Hypothyroidism

Mrs B.

Reaction score
Anyone got any experiences with hypothyroidism, particularly any who were diagnosed in the 1st try (and therefore untreated beforehand)? I was getting early cold in the early weeks so pushed for a thyroid test, and after waiting over a week, I get a call today from the docs saying they want to see me this week about my bloods. They didn't want to wait until next week. I can only assume that means I'm not in the normal range otherwise they wouldn't want to see me. I'm also assuming I would be hypo thyroid given it was feeling cold that made me test for it. I'm 10 weeks and worried that I'm at increased miscarriage risk because it's been untreated, or more pregnancy complications or risk to the baby's development. Ugh.

Thankfully thyroid meds work rather quickly. I got diagnosed and put on meds the month before we conceived. Make sure if they give you meds you take them on an empty stomach with a glass full of water and eat nothing for at least an hour after... The fact you're getting it fixed now is a great thing...

Very odd appt. apparently I have super low tsh and elevated t3, which is suggestive of hyperthyroid (of which I have no symptoms and it would do the opposite of making me cold!). Doc said she wasn't too worried about the low tsh on its own as it can go low in pregnancy for some women, and she suspects the machine might not be giving accurate readings given some other results she's had, so I've had more bloods taken to go to a different hospital for testing! She's expecting the t3 to come back normal so hopefully that's what will happen. T4 was in the normal range. Fingers crossed all is well with the results next week! I guess I'm just a cold person... really need to move to a warmer climate.

Very odd appt. apparently I have super low tsh and elevated t3, which is suggestive of hyperthyroid (of which I have no symptoms and it would do the opposite of making me cold!). Doc said she wasn't too worried about the low tsh on its own as it can go low in pregnancy for some women, and she suspects the machine might not be giving accurate readings given some other results she's had, so I've had more bloods taken to go to a different hospital for testing! She's expecting the t3 to come back normal so hopefully that's what will happen. T4 was in the normal range. Fingers crossed all is well with the results next week! I guess I'm just a cold person... really need to move to a warmer climate.
Even when I was hyper I was always cold..

I'm always cold and I've been popping up as borderline hyperthyroid for years on tests (always on the exact bottom of the normal range for TSH and normal for everything else). I was tested again around 8 weeks and it was the first time my TSH had dropped below the range, so the baby/hormones are definitely getting me out of whack.

What were your actual results?

Tsh - 0.014 (very low)
T4 - around 14 (in range)
T3 - 6.5 ... 0.5 over the top of the range given by the lab. Doc thinks this one might be high due to a faulty machine. Got new results coming next week from a different lab!

(Edited to correct results now I've checked the paperwork!)

Ooh the tsh is low. That said i think the t3 looks ok? I thiught the range went up to 8?

But still in terms of your concerns the t3 looks good which i think is the important one in terms of babies??

Just double-checked... t3 was 6.5 and the normal lab range is up to 6, so it's only just over. I also read that the range for t3 is usually a little higher than the lab suggests. At least if it is over, it's borderline. Hopefully my results next week will show it in normal range, but I guess I'm still going to be on the hyperthyroid borderline. T4 was actually 14, not 12, but still normal. I think it's a positive that my t4 is well within normal range. My tsh is super low though! I'm assuming 0 is the minimum so I can't get much lower!! Doc said about 3% of women in pregnancy have a strangely low tsh so she's not going to diagnose a thyroid problem based on that alone. My tsh was 2 a while ago when I had it checked as part of the infertility blood tests, so I know it used to be in range at least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"