hypnobirthing question "NO drugs/pain relief"

Zarababy1

4 boys. TTC #5
Reaction score
I'm currently reading a hypnobirthing book, and I've dipped in to birthing the easy way, now what i want to know is when they say NO drugs do they mean gas and air as well? iv only read a little bit of it but from what I've gathered yes they do mean NO gas and air, hey I'm willing to give that a go but for something i relied on so much in my previous labours its a bit of a scary thought!

No drugs does mean no G&A but dont box yourself in. It comes with the MWs so if you want it you can have it! There are no 'rules'.

did you do it with no g & a? from what iv read there's no reason to need it anyway! plus it makes me go funny, but then like you say there's no rules i guess if i go in to it in the mindset that i don't need it and end up doing needing that's much better than going in to it thinking i need it + whatever else they can give me :rofl: even just reading a little bit is making me realise what a huge disappointment harrys birth was!

Yes I used G&A! It's my favourite!! :rofl: I used it for a couple of hours with both Hebe and Sid - I found it focused my breath - then after transition both times I ditched it. I think the second stage is the easy part. 20mins max with both. Now with hindsight what I really needed was a doula to focus my breath - that or a husband who breathed with me until we wanted the MWs there. I think if you can focus on your breathing you will find (like my last 2 clients) that you forget all about G&A and next news you're baby is with you!

yeah i had the g&a mainly for breathing because i was holing my breath but then the 2nd stage i didnt, charlies was lovely i was so relaxed but harrys i was like a woman possessed give me that epidural!!!!! :rofl: they ended up giving me pethadine then obviously 15 mins later he was born i was high as a kite i had no idea what had happend i turned around and looked at him then fell asleep i think! the only thing about the whole thing i was happy with was that i was on all 4's and he slipped out no bother! i dont know what went wrong but id like to work it out so i dont do the same thing again! two totally diffrent labours harrys was longer as well the only thig that was easyer about the whole thing was that i didnt actually push him out!

I've always thought Gas and Air works most for women because like MM said it does in fact focus your breathing. I think what the great thing about Hypno birthing is learning and practicing how to focus my breathing on my own. A lot of women say they took a nice deep breath during their contractions and that really helped. Which by all means I'm sure the gas part did! But I think it's the oxygen getting into your muscles that really worked. I asked about just having a canister of Oxygen. They can't offer it to me, but I personally think this would be the best compromise. It would focus my breathing, and give my uterine muscles lots of great oxygen without having to feel somewhat out of it.

So yes my goal is to not use it. My hypno practitioner was in the pool for 6 hours and never took a puff, she says I can totally do it. So we'll see!

I used gas and air from 8cm to giving birth with my last, i really didnt need it that early to be honest but id started losing control of my breathing so it helped with that, then nearer the birth i was in so much pain i wasnt even taking it in some times i was just biting on it!! lol I do love it though and once its in my hand theres no taking it off me :rofl: i dont remember much and was pretty out of it last time, although that could have been down to having pethadine just 20 mins before he was born..

With my first i only had a bit of gas when id started pushing and he was crowning, then again with the stitches so i do think i could have done that one completely natural if i hadnt panicked so much on last minute.

Although i wont care if i do have it id like to try not use it at all this time, especially if having a doula will help me focus my breathing.. might surprise myself and not need it!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->