasent aware much at all I called 111 and he got me a emergency appointment at the hospital ( A&E ) where he tested my urine and I had alote of ketones in my urine so he sent me stright to another hospital where I was admitted and put on drips and lots of other stuff also had emergency scan I'm now on Cyclizine 50mg 3x a day and there helping me loads I still have my off days but I'm much better then I was I was given a leaflet on HG witch was helpful.

If you can't keep anything down even just water get to your doctor ASAP don't leave it as long as I did I had never felt so ill in my life x

I'm so sorry missbx. I am glad the cyclizine is helping. Its horrible, I know.

Lots of sick ladies out here today. Please use this post to compare your symptoms against morning sickness, find resources and help you. I am praying for you, hg warriors.

LadyHutch I really hope you are doing ok.

As for me, I feel utterly miserable. I've been back in hospital twice. The zofran doesn't work, I still feel dreadful all the time and am vomiting at least 4 times a day. I'm going to see my GP in the morning and worried that they might send me back to work. I can only just walk from the couch to the bathroom :(

This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Oh button, I'm so sorry. That was me a few weeks ago and I know that feeling! I was sure I wouldn't make it through this pregnancy. It is still hard every day, but at least I can move around and eat a bit now. How often do you take the zofran? You have to make sure you take it every 6 hrs at first. I still do, but I skip the night dose now, so I only take 3, not 4/day. Because I was so sick, it took a good week to start feeling a bit better on it. I don't think i was fully hydrated for about 2 weeks. I have to force myself to eat every few hours because if I don't, I feel even sicker...and I'm never hungry, so it's hard.

Also, I have a guided imagery mp3 that helps a lot. I got it on amazon - guided imagery for nausea. It is breathing exercises (breathe in through your nose and out through pursed lips, I do a count of 5 in and out), plus it leads you through images. It really does help. I had a bad nausea day at work yesterday and did the breathing and imagery for just 2 mins or so and felt so much better.

I hope you find something that works for you! First step is to get yourself hydrated...that will help. Maybe you need home health IV?

Thanks DD80, I was just having a really bad day I think! Felt a little bit better today and this morning, so fingers crossed it is starting to ease. I'm taking zofran every 8 hours, but will speak to my doctor about upping it to every 6 hours if necessary x

Thanks DD80, I was just having a really bad day I think! Felt a little bit better today and this morning, so fingers crossed it is starting to ease. I'm taking zofran every 8 hours, but will speak to my doctor about upping it to every 6 hours if necessary x

My rx bottle said to take every 6-8 hours if needed...I assumed they all did. Definitely check with your dr then. Feel better! :flower:

Zofran helps me....it stops the vomiting mostly, but does absolutely nothing for the nausea at all, which for me, is the worst part of all this. The vomiting sucks, a lot, but the crippling nausea....oh man, that is what is killing me most. It is what keeps me from eating, keeps me from moving off the couch, keeps me dehydrated, keeps me miserable.

Diclegis has cut the nausea ever so little. But really nothing touches it.

There are some other meds you an try...compazine, metoclopromide, phenergan.

I had HG with number one, but there's hope, ladies, because I didn't with two and three.

Even rolling over in bed made me vomit. I couldn't eat or drink anything. I went into ketosis and STANK... My urine was dark brown. In retrospect, I probably warranted hospital admission, but I just couldn't move from my bed. I remember going for a scan at nine weeks, and being sick into a lunchbox on the way home, because I couldn't handle the water I'd needed for the scan.

Hey I just went searching for intense ms and came across this post. Thank you for posting this! I scared dh so bad this weekend he thought he was going to lose me and/or the baby. I'm currently on diclegis and zofran, and it does stop the vomiting for the most part (if I don't take it I'm throwing up at least twice/hour if not more and is just bile and stomach acid). Dh is actually the one who asked for something for it at our appointment...I thought it was just morning sickness. This is my first normal pregnancy so I didn't know any different.
What's worse is that I work at a health foods store and everyone thinks ginger can relieve any kind if morning sickness, when in fact it does NOTHING!!! And then condemn me for using man-made chemical medications. I can't eat or drink without these medications! Water is the worst! Sometimes I wish people would mind their own damn business and only give opinions when asked for them.

Sorry for the rant! And again, thank you for the post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->