Hypnobirthing and positive labour stories please!

red_head

Reaction score
Hi all
I’m lucky enough to be in my third trimester and looking forward to meeting my little dude :) I’d love to hear some positive birth stories, especially any that involve hypnobirthing? I’m hoping to use the techniques for my birth in January x

I didn’t use hypnobirthing but went to a great pregnancy yoga birth prep group which a lot of focus was on staying in the here and now. Focus on that moment, breathe and be in the zone. Don’t forward think etc. Take each contraction at a time and recover during the break and not focus on the next one coming.

I also read the positive birth book which I liked (majority of it-some bits weren’t for me but majority was great) and decided I’d try to be at home for as long as I could for all the good labour hormones being at home brings and all the research showing those home hormones help progress labour.

I had an awesome med-free birth (except a couple of puffs on laughing gas as I pushed). I was at home labouring for around 5 hours. Went in to hospital and DD made her appearance 40 minutes later!

I loved giving birth. Yes it hurt. Yes I tore a little. Yes I physically screamed louder than I thought possible during the pushing- (although I think more of a tension release than due to pain). But I felt powerful and in control of my body. And the pain is a different pain, you know it’s not dangerous, it’s bringing you the best gift. I’m expecting baby#2 in April and I’m already looking forward to giving birth again!

That’s amazing thank you :) it sounds so empowering! I want to stay at home as long as possible too, and I hope to get out of the hospital quickly afterwards if I can.

Yes I think we hear lots of negative birth stories and I was really scared but worked lots on not panicking and not focusing on what was to come but rather what was happening then. But I kind of naturally went into this focused calm zone at the time. I obviously don’t know if that would have happened without all the mental prep so maybe it did work magic! The biggest thing that helped from my yoga class was to imagine a moment you look forward to when baby is here and focus on that and visualise that moment through contractions. Mine was looking up at OH after she was put on my chest and I literally imagined that over and over again through contractions. And it was the best moment when it happened.

I also invested in a tens machine which I used quite a bit at home. Found that helped quite a bit- although not sure if it was more being able to increase the intensity as the contractions which made me feel more in control rather than the act of the tens!

I hope you get the birth you want!

I think what helped me most leading up to my due date was thinking about the fact that I was going to go with the flow. You can't control every aspect of labour and especially if you have never had a baby before you don't know how you are going to handle everything. So I remember thinking that I would love a natural birth but that I was open to having pain medication if I needed it.

My first birth with my son was wonderful. My waters broke around midnight and contractions started quickly afterwards. We went into hospital around 2 am as my contractions were only 2-3 mins apart. Things went pretty quickly and I remember my nurse checking me and saying I was almost ready to push and I remember saying "but I wanted an epidural!" My nurse was great, she assured me that I could do this but the epidural was too late. I ended up having him around 6:30 am and without medication. A nice quick birth for a first baby, I was lucky.

My second birth with my daughter was good too but completely different. My waters broke first again, I was only 36 weeks and 1 day so she was early. Contractions didn't start but we went into the hospital to be checked and found out she was breech. We ended up having a C-section. She was completely healthy but a little small (5lbs 13oz).

My point is that keeping my mind open and knowing I was in control but could ask for help if I needed it was really helpful. Hope your labour goes well too red_head.

I would ask your doula/midwife about a hypnobirthing class. Go to the library and get the book. It's easy to do but you have to practice it.
Im not using it but I looked into it.

My births were positive. Third being the best experience but that was because I had knowledge and knew what I wanted.

I have no experience with hypnobirthing, but with my 2nd I used some relaxation techniques during contractions and it helped me cope so much better.

I would stand and lean on something and rock back and forth during contractions while thinking, “One contraction closer to meeting my baby. I can do anything for 1 minute.” I found that repeating that in my head over and over kept me so much calmer and I coped way better than the first time around, when I had no coping techniques.

I had a fantastic birth with DS2. He was born at home on the sofa, with only a tens machine and 2 paracetamol for pain relief. I'd planned to give birth in the pool but my OH at the time had only just managed to fill it when baby was one contraction away from crowning :dohh: :laugh2:

The midwives arrived at 3.05am and he was born at 3.16am so they had time to get their gloves on and that was it. It was a wonderful experience and I felt very safe and calm throughout.

(I hadn't planned for the midwives to arrive so late- they'd been out to see me at midnight but decided things might take a while so had gone back to the birthing centre, but things progressed quicker than we all expected!)

The contractions were very strong and painful but I found kneeling up and leaning forward against the back of the sofa was very comfortable and I could really feel baby moving lower with each one which helped me feel like the end was in sight. I also absolutely bellowed like a cow (much to my neighbours amusement, I'm sure). I'd read that low sounds rather than high ones are beneficial because you have to relax your muscles rather than tense them, so I mooed my way through my labour! :mamafy::haha:

I didn't actually use natal hypnotherapy during my labour but I'd used it a lot during my pregnancy and I had the music cd on in the background (the one with no talking, just the sounds). I don't know if it helped tbh as I was so in the zone, but it definitely didn't hurt.

Sending you lots of positive labour vibes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->