• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

I avoided a csection and induction....just!

Oxygen7880

Me and my baby girl :)
Reaction score
This is my birth story. So I was due a placental scan at 36 wks to make sure it was no longer covering my cervix. During my midwife app 2 days before, my bump growth had slowed and so the scan was changed to a growth and placental scan. Anyway I went to the scan and the sonography told me all looked great and baby was measuring on track. I waited to see the consultant and expected to be discharged and left to birth naturally. I was totally shocked when the consultant told me the baby was breech and protocol dictated that she book me in for a c section at 39 wks. I was totally shocked since baby was engaged two days earlier when midwife checked.
Anyway I tried to get my head around it and grieve my natural birth (I went naturally on my due date with my lg but ended up needing a ventouse after a very speedy labour). Part of me couldn't accept it though and I never felt I would actually have the section. At my pre op 2 days before the booked section, I was scanned and low and behold the baby was head down and engaged! I was so happy. But the the midwife I saw said that she was still a little concerned about the slowdown in my bump measurements and so she sent me for yet another growth scan the same day. The sonographer again said everything looked fine and baby was approx 7lb 1. So as I waited to see the doctor again, I was so happy thinking that yet again I would be discharged to await my natural labour. WRONG! the doctor I saw said that since I was 39 weeks that they may as well induce me since my chart showed slow down in growth. I wasn't happy because the scans had shown that my baby was growing fine. I did however feel pressured and so she rang and booked me in for the following day! :cry: The midwife then prepared to give me a sweep which was another thing I hadn't wanted. Just as she slapped on the latex gloves, the doc was on the phone checking with a senior consultant about my induction. Thankfully the consultant said that an induction was not necessary since the scans looked fine and baby movement was fine. Phew! So I quickly closed my legs and got out of there, but not before they booked me a placenta fluid level scan. Anyway I attended the scan the following wk and all was fine again. I told then again that I did not want inducing or a sweep. I was booked in for another scan the following week when I would be 41 weeks pregnant. Anyway I was so praying that labour would start and spare me all this pressure but alas my due date came and went.
40+4 I had a bloody show which is how my labour with my girl had started, so I was so excited. Got a some period type pains that varied in intensity but then stopped. 40+5 I had a midwife app. She measured my bump and it was even smaller! So we both knew that if I didn't go into labour that day then I would be booked in for induction the next day during my hospital app. I felt desperate, so close and yet so far, I agreed to a sweep because I had to try anything to help me start labour before my app tomorrow at 8.45am.
That evening the period type pains returned and gradually got more and more painful and I knew I was then in labour. I went to the birth centre around 1am and I was 3/4cm and my cervix was all thinned out and ready. My contractions were between 3-5 mins apart and I kept expecting them to get closer. With my daughter my contractions started at less than 2 mins apart and never changed, hence why labour was only 6hrs. This time though they never shortened. I was dealing with them ok but in obvious agony. I bounced on a birthing ball and went into a trance like state where I tried to welcome each contraction and imagined it dilating my cervix. About 4/5am I started doubting myself and I thought that when the midwife checks me again at 6am, I won't be able to cope if she says I'm only 4/5cm. Thankfully when she checked me I was 7cm but she could stretch it around babies head. This made me more determined. I went back to bouncing on the ball and used gas and air through the contractions. Eventually I had to get up because I felt like I was sat on babies head! I got on the bed and sat on my knees with my body leaning against the back of the bed. I started to feel so much pressure like I need the toilet! It was time to push. Wow I never knew how painful it could be, with my daughter I never felt the urge to push and ended up with a ventouse delivery. I pushed and pushed. My waters still hadn't gone and it was making pushing even harder. The midwife checked me and said baby was really low and had lots of hair! I think she popped my waters (intentionally or not) and water gushed everywhere but it felt a relief. I continued pushing and that ring of fire I had read about was soooo true. Man it hurt but I did it and babies head came out. I had to wait for another contraction (still 4/5 mins apart) but before that the baby started to wiggle out so I pushed and out popped my baby boy. The midwife passed him straight up through my legs. We had delayed cord clamping and skin to skin. I needed stitches too. Ethan James was born 9.01am 7lb 13 oz on the same morning that I was due my scan and likely being booked for induction.
Hardest thing I have ever done but so worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"