I cant believe her..!

Woooh no! give her the money sell the other on ebay and buy one you want thats NEW and not had a million babies sleeping in it! (slight exagration i know but you get what i mean :) ) she never has to know just say you brought replacement covers for it! :D

She may want her old one back to pass on again though csmummu

i think id be honest with her... she was a mum once, she must be able to relate :)

I'm not sure how annoyed I'd be...but it is your baby and if you want a particular car seat you should be able to have it. I agree with some of the others, I'd just give her the money back and say that you'd feel more comfortable with a new one, suggest she keep it for her car when she takes the baby out!
I'm using a second hand one, it was used for my nieces and is only a few years old. I know where's it's been, so I'm very comfortable with it...but to each their own!

if it had been in an accident, i'm sure your MIL would let you know x x x x x a freebie is better than one that cost £100. right?

She may want her old one back to pass on again though csmummu

VERY good point! :dohh:

Give her back the money and own up saying you want the one you want! and buy it out of your own money like you would have anyways. she can keep hers for when you go and visit :) (with no intention of using it thoug ) :muaha:

Only thing is, we have no money whatsoever, so if we give her the money back we would have to have her old one because we couldn't afford one.

She hasn't brought anything for the baby yet apart from packs of wipes that were on sale for a fiver at asda! We've had to buy everything and i don't think its fair as it's her grandchild too, and they have WAY more money than us.

If she wants her money back i'll just give it her and put up with the old one untill i can afford a new one. A carseat isn't totally important for us anyway because my mum can't drive anymore no-one in my house drives, so only time we'd really be in a car is when we are at hers xx

If you aren't going to use the car seat that often and you dont have money to buy your own I would just have it. It wont make that much difference if you are only using it a few times and you would be able to spend your money on something else :) xx

I think your right in saying you want a brand new one, as if you read the guidelines for car seats, they should be replaced (i think).

Cx

I cant see why she cant give you the money instead! I personally would want a new one, ive bought loads of second hand stuff but I wanted a new car seat and pram, but tbh if your that skint take the old one (if shes 100% sure its not been in a accident ) and ask if u can get something else out of the money- e.g monitor etc. Im cheeky tho!!!!!

Mmmmm its a difficult one, as you would only be using the car seat when you are with her then I would just give her the money back and use the one she has.

If you drove then I would probably argue that a new one is needed. Also if your only going to be using it when you see her and you really want a new one do you have to get a maxi cosi one ? Can't you just get a cheaper one as im presuming the icandy comes with the carry cot so you wouldn't actually need the car seat attachment ?

Im wondering if thats maybe why she is wanting you to have the other one ? Even if you have lots of money £100 is a lot to spend on something that is not going to be used that often.

I would be moody about it. She gave you the money towards the one you really wanted. She is the impatient one and just had to go out and buy another one which is not right. She should have just left it for you to buy. Sorry sweets

Edit: Oh its not new the one that she already got? Omg heck no. Buy a new one! You don't chance using seats that were already used. So many also get recalled every year. Hugs

I would want a new car seat too. But you cant make her give you money just because she has more than you do. She may be the grandma but at the end of the day she has no obligation to buy anything. I didn't expect it of mine or his parents, nor did they buy us anything. His parents have way more money then we do. Our baby, we need to buy for her. x

Hun, it's my understanding that unless you leave the hospital walking they will not let you out unless you have a carseat and know how to use it. Even to leave in a taxi I believe they make you have a carseat.

There can be waiting times for new ones, one girl on here waited 8 or 10 weeks for her carseat to come into the shop, so really you should have had this organised a while back. But you are where you are, and you have to look at your options. You can't afford to buy one, you don't need one particularly often and as far as I can see this car seat is reasonably new (seems to be about 3 years old so its not like 10 years old and out of saftey standards, but I am sure you can look this up) and I presume it's not been in any accidents? It's your MIL not some stranger from ebay so you should be able to know if she would lie about it having been in an accident. So all in all, I don't think you are in a great position to refuse just because its not the pattern you want.

Ultimately its your baby not your MIL'S, so it's your choice thats for sure, but it's also your responsibility not hers just because they have more money than you. Your baby hun.

IMO I'd take the carseat if you can't afford a new one since she's helping you out by getting it. Just because it's used doesn't mean it's no good. This baby will be using his brothers carseat which is almost 3years old now.

I know it'd be nice if she'd buy you a new carseat, but since it's not her baby she's under no obligation even being the gramma. If you guys really really want a new one then give her her money back and explain why. Then save up to get a new one. Possibly she'll just let you buy a new one with the money if you explain to her how you're feeling.

Id also want a new one. Just politely decline her offer and say that you have your heart set on the certain colour and the fact that it's all brand new and buy it yourself. If she can't understand that, then she is being unreasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->