Hypothyroidism...kinda worried

Kantny09

Reaction score
So I just got a call from my doctor's office and the nurse was giving me the results of all the blood work and cultures that I did last Friday at my first OB appointment. Turns out I have hypothyroidism. I was never tested for this before so I don't know how long I have had it. So I immediately got on the internet and started doing research. It turns out that women with hypothyroidism are prone to miscarriages...so I am wondering if that is what caused my last two? And also, it says that pregnant women with hypothyroidism who do carry a pregnancy to term have babies who develop slower. Lower IQ and other developmental problems. My doctor sent in a prescription that I am to start taking tomorrow morning to regulate my thyroid levels but I am pretty nervous that the damage has already been done.

When I had my first ultrasound at what should have been 6 weeks I had a gestational sac and a yolk sac so they said I was measuring at 4weeks and 5 days. Could this have been because of my thyroid? Do I still have time to get it on track and have a perfectly healthy pregnancy/baby?

Anyone know anything about this?

I was born with half a thyroid and have had to healthy and very very smart girls so the Iq thing Is definitely wrong but I had a mmc in dec and I wondered if that was my thyroid as I had 3 hen dos my wedding and lots going on and forgot my meds a lot so was wondering if that is why it happened but I'm always bad with my meds fine in the week but as I'm busy on weekends I always forgot them so maybe I did with other pregnancies but this one I have taken th everyday first thing in morning and eaten one hour after I'm being really good so I know I can't blame myself, I think as soon as you get your levels ok you will be fine and I hope that all is fine now xx

Thanks for responding! Sorry about your mmc but congrats on your current pregnancy! I hope everything goes well for both of us!

I am hypo as well and as Long as your monitored and take the medication every day, you and baby should be just fine. I already have one little girl who was a great weight at birth and is very advanced for her age.xx

I am hypo and as soon as u do what doctor says you will have a normal pregnancy. Is normal to be scared but reading the bad things about it will make you even worry more. It is rare that you will have problems once detected and treated. so just enjoy the bundle of joy in you oven and relax :)

Don't google it! I am hypo only during pregnancy, and it wasn't discovered until a few weeks in during my last pregnancy. I started taking the thyroid meds right away, and had to ramp up to a pretty high dose. My son is perfect, and extremely bright for his age.
I started taking meds this pregnancy as soon as I found out, and have been on a lower dose than I was last time. Just stay consistent with the meds and everything will be fine!

Thank you everyone for the reassurance! This was exactly what I needed. I will stop googling now!

I don't have hypothyroidism, but last pregnancy my dd was measuring over a week behind until the 7th week, so give it some time! I'm sure if they are getting you medicated right now then everything will be perfectly fine :hugs:

Hello. I have two daughters and I have hypothyroidism ( due to autoimmune disorder) anyhow, I think some of those complications you were mentioning are due to untreated hypothyroidism. Now that your levels have been detected, they will put you on a pill and you can have a perfectly normal, healthy pregnancy. My girls were 8 lbs 10 oz and 9 lb 1 oz, so no slow development there! They are great, so just take your medication and your doctor should regularly check your blood levels as your dosage may need to be adjusted as you throughout your pregnancy ( mine was checked every 4-6 wks, but my dr is very conservative. It should be continually monitored though, even if not as often as mine were) best wishes!

I also have hypothyroidism and we do wonder if it caused my mmc in jan, HOWEVER, I had not been taking my meds due to an insurance issue. That pg was completely unplanned. Yes, being hypo can cause complications, but usually only severe if left untreated. The 1st 12 wks are critical, after that baby starts making it's own thyroid hormones. GL! Happy and healthy nine months!!

Don't freak out! My mom has the same problem... since her late teens, actually. She managed to have me WITHOUT any medication, and I turned out just fine. I have a college education, a two year old son, and one on the way. (did I mention I work for NASA?)

My mom was told she couldn't have any more kids. Then, seven years later, unexpectedly became pregnant with my younger brother. They told her then to TAKE her medication, and stick to it, or she could lose the baby. My brother had a couple of very minor problems as a baby, which he outgrew as he got older. He's now a perfectly healthy adult.

So no stress. :) Take your meds and follow doctors orders. You and baby will be fine.

:hugs: Hun! I developed Graves (hyper) and didn't know I was until about eight weeks pregnant. I was living in China and the dr suggested I terminate in order to get it under control. I didn't and moved home....the dr we have is amazing and he was born perfectly this last Jan. He gave us the okay to start ttc again!
Don't google!! Often times thyroid conditions mellow out in the second and third trimester :flower:
Congratulations!!

as everyone else said, as long as you take your medication there is NO need to worry whatsoever. I also have a thyroid underfunction and had no problems with my pregnancy and have a very happy healthy and bright 14 months year old :) good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->